Q as a Wireless Modem

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by dan99mp, Jul 7, 2006.

1. dan99mp

dan99mp New Member

2. Q estion

Q estion New Member

yeah you can...why wouldnt you be able to?
  3. pauljcote

pauljcote New Member

because Verizon disabled it. I called them and you cannot use your phone for a modem for your laptop. The phone can do it but Verizon is blocking using it like that.
  4. grg984

grg984 New Member

I am using my q as a modem right now

I use pdanet to connect my q to my computer anywhere i have digital service. I recieve 110-150 kb/s in 1x service and 300-400 kb/s in EVDO service areas. I would like to share my q's broadband with my playstation 2 by sharing through my computer. Can anyone help me with this? I can get the playstation 2 to recognize the connection by sharing but in DNAS authentification I recieve a 611 error. How do I share my broadband q connection with my ps2?
  5. jbaraga

jbaraga New Member

PDANet works great with the Q. I connect my laptop daily using PDANet, and I have tested my speeds as high as 800 kbps on occasion, although the speed is usually in the 400-500 kbps range.
  6. mf87

mf87 New Member

7. pauljcote

pauljcote New Member

what is pdanet and where do you get it?
  8. pauljcote

pauljcote New Member

9. Q estion

Q estion New Member

OOOOOkay guys... I have good news for you all.

Use the steps that are given in the Tethered DUN tutorial. it works, i figured it out. once you finish everything the tut tells you to do, disconnect the USB cable completely. THEN go in and activate your Q as the Modem, once this is done, go to your dialer like you normally would try to do, and BINGO.... I think the Q just gets confused when you try to do it all at once. It is a USB device...so treat it like one. LOL
  10. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

why would you pay for pda net when you can do it for free from the directions in the link above?

also if you want to share the connection with your ps2 then you need to have wireless on the pc you connect the ps2 to or a cable connection then enable sharing that connection in the properties section of that connection (wireless or cable) and then you can share the connection.

i have tested this by creating a shared wifi connection on my laptop while it was tethered to the Q and i was able to play xbox360 online thru the Q and still surf the webwith my laptop.

man i luv the Q :D
  11. Q estion

Q estion New Member

what kind of ping were you getting with that? i cant imagine its very low... I know its broadband speeds but its still no where near as fast as DSL or Cable.
  12. pauljcote

pauljcote New Member

I wish I had read about this before ordering that software.
  13. myersguy

myersguy New Member

Pdanet

Pdanet works great. you can get it from Handango or from smartphopne.net. My speeds were very good as well just like the others.
  14. NexusCore

NexusCore New Member

I'm working on trying to get this to work with my Laptop, but I'm not too successful right now...I'll let you know if I get it!
  15. sasher

sasher New Member

PdaNet works great - But be careful of Verizon!

Hello all,
    We've been testing PDANet, and it seems to work very well. In our coverage area, we are getting EVDO, with ~2Mbps throughput, with ~320ms latency.

The system works well with our SSL VPN, and Terminal Services access is very usable. All in all, pretty decent.

BUT...

Read your Verizon terms of service VERY CAREFULLY...

Teathering the phone is technically a violation of the TOS. You may be able to pay the extra $15 for desktop service, and stay 'legal'.
    But also be aware that Verizon 'unlimited' net access is NOT unlimited. Verizon has been unceremoniously terminating heavy users, with no chance of appeal. The bandwidth usage that will get you terminated is not published, but recent consensus is:
    • 3 months of more than 5GB per month
    • 1 month of more than 10GB
    ... Will get you dumped. The good news is that you won't have to pay a termination fee (although their new terms of service DOES allow them to do so, so don't count on it).

More here: VERIZON TERMINATED MY SERVICE :: EVDOforums.com
  16. JUMPMARK

JUMPMARK New Member

settings help?

when im tethered, I get a sloooow...connection, around 1.2kbps. never higher than 2. Settings help anyone?
  17. RSmikle

RSmikle New Member

hows ur reception....? the same thing happens to me when I have 1-2 bars but more than that and the connection speed is great!!!:thumbup:
  18. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

The good thing is that I'm pretty certain VZW cannot tell whether or not you are tethered -- from their end it should look like a standard #777 call loading up normal web-pages. If you setup a VPN connection, even better :thumbup: .

For those of you getting slow connections -- are you always getting slow connections? I can download @ approximately 12-17 KB/s on 1-2 bars and ~ 35-50 KB/s with better signal quality. However, no matter what my signal quality, I think VZW bottelnecks extended periods of data (just to anger you? or perhaps a more technical networking reason...) because during a period of heavy use (surfing while downloading a file/instant messaging), my connection will slow to 1 - 3 KB/s for anywhere between 10 sec to 5 min, then pick back up.

For those that already bought PDAnet, I've heard it works MUCH better than the built in DUN support (no battery pulling if you do steps out of order required :happy: ), however I didn't pay the $15 for it simply because I'm not trying to buy something to encourage me to "violate TOS" and lose my data-plan (even if it's a little over-price IMO)
  19. bigsef2

bigsef2 New Member

do you think theres a way i could connect my q directly to my 360 and play games that way?
  20. redhatone

redhatone New Member

Read this entire thread and it talked me into trying it. Works awesome and is easy to install and run. Practically does it itself! It's a great addition.