Q as a Wireless Modem

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by dan99mp, Jul 7, 2006.

1. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Yes tethering can be done with a desktop PC.
  2. acarter00

acarter00 Member

I figured I would share my experiences with using the Q as a wireless modem. I am an online student at Unversity of Phoenix, so I thought I would give the Q a spin as a modem. So far, I am pretty amazed how fast the network connection is. Since I dropped the $10 / 500 messages plan (thanks to the Verizon customers w/Unlimited Data...FREE text! thread>>> http://www.everythingq.com/forum/motorola-q/verizon-customers-w-unlimited-data-free-text-2487.html), I figured why not splurge $5 and add the Unlimited BBA feature. I connected my laptop and Q via Bluetooth and it was fairly easy to set-up (with technical supports assistance of course :tounge: ). If anyone is paying for a subscription with T-Mobile for like Starbucks or Borders, I would definately recommend trying this out. It works very well!!!!! I will keep sharing my thoughts as I use it more.
  3. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

Okay...

when teethering does Verizon record the data transfer that is occuring on your pc or not?

Also, Verizon says 5gb a month or streaming 1 hour a day for 30 days or 10 hours a day for 7 days will set them off and cause a termination.

Just surfing(heavy), streaming Sirius and emailson my Q I am doing between 500MB to 1GB depending on how much Sirius I play in a given month. Teethering can easily set me over 5GB :angry:

Honestly, I should have just gone with Cingular due to teethering options. The new BB 8800 kicks ass. Of course for true unlimited and teethering one pays $75 a month plus phone but I am willing to pay a little more for a service. Dunno why Verizon hasnt figured that shit out and a way to make extra revenue/profit for their shareholders. Great in phone service but stupid management when it comes to data.

Trent
  4. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Yes the data being transfered while tethered to your PC does show up on your account.

Unless you are downloading huge amounts of data, you can go pretty far with 5GB. Just check your usage during the month.
  5. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I am online for an hour about 4 days a week plus auto push email all day. I have not hit 1 GB yet. In fact, the month where I watched two football games on my Q via slingbox, I still only hit 1.1. I would think you would have to kill the he** out of internet usage to hit that mark.
  6. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

Thank you for the replies.

What I do not understand is that on my Q box it says as a feature, one can use their Q as a modem to their laptop using Broadbandconnect. But according to what I am hearing is that Verizon disabled this option?

Also, under the contract we all signed but did not really read, says we cannot teether or stream. BUT YET...Handigo which supplies software for the Q, offers such i.e. PDAnet, Mobitv, etc.

Trent
  7. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

You can use your Q as a modem like the box says, Verizon just wants you to pay them an extra $15 a month to do it.
  8. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

Really cause I will pay the $15. It beats the hell out of paying Comcast $61 a month albeit the speed is 5 times faster with DSL.

Was wondering if you knew if the 5GB "lights go off" at Verizon crap still applied if still paying the $15 route?

Trent
  9. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Not sure on that one. You are going to have to break out the magnify glass and read the fine print. Maybe somebody else knows.
  10. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

Well I read the fine print at verizonwireless.com and the same message for the phone is in the contract for Broadband Access. They acutally bold that long paragraph about what is illegal and constitutes termination.

I just do not see how 5gb a month is duable coming from someone like me who is a HEAVY internet surfing especially on weekends. And how Verizon expects one to never stream anything while online such as Sirius, movie trailers, abc.com shows, etc. I usually stream Sirius in the background while surfing with AIM, YIM, and a few chat rooms open all at once. And shopping with some pages opening up around 500k each.

I guess I will have to give it a month test run.
    Trent
  11. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Track your usage for a month or two and see how much data you are using. Let us know how it comes out for you. I am looking at getting a Slingbox so I will be tracking my usage as well. I will keep you posted.
  12. PNut

PNut New Member

FYI - Verizon is running a promo that anyone with an unlimited data package can receive free month of their $15 per month tethering service.

The woman was less than pleased when I pointed out that I would never do that when I could spend almost the same money for PDAnet software which they were kind enough to put alink to the purchase site right on my homescreen! I am pretty the angry keystrokes she let loose with after that statement were flagging my account...
  13. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Let me get this right, vzw was adverising pdanet?? Hopfully you didn't shove pdanet in heir face as an alternative?? That would be a really poor choice in trying to keep our tethering options open.
  14. tbone1771

tbone1771 New Member

Well I am on Sprint and they do make available the software to use the Q as a USB modem but since they have not bothered to update the software to be compatible with Vista I can't tell you how well it works. Once they do I will post my results here.

Tbone
  15. daggett

daggett New Member

Yep - pdanet works - kinda

Have installed pdanet. It works. Don't use it often but when I have had to power off-on my phone to reestablish the initial connection. Once it is running, if the cell signal is strong, all works well.
  16. M A V I C

M A V I C New Member

Is that with their tethering plan, or without?
  17. tbone1771

tbone1771 New Member

Not sure what you mean, I have the unlimited data/Internet and they hype the fact that you can use the phone as a modem so I would assume it does not matter what plan you are on.

I have found a work-around to get past the Vista incompatibility, you need to follow this steps:

1) Download the Sprint Mobile Broadband software from the Sprint website
    2) Once it is installed, right-click on the shortcut for the software and select properties.
    3) Click on the Compatibility Tab and check the Run this Program in compatibility mode for and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop-down menu.
    4) Click ok at the bottom.
    5) Now when you want to run the program, right-click on the short-cut and select Run As Administrator.
    6) Once the program is running, connect your Q and click on Start-->Accessories-->Modem Link to establish a modem connect between the Q and your computer/laptop.
    7) You will see the details of your Q and the connection in the Sprint Broadband software.

Hope this Helps,

Tbone
  18. M A V I C

M A V I C New Member

Sprint has two main data plans - Vision & Phone As Modem (PAM)/tethering. Vision gets the data to the phone, PAM gets it to the phone and then to an attached computer. PAM costs extra (starts at $40/mo atop your existing plan.) There are ways to use Vision to get your computer online. So I was asking if you have the PAM plan or not.

They hype paying for PAM.

Years ago I switched to Sprint because their data was included. I could dialup (though very slowly) via my 2G phone on a regular plan. Then they came out with Vision and gave you full access for $10/mo but with 3G.

I just got a Q but am about to return it if they don't make some serious concessions on my plan. Before I got tethering, picture mail, unlimited data and unlimited text messaging. The Q required I upgrade to Power Vision for $5/mo. What they didn't tell me was I lost my tethering, unlimited text messaging and picture mail.

What I was getting for $10/mo before they now want for $75/mo. That's all atop my plan which is $60/mo.
  19. tbone1771

tbone1771 New Member

Ok, I understand what you meant. I am not sure they plan to enforce the difference. I was told that I would lose picture mail and unlimited text messenging but I figured the trade off was worth it. I guess we will have to see it I go over some data limit while using my Q as a modem. I don't think I will since it will be very rare that I even use it as a modem. Thanks for the clarification.

Tbone
  20. ZATZAi

ZATZAi New Member

Yah 5MB is nothing, I've seen forum posts that are eaily twice that... I would be worried with just my email eating through that, thats probably barely enough for SMS and nothing much more...

What the others where saying was that they can't tell how your requesting the data, be it from the cell or a tethered computer. If you have to dial #777 to tether on VZW, I could sE how they could moniter that, as they probably register the call. But PDA-NET... I would think they would have to guess b data usage, certainly there would be a noticeable spike..