Q as a modem

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by cheezykiwi, Sep 11, 2007.

1. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

I do know that I have EVDO with Verizon and my Q, but the info about the CDMA 1X was useful to know. The Q is new knowledge to me, up to this point I merely used my cell phone for calls, texts, and Get It Now...lol...And have always used WiFi for my laptop connection needs when I was traveling.

I am so glad I got my Q, I have already done all I needed with it...Used the Q itself to access the web, tethered it to my laptop, loaded movie-clip video (well what I could fit on my Q's internal storage, as a test for when I get my 2 Gig MiniSD card), music, games, ....yada, yada...I'm thrilled at what I got. Love my Q. :wink:
  2. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Did you mean that the PDAnet will "not" BT with the mac instaed of only. I found to BT with the PC fine.

Also I have a V2.0 class 1 EDR ASUS WL-BTD201M Bluetooth dongle that spec at 3Mpbs and I only get about 800 Kbs in EVDO so I really don't notice a difference with the cable. Things are never as advertised so there might be a drop, but not so much as I notice.

Thanks for pointing out another alternative. I took a quick peek at USB Modem and it only lists WM 5.0 & 6.0 operating systems and doesn't mention WM 5.0 for Smartphones. Nice to hear a report that it works on the Q as it's cheaper at $20 although not as convenient and automatic as PDAnet. Some people have to give up quality due to finances and it will work for you Mac users.

Good post.
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you may have mentioned that you love your Q :} i checked it out and it is pretty great & fast also. i can think of a few situations in the past months where i could have used this... ahwell, better late then never.
  4. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Great to hear your enjoying and getting full (almost) use out of your Q. I only say (almost) because after 9 months I'm still finding things to do or add to my overall experience.
  5. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

Nope, PDAnet will only allow you to tether the Q to the mac via bluetooth and you have to find a pc to get it installed on your Q. You can not tether to the mac via a usb cable with PDANet becasue it requires active sync.

For some of us that are dual booting between the Mac OS and Windows XP it is not a problem.

Mobile Stream's USB modem will allow a Mac user to tether via bluetooth and also tether via the USB cable.

I am actually posting this using USB modem on a Mac with my Q. Allthough the set-up of the USB Modem on a Mac is more involved than on a PC, once configured it works great.
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ps. is it always "loaded"... or as we use to call it is it always resident ?
  7. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

From what I can tell yes PDANet is, the program will start when the Q starts up. You can stop it by either going into the app and clicking stop or killing it from the running apps screen. If you do it will not be recognized by PDANet watcher on your laptop. You would have to disconnect it and restart PDANet.

Mobile-stream USB Modem is not. You have to manually start and stop it.
  8. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Yes it's always resident on both the Q and PC. On the PC side you can either configure it to automatically connect when Activesync connects or just be ready to click and connect. I like the 2nd option as it shows it's available when you Activesync and it quickly connects with an icon in the bottom right of your PC screen. But you probably already know that.
  9. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Thanks for the clarification.
  10. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

No problem. Sometimes I wonder if I am clear in what I am saying. It makes sense in my head but after I type it you wonder.

Maybe I need a tech writing class or two.
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it's not possible to kill it in the Task Manager, and on the Q i tried starting PDANet but nothing happens so no stop avail, and i am not worried about it being resident, just like to know things ;}
  12. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I know what you mean....I'm always clear to me...oh maybe not always....
  13. motoqme

motoqme New Member

If you were on my shoes them you may want to take about 20 writing class.

Can we make this site on spanish please!!!!!! :laugh2:
  14. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

I know PDANet is kind of funny that way, somtimes it will show up in the task manager and sometimes it won't.

I found that if I wanted to make sure it showed up, go to PDANet on the phone, then hit the start button and go to the task manager. For some reason it you start the app ( it is actually allways running ) so that you can see it and go straight to the task manager it would show up. Then you can kill it.

You have me thinking now and that is dangerous, but I wonder if it was a false kill and was only killing the PDANet display but still running?
  15. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I don't usually see PDAnet in Task Manager but do find it in WM 5.0 Task Manager 3rd party app under processes. Been running resident on my Q for 8 month w/o a problem.
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

no biggie... it can sit there for all i care :}

and i can not be held responsible for you thinking all of a sudden.
  17. cheezykiwi

cheezykiwi New Member

what is EVDO?

also, if i buy the program for $34 bucks, can i install it on more then one computer?
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

click here to read about EVDO.

i don't exactly know the TOS of PDANet.
  19. blaidan

blaidan New Member

Just got PdaNet and it will be perfect for me for the few times that I need it. I travel to San Diego to see family a few times a year and that is really the only time I need something like this so as to avoid WiFi charges.

Question. I have Sprint. for the few times a year that I would use PdaNet to tether my Q should I be concerned about them "catching" me doing something I shouldn't be doing?
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i don't think you need to worry, don't Sprint customers still have a real unlimited data plan ?