programs being terminated (unwanted)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by allgoodthings, Nov 9, 2008.

1. allgoodthings

allgoodthings New Member

Kinoma Freeplay seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the responses!
  2. cindra

cindra Active Member

Glad you solved it! :smile:
  3. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

My browser often terminates when I lock the keyboard. No other programs running. 40% storage and RAM free. I saw a mention of a solution somewhere with no link. Is it possible to tell WM that I want it to leave Opera 8.65 running most of the time?
  4. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Not sure that you want to do that. Sucks up a ton of memory . . . will slow your phone big-time and crash it if and when you reach the RAM threshold. Just my $0.02 :) -Q
  5. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

SKTools has a "Do not close" feature. It helps, but not 100%. It's probably best to just let it close or you will be rebooting when the phone slows down.
  6. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Echo . . . ???????????? :) -q
  7. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Didn't notice if you mentioned SKTools.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Does "excluding" an app using STK "exclude" it from the list of open programs or "exclude" it from being terminated by windows?
  9. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I think that just hides it from the view of running apps.
  10. bberryhill0

The phone crashes fairly often anyway so it shouldn't hurt. Where is the do not close feature in SKTools?
  11. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Open SKTools menu/settings it's in the first tab about half way down. If you phone crashes that much, keeping programs running isn't going to help. It may make it worse.
  12. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I've always used CeleTask for this exact same feature and "exclude" means that the prog will NOT shut down, meaning that it is protected. Although I do also use SKTools, I've not used this feature. If you often "kill" progs, be carefull which ones you do or you'll just need to reset again to have your Q run properly. When in doubt, don't untill you find out if it's safe to do so. :) -Q
    (Sent from my Q9n)
  13. bberryhill0

Guessing you are not using SKTools Lite. I ran both auto cleanup tools that I didn't notice came with Lite yesterday and they released 15MB of device storage! My phone immediately sped way up.
  14. bberryhill0

15. MadMangs

MadMangs New Member

There's another chip type called a PROM (programmable read only memory). These chips are called read-only (misnomer in my opinion) because they do not lose the data stored there when they lose power. The programmable part is what allows you to write to something that's supposed to be read-only.

LOL... it's confusing, I know.

Just keep this in mind...

RAM... when you shut power off, you lose everything stored there. you may read and write to it.

ROM... when you shut power off, you DO NOT lose anything. All data remains, permanently (unless the chip is damaged). You can't write to it but you can read from it.

PROM (or EPROM which is just an Extended PROM)... means programmable read only memory. You can read and write to/from it just like ram but it will not lose the data stored there when power turns off.

ROMS are used to store things permanently.

PROMS/EPROMS are often used like a hard drive (to store things permanently but be able to change them).

RAM is used to store things temporarily (and is also much much faster than PROMS/EPROMS)

When I say "store things" I mean data, applications, music, etc.

so... if you look at your memory manager, the amount of free space you have on your phone (labeled Device) is actually how much room is left on the EPROM chip.

Another good example of an EPROM is a USB drive. Yet another example is an IPOD (but only the smaller capacity ones). The real big IPODS, the ones that say 120gb, etc are actually using mini-hard drives instead of PROMS.

Now they're even building laptops that have something called a "solid state hard drive". That is a hard drive that has no moving parts, no platters, no bearings, no heads, nada. What it is is actually one or more PROM chips (just like the usb drives).

If you look around, you'll see they now have USB drives that are up to about 64gb and memory cards (which are also proms) that are up to 32gb i believe.

When you load an application onto your phone, you're storing it onto an eprom. when you go to the start menu and run an application, the operating system takes all or parts of the application and copies it from the eprom to ram, for speed purposes, RAM is much faster than an EPROM.
  16. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

You wrote:
    "PROM (or EPROM which is just an Extended PROM)... means programmable read only memory. You can read and write to/from it just like ram but it will not lose the data stored there when power turns off."

Well, not exactly although you are on the right track. EPROM = Electronically Programable Read Only Memory. You must "flash" to it and all remains as "firm" until changed. You can NOT wite to it as you do to RAM. You CAN however read from it BUT make NO changes unless you re "flash" it with new information. :) -Q
  17. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Is thinking, WTH. I must have missed that class.
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i think i just got my A+ certification!! =)