Push Gmail for iPhone and Windows Mobile!!!! It's here!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by kareljack, Sep 22, 2009.

1. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Push Gmail for iPhone and Windows Mobile!!!! It's here!!!!

"Posted by Marcus Foster, Product Manager, Google Mobile

Those of you who live in your Gmail inboxes usually want to know what's happening with your email more instantly than standard fetch mail on your phone allows. Sure, using Gmail in your mobile browser gives you all the benefits of conversation threading and starring, but you still have to refresh every time you want to check for new mail.

When we launched Google Sync for Contacts and Google Calendar earlier this year, an over-the-air, always-on connection to sync mail was noticeably absent. We heard your requests loud and clear, and starting today you can use Google Sync to get your Gmail messages pushed directly to your iPhone, iPod Touch, or Windows Mobile device.

You can set up push Gmail by itself or choose to sync your Contacts and/or Calendar as well. If you're using an iPhone, make sure you're running iPhone OS version 3.0 or above (on your device, click Settings> General > About and scroll down until you see Version). If your software is out of date, follow Apple's upgrade instructions. Then, visit m.google.com/sync from your computer for set up instructions. If you're already using Google Sync, you can just enable push mail.

Once you're set up, new messages are normally pushed to your phone within seconds. While this type of speed is pretty awesome, push connections tend to use more power than fetching at intervals, so don't be surprised if your battery life isn't quite what it used to be. We've done a lot of work to optimize power usage, but if you prefer to save battery life, you can always turn off push in your phone's settings and fetch mail every 30 or 60 minutes instead.
    "

YES!!!!! FINALLY!!!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

thats great news!!
  3. helltoupee

helltoupee New Member

I had Funambol "push" mail installed and unistalled it . Now I have a thing where the Email was that says Active Sync and I can't delet it . Any suggestions ? Also do you have to set up the gmail account thru the Outlook section of your email . I deleted my exchange server config and reset it up but still getting nada . Any help is much appreciated . Thanks
  4. regression

regression New Member

I suspect everyone and their mother is trying out the push email right now and overloading the servers. I got it to work initially, but then it was in a constant synchronizing state in ActiveSync. IE, the status showed the progress bar slowly moving.

I am going to give in a try and a day or two and see if it works better.
  5. simollie

simollie New Member

battery life

This is what Google said about batter life:

"Depending on your device, any push connection may use more power than fetching content at intervals. In some cases the difference in power usage may have a noticeable impact on your phone's battery life. To save battery life, turn off Push in your phone's settings and fetch content every 30 or 60 minutes."

Anybody has any experience with the real impact?
  6. n99hockey

i disagree...although 30-60 minutes is a long interval but probably not all that great if you use your phone for business

having your phone check for emails when there might not be any emails to get wastes battery
    whereas when your phone only gets emails when its pushed to your phone saves battery

thats just me
  7. simollie

simollie New Member

Yeah that's what I thought. Previously I had gmail (IMAP) set for 15 minutes interval, felt it's wasting power most of the time. So I'm very confused how the "push" gmail works with MS exchange such that it could be more power hungry.
  8. n99hockey

i am too
    although i guess if you set it up for 60 min intervals it could save battery life
    but the typical interval is much shorter

once i got exchange my battery life improved
  9. simollie

simollie New Member

Haha, yeah I guess 60 min will be power saving. But after the push test show a 60 sec delay, no way I'll settle for 60 min!

I'll see if my battery life improves with push.
  10. n99hockey

yea give it a test drive for a few days
    and you can report back
  11. helltoupee

helltoupee New Member

I believe I know what my problem is . I did the reg hack to remove Outlook from the message picker . I really need a very nice person to zip and post the contents of : HKLM\software\microsoft\inbox\svc\activesync . I need the Activesync folder and its contents. If thats not possible I need the Dwords or $trings or what not to enter it manually . Thank you

The phone I need it from is a Q9C also . Forgot to mention that . Thanks again .
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

you need the actual folder contents of ActiveSync also? the one under Windows? if so here's that! working on the rest...

Attached Files:

13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

here's the activesync registry folder export...q9c of course...same as above zip.

side note: sure has been a long time since I played with my 9c! i was fumbling like no other!

Attached Files:

14. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

My first test email took 13 minutes. The second took 5. There doesn't seem to be an option for how many days of email to sync. It looks like I got three days. I guess I have to use both IMAP and Exchange to get push and the last 30 days.

Now I have to go back and change my homescreen to show the ActiveSync emails again.

Edit: The third test showed up fast. Interesting side effect. The IMAP account now picks up emails I send myself on the send/receive cycle they are sent in instead of waiting for the next pull.
  15. Bucket

Bucket New Member

I don't understand. If I set the Active Sync to 30 minutes then will my phone get emails as they arrive or will it only get emails every 30 minutes?
  16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

uhmm...it will check for mail every 30 minutes! whether there is any or not it will do a send/receive every 30.
  17. bberryhill0

hockey was talking about the IMAP pull interval of 30-60 minutes (depending on your settings). If you set Active Sync to check every so many minutes instead of getting messages immediately it will check every so many minutes.
  18. Bucket

Bucket New Member

My IMAP already does that. Right now I have the IMAP and Active Sync running on my phone and I'm trying to decide which one to keep. So if I'm not getting messages immediately the only difference may be better battery life with Active Sync...is that correct?
  19. bberryhill0

Getting messages immediately may save battery life because you won't be polling. Test it and let us know.
  20. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

bberryhill0: Go to Menu, Tools, Options, Account Settings. Select Next until you get to the section that asks what data you want to sync. Highlight email, Then Menu, Settings and select the number of days.