push email

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by recife, Aug 24, 2007.

1. recife

recife New Member

push email

mobipush.com has a push email system up, kinda cool, they run the server for you. It was just released at the end of july, it's still beta. So far I like it, it pushes my gmail within 2 mins. Takes a little bit of setup, but hey, it's free.
  2. windtrader

windtrader New Member

Looks interesting. Does it use the same software Microsoft Exchange Server uses to synch email with the Q? Many of these email-Q services use some form of text message and I don't want to pay for that.

If it does work the same as Exchange, does it also update/synch the contacts, notes, etc.?
  3. recife

recife New Member

windtrader, mobipush is it's own server, no exchange involved, that's part of the setup is editing activesync to use mobipush's server instead of exchange. However it cannot push anything but email. Lastly, since you're using mobilpush server, there are no hidden txt msgs sent or recieved.
  4. windtrader

windtrader New Member

Thanks for the clarification. This is pretty cool as it is the only and first non-MS Exchange utility that uses the same interface (Activesync) as MS Exchange Server.

Too bad it does not sync the other items: contacts, notes, calendar items. I'm paying for hosted Exchange Server and would love to drop it if something was available for less cost.
  5. troutseth

troutseth Guest

The other issue is that it replaces the Exchange server connection. So it is either/or; which is great if you want push and do not have exchange. For those of us with Exchange for work, I am still stuck with polling for my personal email. :frown:
  6. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Is this the same as consilient? I tried that mobipush and they subscribed me to mobijoke text messaging service and charging me $9.99/mo. Pr!@#$
  7. recife

recife New Member

No this isn't the same as consilient, I think consilient just pulls mail from the server every min.

Mobipush subscribed you to a txt service? Wow, sorry I can't help, didn't happen for me.
  8. millerman

millerman New Member

You might want to try www.mail2web.com. It's a free exchange hosting service and it will sync up your calender and contacts. I froward my Gmail account to it, and it pushes it to my phone. I just signed up for it today, but so far it works great.
  9. windtrader

windtrader New Member

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the tip, great service. I signed up 6 months ago for a business exchange service. :laugh2:

It's been very very nice to have my MotoQ, laptop, and office desktop all act as a single instance in that any change coming or going from any of these clients get immediately replicated to the other.

The service has been very solid and still quite a value even after their price increase due to the worthless dollar.
  10. miko1970

miko1970 New Member

Emoze Push Email

Another one to check out is http://www.emoze.com
    It supports MS Outlook (including OWA), Lotus Notes and Gmail. It's free and easy to install and set up. You have to have a data plan on your phone. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now for my Lotus mail at work and am very happy with it. Only downside is if your not using OWA you have to leave your computer running and your email client open. It will sync email, contacts, calendar and tasks in both Outlook and Lotus Notes (haven't been able to get my Lotus Notes Tasks (To Do) to sync yet but have contacted their support about it). Usually my mail hits my Q before it hits my desktop.
  11. windtrader

windtrader New Member

@miko -

It's great to hear about other services os as many options are available for each person's situation. I took a look at emoze; it appears to work with an existing Exchange or Lotus Notes server based account. If you do not have an Exchange Server account, then this does not help much unless you want to push consumer email such as Gmail.

If you already have a Exchange account, then it still requires to PC to be running as you mention. I guess this works for folks who do not have the ability to use the Exchange functions already built in to synch email and contacts and such.

Mobile clients might not be able to use the Exchange "Direct Push" technology. In my case, using a MotoQ, that is a Windows Mobile 5 OS, the activesych function supports "Direct Push" and after configuring this to connect to the Exchange Server, all the synching and pushing is done automatically.

If your mobile client is not Windows based or does not support "Direct Push" , then emoze comes to the rescue.

You do mention having a Q. Is the reason you use emoze is Lotus Notes does not support MS "Direct Push" or Activesynch? I can see the obvious rationale why IBM would not do that but if there were enough corp customers who have Windows clients than I guess they would have to support it. I guess most corp use Blackberry and there must be a Lotus Notes to Blackberry push/synch capability.
  12. miko1970

miko1970 New Member

emoze

As far as I can find out, Lotus Notes and MS don't play well together (this is qualified by the fact that I'm by far not an expert by any means). Previously, I had to use Laplink's PDAsync to get my PDA to sync with Lotus Notes as ActiveSync by itself wasn't compatible.
    I work for a police department and had a city issued Blackberry on an exchange server the whole city shared on a single network. We, in the police department used Lotus Notes for our Records Management System and internal email. Due to some mandated security requirements we had to separate our network from the rest of the city. In doing so we starting running our own email server on our Domino Server. Blackberry is compatible with Lotus Notes but you need a separate Domino Server set up for the BES. I was the only one in the department that had one and it wasn't cost effective to go through the hassle of setting all this up for one user. As a result, I went back to a regular cell phone. Our cellular provider started offering the Q with an unlimited data plan that was cheaper than the one with the Blackberry and I started looking for a Lotus Notes solution to would provide real push email, contacts and calendar with the Q.

The only two solutions I could find were: 1) emoze which is free and 2) Commontime's mNotes which isn't free. mNotes is specifically for Lotus Notes and judging by emoze's website they clearly focus on Outlook.

Emoze uses a PC Connector on you desktop and their website shows they support POP3 accounts. When I set mine up it never asked about any server settings and as far as I can tell simply monitors my desktop client for changes. Given all this I don't know that you would have to have a Exchange server for it to work, but again I'm no expert and didn't dig any further after I found out it would work for my situation.

Their website also shows that compatibility for Outlook Express and Mozilla is coming soon.

Sorry for the long-winded post but thought it might cover some future questions.
  13. JBK617

JBK617 New Member

What version on Windows Mobile are you running, I tried to set this up on my Q9M and am unable to enter the domain name when setting the server connection.

Would Verizon lock that in active sync?

TIA
    Rick
  14. blkitr

blkitr New Member

^^^^ having same problem with q 9h
  15. windtrader

windtrader New Member

The situation you got into when the work server went to Notes and did not set up Domino BES left you without an enterprise approach. Emoze works for you since it basically acts like a virtual tether and allows you to do Notes functions as if you were at your desk. As far as the Notes server is concerned it really doesn't know about emoze and that is why it didn't ask for any technical configuration settings. I'm sure all it asks you for is your login details and after that point emoze is just the intermediary between the mobile and the desktop. It's similar to working remotely by using software to login to your work computer as if you were physically at your work PC.
  16. JBK617

JBK617 New Member

For those of you how have Mobipush on your Win Mobile 6 devices here is the reply I got back form their support for the problem I was having:

In Windows Mobile 6 when prompted to enter your username please enter "mobipush\" followed by your eMail address. The domain field should be left empty.

Example:
    [FONT=&quot]If your eMail address is "alex@gmail.com", you should input "mobipush\alex@gmail.com" in the username field. [/FONT]
  17. rh10023

rh10023 New Member

Emoze - Good Potential but screwed up my calendar

I tried the emoze system using just the OWA feature and not the PC Connector software. Thought it would be great to receive my email from work on my mobile system. Unchecked everything except Inbox sync through the emoze mobile client. But saw that some of my re-occuring meetings got all messed up. Some duplicates were created. Some meetings changed into 8 hour meetings. Just really screwed things up. Ended up deleting the software off of my Moto Q.
  18. budman

budman New Member

I had something similar happen where I just wanted to sync email but got it all. Emoze says the next version won't do that. I uninstalled Emoze also but I hope they improve.

Buddy
  19. miko1970

miko1970 New Member

Out w/ emoze, in with mNotes

I just uninstalled emoze as well. Everything was going fine but my power supply went out on my desktop and once I replaced it, emoze went haywire and quit working. I had a support request in with them on another issue for over a week, as well as a request to get approval for their forums with no answer at all.

I installed the beta version of mNotes5 and it is far superior than emoze, IMHO, for Lotus Notes. Downside of mNotes is that eventually there will be a monthly cost once it's out of beta testing.
  20. windtrader

windtrader New Member

That may actually be a good thing. :wink: As you see usually what you get is related to how much you pay; so hopefully, they have some solid functionality that allows them to get paid.