Q as a Wireless Modem

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by dan99mp, Jul 7, 2006.

1. thegbees

thegbees New Member

Help a newbie with tethering please!!!

ok, so i've consistently found that this board has the most helpful people around (enough buttering up yet?) so i'm hoping someone can walk me through the tethering setup.

i saw the step by step instructions, and i was doing ok until i tried to download the driver from: http://studentwebs.kings.edu/andrewkonopczyk/gadgets_stuff/apps_tools/moto_q/qdriver.zip

everytime i try to download it (and unzipit) i get an .inf file, which when i run add hardware, the computer doesn't recognize it. given all the postings here, i'm sure i'm screwing something up.

hhhhelp!

thanks

scott
  2. Mikael

Mikael New Member

Not true. The instant you start tethering they can tell. This is coming from a vzw employee. Keep it under control and they don't care.
  3. redhatone

redhatone New Member

I don't believe that for one second just because a VZW employee said it. All the phone sends is data or voice. That's all they can tell. With the unlimited data packages out there, why would they care? Not trying to start an argument, it's just I really doubt that they can tell. Of course they would like you to believe they could without offering proof. :) Guess I should have been from Missouri.
  4. Mikael

Mikael New Member

Friend of mine, higher level. As i and others said, if you keep the usage reasonable (under 4 gigs a month) they won't take issue.
  5. brookspw

brookspw New Member

Using these steps, at the beginning after step 6 -- are we downloading the driver on the Q or on the laptop? I'm confused.
  6. tshot

tshot New Member

I have an VZW unlimited data plan and use my Q as a modem all the time from my laptop while I am traveling.

My Q came with a CD that gave me the driver for the Q DUN connection.
    (its on the Active Sync CD)

All I did was go into Start/Accessories/Modem Link and activate. I set 2 DUNS, one Bluetooth and 1 Tethered. Bluetooth connects at 114Kbps and the tether is 200+ Kbps. First bill showed nothing unusual.

Hope that helps someone
  7. brookspw

brookspw New Member

Thanks for the reply. Couple of questions from someone less versed in such things.
    1. Did you otherwise follow the instructions set forth in the DUN link on the first page of this thread?
    2. To what # do you "dial up".
    3. What is your procedure for ending a tethered DUN session?
    4. On which device do I need the driver? Q or laptop, and where do I get it?

Thanks mucho.
  8. tshot

tshot New Member

Hope that helps
  9. brookspw

brookspw New Member

I cant log in - I am connected but it wont accept my username and password. I am using #@vzw3g.com and vzw.
  10. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Are you paying for tethering? If not, what you are doing won't work. They've locked DUN down using the #777.

PDAnet would be the alternative.
  11. googull

googull New Member

PDA using Q as a modem - sounds silly but isn't.

Anyone have experience setting up a blue-tooth connection from a PDA (like an iPAQ) to use the Q as a modem?
  12. DRyan796413

DRyan796413 New Member

I realize this probably wont get answered cuz the last message was like 3 months ago lol but it's worth a shot. I'm with Bell in Canada, so I dont know how many people will be familiar with what they do or whatever but I'm wondering, with pdanet do you get charged for internet usage? I'm going on vacation soon so the only way I can get online with my laptop would be using my Q as a modem. I just dont wanna come home to a huge suprise bill. So any info would be much appreciated.
  13. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

you will not get a larger bill with PdaNet. they willnot know you are using it. i recommend using it for surfing, chatting, email, and not for like limewire or something with extreme data usage. however i did use PdaNet last weekend to stream my slingbox for a couple hours at the airport ;)
  14. DRyan796413

DRyan796413 New Member

So it doesnt matter if you dont have the unlimited data plan? or ANY data plan for that matter?
  15. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

You better have the unlimited data plan if you are going to use the Q as a modem! You should have some sort of data plan if you surf on your Q as well. Otherwise you might get a surprise monster bill.
  16. DRyan796413

DRyan796413 New Member

I have the lowest data plan, 5MB per month. Thats what I was worried about, I dont wanna get nailed with a suprise bill. So even with PDANET my bill will be much larger than usual?
  17. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Yes if you go over your limit which you probably will, you could get a big bill. With that limited plan I would not use your phone as a modem and I would monitor your data usage closely.
  18. DRyan796413

DRyan796413 New Member

damn, that sucks. I got my hopes up when I read "they wont know you're using it". I thought maybe it meant they wont know you're using the net at all, wishful thinking I guess.
  19. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

You have 5mb plan? Jesus, from just surfing, emails, and streaming Sirius I do around 500mb a month.

Can teethering be done with a desktop pc?

Trent
  20. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

yes

to the question i answered above i had no idea you meant you wanted to tether without a data plan. my Q would be almost useless without the unlimited data (slingbox, orb, email, IM, google, windows live search, etc...)