Q as a modem

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by cheezykiwi, Sep 11, 2007.

1. cheezykiwi

cheezykiwi New Member

Q as a modem

does anyone know what i need to do to use the Q as a way of connecting to the internet with my laptop? i know they do this for blackberrys but i don't know what I need to do to set it up for the Q.

THANKS in advance!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

search for PDAnet
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you need software called PDANet, do a search and you'll find more information on it...
  4. cheezykiwi

cheezykiwi New Member

is there a free version or should i just pay the $34 to install? is this a one time fee ?
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you can use the trial first then purchse it later
    and yes its only a 1 time fee
  6. venumx

venumx New Member

Yeah, definitely pay the $34 to install it. If you are having a hard time grasping how good of a deal that is, just take into consideration carriers charge a base of about $39.99 per month to add phone as modem to your account, that is if they even offer it. So a one time deal of $34 doesn't set you back even close to as much as carriers would :)
  7. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Definitely worth the money. I saved $12 a day WiFi charges last week in Vegas and you don't have to be located in a specific hotspot. EV is better naturally.

Probably one of the better programs I've bought for my Q. Haven't heard anybody post and glitches or problems.
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

does this truly work as good as all you say ?.. haven;t really had a need for it but you nerve know right, i did think about it while we were driving to Michigan a few weeks back.. instead i messed around with home screens :}
  9. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Have I lied to you yet? Or better yet have you caught me yet?

Yes on EVDO it's like DSL. It's works with your Activesync connection either USB or BT. My hotel room's window faced the Northwest away from the nearest cell tower and I got a better signal right at the window so I plugged my wall charger in and placed my Q on the window sill. Then I established the BT Activesync connection to the laptop on the desk and connected to PDAnet. There I was surfing for free. I borrowed a bunch of CD's from a gal and ripped them with Windows Media and it found the albums and song titles just like at home. Like I said hotel wanted $12/day.
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

that does sound good... i had free high speed at the place we stayed in Michigan but never the less there are other places where i would like to be able to use my laptop WITH internet. and no, i have not yet caught you lying to me... and i even think i got a regged version of PDA (hopefully, i can be a cheap bastard :}, never bothered to check it out, but i think i might just have to now.

thanks !
  11. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I had Free High Speed in the Vegas Airport so I was surfing EQ (catching up) while steaming Slingbox on my Q at the same time. I was luck to find 2 open electrical sockets.

Have I told you I love my Q.
  12. jim-g

jim-g New Member

If You use VZW, try their program & option to use your Q as a modem. Works great, like DSL as long as you are in EVDO area bit slower, like 90 Kbps with 1X.
  13. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

It's my understanding that in order to use PDAnet I would have to have a dat plan with my carrier (Verizon), is that correct? I am currently on the unlimited data plan and pay $15 extra per month for Verizons tethering so I can use my Q as a modem for my laptop, and if I plan to drop it I'd like to give PDANet a go.

now the previous poster states that he is getting 90 kbps with 1X, do you mean you only get 90 kbps download speeds with only 1 'bar' signal strength??
    I'm getting around 500 kbps with 1 or 2 bars. I used SpeakEasy speed test to check...:laugh2:
  14. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

Just be careful if you are verizon, there are a lot of threads about people being droped for using their Q as a modem. From what I can tell it violates your terms of service and I believe there is a Limit on how much data you can transfer.
  15. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

You're talking about being dropped for using the PDANet for the tethering right?
    I was looking for that Limit, but as of yet not seen it. If so, that's basically false terms of contract on their part...we'll see though I guess. Doubt I will use 5Gigs of data in a month though.
  16. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

Yeah, if you do not have a tethering contract with them and use software like PDA Net or Mobile Stream's USB Modem and are caught Verizon will drop you. As for the gig limit I have read several stories that state it is arround 5gig. That is from many different forms so take it with a grain of salt.

As for 90kbps at 1x he is talking about his connection not the signal strength. 1x data transfer is the older CDMA data connection, EV or EVDO is the newer higher speed connection.

EVDO is not available everywhere so if your Q can not get a EV signal it will fall back to 1x. To see which connection you have look at the top of your screen toward the center you will either see 1x or EV letting you know which type of connection you currently have.
  17. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

PDA net works great, I used it alot before I purchased my mac laptop. I switched to Mobile Stream's USB modem. Same thing allows you to tether your Q via USB or Bluetooth, it just works on the PC and the Mac. So now I can tether my Q when I am running XP on my mac or the mac os.

Mobile Stream is a little different in the setup though on the PC you install the USB modem drivers and create a dial up connection. Then tell that connection to use the USB modem. So it will not automatically see your Q and connect like PDA Net and you have to start the software on the Q before you connect it, otherwise your laptop will not see it as a modem.

PDA Net is slicker than the USB Modem but it will only allow you to bluetooth sync with the mac.

If you can use a USB cable do so. USB will be faster than Bluetooth.
  18. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

I am using USB and since Verizon gave me my Q for $19 bucks, I think I'll give them some $15 tethering business...lol

Thanks again about the EVDO/CDMA info, very helpful.
  19. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

Anytime, glad it helps
  20. jim-g

jim-g New Member

If you have EVDO you are 'broadband' and if your phone shows you are not in EVDO but 1x then you are 'out of broadand coverage' and still have a modem but more a fast telephone. Knowing the difference between 1x and EVDO is an elementary coverage factor all users show know. It is not a function of power per se. It is the type of transmitted signal. You need to know that whichever program you use to prevent having unusual expectations from your phone in 1x territory.
    Good luck.