PushEffect Near RealTime PushEmail 4 Gmail/POP/IMAP & adds New Features to Messaging

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by wannaQ, Feb 26, 2007.

1. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

PushEffect Near RealTime PushEmail 4 Gmail/POP/IMAP & adds New Features to Messaging

Discovered a great new app called PushEffect. I downloaded a 7 day trial, installed it on my Verizon Q, now I've got push mail from Gmail! and it really works well.

This thing is an add-on for Messaging. It sits running in the background and "monitors" all your email accounts in Messaging. You have to set up a "hidden" SMS which gets forwarded to your phone from the mail server.

When PushEffect "sees" this hidden SMS from the server, it has Messaging download the message. It does this in the background, and it's quick! It was faster than my hosted Exchange account!

My guess is that it will work with any mail server which can forward a new message as an SMS to your phone. I tried it with Verizon and a friend of mine is using it with his Sprint Q and a Gmail account and it worked great!

It adds a whole slew of other features (the auto send and pop up notifications were awesome!), I copied this from the company's web site www.qorefunctions.com (I guess it's pronounced "corefunctions"?):

Adds New Features to the Messaging Application
    Push-Style Automatic Message Retrieval
    Keep Your EXISTING Email Account
    Works with Gmail, Yahoo Mail Plus, most ISP, POP3, IMAP Accounts*
    Monitors Multiple Accounts Simultaneously (Personal, Work, etc.)
    Exchange Server/imap IDLE Server NOT required
    No Need to Keep PC Turned On to use as Redirector
    Automatically Sends Messages (No More Send/Receive)
    1 Click Download of Attachments/Rest of Message (No More Send/Receive)
    Notification Window for New Messages (All Accounts including Outlook)
    User Selectable Sound for New Messages (All Accounts Including Outlook)
    Optional Vibration for New Messages (All Accounts Including Outlook)
    User Selectable Sleep Period (So You Won't Be Disturbed!)
    Small Application Runs Directly on Device
    NO Monthly Server Fees

If you have good text messaging plan (I have the free 2000 plan) this thing is really convenient. Besides the auto receive (push), the other features that it adds to Messaging are well worth the price.

Check it out, been using it all day with an ISP and Gmail account and I get my messages almost instantly! :smile:
  2. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Great find. How is it on your battery life?
  3. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

Mine actually improved because I was able to turn off checking mail every 15 minutes. Now it only downloads mail when there is a new message on the server. The more I use it, the more I love it! Having the new mail notification pop up is great (I really missed that coming from a WM PPC), very convenient!
  4. inf3st

inf3st New Member

How much is this product after the 7 day trial?

Looked for myself. Nevermind. It's 30 bucks.
  5. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Is it me or is the setup for this confusing as hell?
  6. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

Not confusing at all. I found a consistent pattern in the text message signal (gmail included my user name in the sender area), entered it on the account setup screen and it worked first time. You could always just leave the default @ symbol as the "signal pattern" and it should work also.

I found it quite easy to setup and it works very well. I get my personal gmail within seconds after a new message hits the server.

Does this help?
  7. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Got it working. I think. Really Cool Program.

Works great I love it.
  8. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

Yeah it really is cool, isn't it? I just purchased a reg code, I'm definitely keeping this puppy!
  9. boricuafemme

boricuafemme New Member

Does this work for AOL mail?
  10. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

not sure, I tested with Gmail (POP3), my ISP's account (POP3), and a fastmail account (IMAP) and it all worked. Your mail server has to have the ability forward a copy of new mail to another address (the text message server for your cell company). You need to see if the AOL server has this feature.

A lot of folks at Qusers downloaded PushEffect and are successfully using it, some of them might have AOL, you should check over there.
  11. Evanmichael

Evanmichael New Member

I currently run two email addresses through Verizon Wireless Sync, will these addresses need to run independant of Wireless Sync for this program to work?
  12. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

Don't know. If they show up in the accounts settings screen, they should work as long as the server sends an SMS signal for each account.
  13. inf3st

inf3st New Member

If your email addy's are capable of forwarding then your should be able to do this. If you do decide to try it. Then you will have no need for wireless sync. Unless you use it for contacts and calendar.
  14. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

inf3st,

How are you finding PushEffect? I have to tell you, this thing is really fantastic! I'm getting my Gmail faster than my Exchange mail. And I just love the pop up notification windows!
  15. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I don't care for the pop up window. all i need is the alert sound. I do get my mail super fast though. the downside for me is i don't do a lot of emailing. so for me 30 spend 30 bucks on a program, this cool or not, would be a waste of money. but for anyone that does a lot of email. i would consider this a must have(if not for you!, do it for your battery).
  16. Evanmichael

Evanmichael New Member

Well......can you tell me when receiving emails to your phone and PC, will they vanish from the phone once downloaded to your PC?
  17. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Not sure. I immediately deleted mine.
  18. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

No they will remain on the Q, unless you delete them manually.
  19. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

>>battery
    Battery savings are also contingent on the amount of email received, especially when dealing with POP3. You probably shouldn't use something like POP3, rather forward to an IMAP as that syncs a lot faster and uses a lot less data. Problem is I couldn't find how to server-trigger SMS for an AIM account (forwarding is disabled!). If anyone can help with that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, gmail doesn't forward *some* emails, for whatever reason. It's not that it doesn't forward correctly, but rather it doesn't make it through the SMS gateway to your device. This may be a Sprint specific thing. I know because I've been using this method of SMS triggering for years on Palm OS.. I was waiting for this on windows mobile. well I was, I no longer have unlimted sms.

I wonder if the PushEffect people can release a separate cheaper app that only does the 'Send Immediately' for non-exchange accounts.
  20. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

My battery life has improved 100% since switching from checking for mail every 15 minutes to PushEffect.

I have a free IMAP account with fastmail and it offers forwarding. I tested it with PushEffect and it worked flawlessly. AIM may not offer this feature. Try fastmail if you need IMAP, it's free, fast, and no ads!

Strange, I also have a WM Treo 700wx Treo with Sprint for work, which I also have PushEffect installed on, and I received every email on my Treo that also arrived at my Gmail account. These messages were sent from various servers so maybe it's a problem that is specific to your Sprint account? Maybe you should call CS and they could re-provision?