Purpose of Windows Live login?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Adam Stracener, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Adam Stracener

Adam Stracener New Member

Testing out Windows Phone for a company I work for we are thinking about switching from the BES to Active Sync. I noticed when i setup the phone a option for a Windows Live account was there so i linked my account.. though i do not use it for anything since I use GMail. I noticed after i set it up i can not change it or delete it, any reason why? reason why i need it? perks?
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

All your app/music/games purchases from Marketplace and Skydrive syncs are tied to your Live account.
  3. Sb.

Sb. Member

Thats how its with Apple as well, you cant purchase from app store, hell you even need a credit card to open an account in Australia which was crap as I never wanted/needed a credit card so I had to do the fake U.S account just to get access to free apps. I ended up getting a $20 itunes card for free and couldnt use it cos it was only valid for the Australian itunes store, bank gave me a debit mastercard and finally made an Aust. account and used up the $20 credit cos it was about to expire. At least with windows you can get access to free apps.

O.K i'll give you another reason to keep you live ID, so you can use FindMyPhone,SkyDrive and I think your contacts are all backed up in your LiveID, oh and your calender stuff too. Just use that account for your phone security I suppose and have the gmail for your main email account.
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I discovered all this mail I never knew I had in an old Hotmail account.:D
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

HA!!
  6. Sb.

Sb. Member

LOL, Hows this I had an old hotmail account and decided to see whats going on in there and someone with a similar name used for his facebook account, had over 300 facebook emails in it. Gave me the shits so I got into his facebook and closed it.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Damn.
  8. Sb.

Sb. Member

Dont worry too much ,he was inactive in it probably cos he used the wrong email and must have made a new one.

Sheez just checked my emails and its till active. The requests have stopped though. Facebook is unstoppable!! I'll have to try deleting it again.

The security was a bit crap I must admit and eventually gave me a new password even though I had failed the security questions.
  9. Vladimir Rikowski

Vladimir Rikowski New Member

Hi to all! IM from Argentina ( yeap almost in the a~€··s of the world :D ) I saw this topic and I have a doubt . since win mobile phones r starting to arrive to my country ,.. the question is .. lts say I have the phone and I want to download a x box game, or a song from i zune . .. after doing that I need to be connected all the time to internet in order to play teh game or listen music using izune ? or I can connect , download the game, then disconnect from internet and play game , listen music and etc .. or there are some things ,apps that will work and other dont ..? sorry for the dumb question but I don t have other place to ask it -_-!
    best regards to all!
    Vladimir
    pd: I want to buy the samsung focus :D nice oled lcd :)
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Turn based games like scrabble or chess where you play against others online requires an internet connection. Some games allow you to submit scores online to campare with others, which also requires a connection. But downloading a game like Angry Birds, allows you play the phone offline.

Downloading and streaming Zune music requires an internet connection. You can download a song to your phone and play it offline. If you have a Zune Pass, you can stream music from the entire Zune library without downloading to your phone. Streaming music requires an internet connection.
  11. Vladimir Rikowski

aaahh thank you ninjaap!!!! :) thank you a lot .. really! so basically it depends on the game .. ok perfect then :)

best regards! Vladimir
  12. Sb.

Sb. Member

Just to add, some games and apps will require you to have wifi to download as well, depending on the size. Another thing is that you might not get access to Zune music as it is not available everywhere for example I'm in Australia and we never got it but they say that they're working on it.
    ninjaap likes this.
  13. Vladimir Rikowski

aah I understand ,. thank you! .. hmmm yeap .. thats why I was asking if I can listen music whiteout izune connected .. as same for the xbox . in a month or something ¨¨Personal¨¨ ( its an company here like Verizon or AT&T) would be selling LG Quantums and there ar some HTC ,.. so I think they would have some agreement whit xbox and izune .. thanks for the info :)
  14. Sb.

Sb. Member

You can still upload your own music with Zune on your PC but access to music in marketplace might be blocked because of music copyrights in your country.

Australia had a limited number of phones running WP7 and my carrier at the time didn't stock them so I checked online for some phones and found cheap Samsung Focus's in the U.S on eBay selling for just over $300 brand new in box and got one. After shipping and unlocking fee the total cost was $430 for a phone outright. This is by far the best phone I have ever owned and the cheapest. I ended up getting another carrier with cheap plans which has lowered my monthly cost plus heaps more included in my plan. Not sure about your situation but you might save from buying online instead of from your carrier or wait a little more for the mango phones to come out and see whats best.
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Why do you keep calling it izune?