Push Gmail for iPhone and Windows Mobile!!!! It's here!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by kareljack, Sep 22, 2009.

1. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Slightly off topic here, but has anyone solved the problem where syncing the calendar creates duplicates on the phone and in Google Calendar??

Also, does the calendar sync automatically or is it a manual sync?
  2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

I have never used Google Calendar but I had to check when I saw your post. My calendar is online so that must mean it syncs automatically.
  3. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

So if you add an appointment in Google Calendar it automatically gets pushed to your phone?
    Did you encounter the duplicate issue when you synced your calendar?
  4. bberryhill0

I'll check. My phone calendar is magically online. Now I have add an appoinment online. Back in a bit.

Edit: Damn that's fast. I added an appointment online and it was on my phone right away. No duplicates.

Edit2: It is easier to use Google Calendar on the internet on the phone to add appointments than using the phone calendar. Scary.
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Okay.. I took the plunge and tried the calendar sync again. Thankfully no duplicates and the sync process is pretty quick.
    Minor issues.. I am using Papyrus 2.0 as my calendar and Google Sync removes the color choice, icons and categories. Also, if I change the time of the appointment on the phone, it does not change on Google Calendar.
  6. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Okay... the icons and set colors only disappear on my phone if I make any changes to the event on Google's side.
    Nothing too major though. Glad you helped me set my mind at ease. The calendar sync is very handy. Hopefully they work out the kinks and add the ability to create, maintain and sync categories.
    Guess I have no more use for OggSync.

EDIT - The icons and colors remained for past appointments. If I create an appointment on the phone, the color and the icon remain after the sync and only disappear if I make changes on the Google side as mentioned before.

Awesome.. push mail,calendar sync..all we need now is task sync.
  7. ewok69103

ewok69103 New Member

Has anyone figured out how to fix this? I have the exact same problem with getting blank emails but my IMAP works fine.
  8. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

how do i set this up?
    I have it set to where my gmail comes in thru outlook email on the phone.
    I was able to set dl size and and dl attachments but how do i tell it that i want instant push?
  9. bberryhill0

Open ActiveSync on the phone. Put m.google.com in the server name. Check sync mail.
  10. bberryhill0

The Gmail exchange service is down right now. No push. Not even manual sync. Might have to set IMAP back up.
  11. regression

regression New Member

It is working for me right now, no problems.....
  12. bberryhill0

One message just came through. Three more in the queue.

Edit: The three stranded messages came through at 7:46. 24 minutes down. Not bad for a free service.
  13. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

When the service was first announced, there was at least a five minute delay with the Push emails. By the following day it had improved and mail delivery was almost instantaneous.
    But after a week it got sluggish again. Calendar was not syncing either and even a manual synch was not always effective.
    Over the past couple of days it has improved again. Can't say for sure that my mail is always being pushed instantly, but since I'm not in a situation where the emails are time critical, I can live with any minor delay that pops up.
    That being said, I would be happy if the sync process worked as advertised. It's pretty sweet to have push email without having to use Hotmail/Windows Live..Gmail.
  14. bberryhill0

I got 'server error you will lose sync' errors twice in the last few days. It wasn't a problem.

These guys are bringing up the largest Exchange server ever attempted. Woohoo! It's really cool.
  15. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

will one of you plz post a how to on how to setup google sync for instant push email?
  16. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

17. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

cool i will try that now.
    But to be clear i did try those b4 and was still faced with having to send/recieve to update my inbox. Maybe i just changed the wrong account to manual that time