programs being terminated (unwanted)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by allgoodthings, Nov 9, 2008.

1. allgoodthings

allgoodthings New Member

programs being terminated (unwanted)

This happens frequently: I'm listening to an mp3 in Windows Media Player 10 Mobile, then pause and decide to look something up in Opera Mini. When I go to task manager to go back to playing the mp3, I find that the Media Player process is no longer active. It seems like the program has been killed by the operating system, even though I never told it to. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

that is a function built into to op. system. using SKTools to free up ram tends to help at times. If you use Smart Toolkit, there is aslo an option to exclude aps. that also helps a little. nothing cures 100%, that i know of.
  3. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

That is an annoying one at times.
    There's a hack to change when "unused" programs are closed in one of the hack threads.
    I tried it once and it did keep programs open longer.
  4. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

SKTools, also has an option to
    "Dont Close" i couldnt figure it out.
  5. cindra

cindra Active Member

Doesn't that happen when resources run low? So, couldn't you install as much as possible to the card to save space on the device, then there would be more resources available for running apps? I listen and webbrowse at the same time a lot...but all my programs/music/whatever is installed on my card.
  6. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Yes, the card helps, Ram is hard to explain. Ram is what is used to get programs running. storage and ram are different animals.
  7. allgoodthings

allgoodthings New Member

my mp3s are all loaded onto my storage card. what web browser are you using when you're listening simultaneously? i have Opera Mini installed on my main phone memory. maybe I should install it on the storage card instead?
  8. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Installing a program to the storage card WON'T fix this.
    It's good practice to do so but it DOESN'T effect the RAM and that's why the phone shuts down the applications. RAM is running low.
    If the program is not in focus the phone shuts it down to save RAM.

I've had the same happen while listening to SiriusWM5, I think through WMP, and browsing. Both SiriusWM5 and WMP was shut down.

I've been looking on and off for the hack, let me get back to it.
  9. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I give up can't find it. I remember the suggested change was to "96" but that's it ):
  10. cindra

cindra Active Member

Understood, but programs pre-installed on the phone are in ROM. If it's not in ROM (read-only) or on a card (in essence, extra RAM), isn't it taking up available RAM on the phone itself? What else is there?
  11. cindra

cindra Active Member

I may be incorrect in what I told you...I'm questioning ROM/storage card/RAM.
    As far as what I'm using-I'm using the built-in Opera browser and either WMP or Kinoma Play. Combinations of both have worked for me. I hope you can resolve this! :smile:
  12. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

We're confusing ROM and RAM.
    There different. ROM holds the system files and program files, RAM is used for temporary storage

Check memory manager and you'll see the phone treats them separately.
  13. cindra

cindra Active Member

I'm not finding memory info on the phone and it's been a LONG weekend. :smile: So, "device storage" is separate from the RAM available on this phone?
  14. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Yes, That's right.
  15. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I remember with my old iPAQ I had a bar that I could shift and devote more or less internal memory to RAM or ROM. Pretty nifty if I was playing a video or storing a large file temporarily.
  16. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Ram is being used only when currently running a program. You close that program you should be freeing up ram. Random Access Memory.
  17. allgoodthings

allgoodthings New Member

I checked: when I'm running Windows Media Player it's using nearly 20 mb of RAM. This leaves only about 6 mb free, which probably explains why WMP keeps getting killed when I switch over to Opera Mini.

But 20 mb seems very high. I noticed that for smaller mp3 files the RAM usage can be much less (like 5 mb or even lower). I'm guessing the bitrate of the file affects the RAM usage? Or maybe it's just the file size.

Anyway, maybe the problem I'm having is just that Win Media Player is not very efficient. Are there any other good (simple) media players for the q9c? Someone mentioned Kinoma Play. Is that a good one? Thanks all!
  18. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Ponder this...I have a bunch of apps start on startup. Inbox tunes, SPPopups, Push Effects, Photo contacts, to name a few. Why do they never close? Figure that out and we will be rich.
  19. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I think because they're loaded as "services".

Try TCPMP just make sure its the Wm6 version.
  20. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I concur! They are most likely loaded not as programs but processes, such as how MyMobiler, STK, and AE Button Plus run. This is also where system programs run, such as the shell, the home screen, and other essential software.

I use Kinoma FreePlay because it runs smoothly and uses Winamp Remote quite well.