Push Gmail

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by dafoxs, Jul 15, 2008.

1. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

didn't want I fight to break out. For some reason it is pushin for me and I never had push set up for gmail. Not complaining here.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

no fight... just talkin' :}
  3. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

play nice. just did it on my friends phone, same thing..Push it baby. maybe a sprint thing.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

perhaps.... like i said i tried last night, but no cigar... (+ i need/want to run PE anyway for various other accounts)
  5. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

What is strange, when I send an email to my messaging.sprintpc.com address it comes up in the gmail account. thought they have nothing to do with each other.
  6. bacchus23

bacchus23 New Member

my bad meant to explain to you young folks how to pull from your accounts. many users dont actually need push email. if u have a smartphone and personal email accounts having them pulled every 10 minutes should be good enough, especially since you will get the entire email with attachments. PE is fine for some people. for me it was silly to have messages sent when pulling the email is free and still notifies me. sorry for the confusion folks!!!
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

dunno, but hey if it works for you... great.

thanks for calling me young... the "issue" with polling for mail is that it uses more battery for useless polls (read if there is no mail it polls anyway)..
  8. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

"Young"..wish I was young, knowing what I know now.
  9. bmnot

bmnot New Member

Just tried it, didn't work, all it did was send an SMS to my phone.

Could you give all the steps you did in order, both on the computer and on your phone?

Thanks, if we could get push gmail somehow that would be great.
  10. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

I was thinking the same thing... It should show up as an SMS, not in the GMAIL POutlook...
  11. didn't work for me either on verizon.
    I think this discussion is a healthy one and nobody is fight'n yet :tounge:
  12. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

not sure what I did but it goes to my gmail account. It isn't a text. Im looking into my sprint account, might have had it forwarded to gmail also. In any case, gmail is still pushing and my battery isn't draining. my regular text messages come through normal though.
  13. bmnot

bmnot New Member

Well, keep us updated. :)

Google must be working on push, MS, Yahoo, and Mobile Me have it in some form, it would be crazy for Google to NOT be trying to implement it.
  14. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Forgot to mention, I have several Google alerts set up to send to my gmail, not as a text,"as they happen." Might have something to do with it, but not every email is an alert.
  15. backdown00

backdown00 New Member

I thought that having push email is more of a drain because it has to keep a constant connection so it knowns when to push?
  16. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Nope, not the case. server sends a message that triggers your phone to get the mail.
  17. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

so somehow gmail forwards to an email address (somehow discovers its sendingg to a windows mobile phone), figures out how to delete the text message, AND triggers the email to send/receive? all within 4 seconds?

now this- id like to see. not doubting, actually I'm actually impressed if we could get this to work.

-pf9c
  18. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I set up the gmail on my phone like normal, have it set to manual.

I set gmail up on the web. in settings/forwarding I put in my xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com addy and selected "Keep a gmail copy in inbox" in the drop down next to that. That's all I did. it makes sence, if the text message triggers my phone to pull the mail from gmail, it would pull the real email also. Strange thing is,I never get the text massage. Again, it might be a sprint thing.
  19. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

mine shows up in the google account. Did you set up a google alert? set it to "as it happen." Im running out of explantions here.
  20. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

what exactly is a google alert?