Problem with 3GP video taken by Q9h

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by zenkinz, Mar 20, 2008.

1. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

Problem with 3GP video taken by Q9h

I have taken a few video using my Q9h.

it plays ok using Q9h's media player.

but when I transfer it to my desktop, the playback shows no video image but I can hear the audio. When I upload the 3GP video into youtube, it can be display. So I assume there's some codec problem to my dsektop, or codec compatibility issue. I don't have any problem opening other 3GP videos (not taken by my Q9h)
  2. kilcher

kilcher New Member

Just made a quick video to test out. Plays on my computer just fine. The file opened up with Quicktime by default.
  3. anyone1979

anyone1979 New Member

True....the video is quicktime format, so it will need quicktime or realplayer.
    Unless you have codecs installed for your default player.
  4. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Quicktime player is free, so no need for any further codecs. Just associate to have that file format to automatically be opened with Quicktime.

I have several players and none are default for all types. I set it up to open different file formats using different players.
  5. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

problem is I used both quicktime and real player to play, but i dont' see any video images. Neither did I receive any error in reading the format, everything is ok except that the video images are not opening...
  6. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

You can try using the free VLC player, and if doesn't work, then your video clip is corrupted, maybe during the transfer...
  7. kilcher

kilcher New Member

Try updating to the latest version of QT if you haven't already done so.
  8. leoroubos

leoroubos New Member

Funny, I had a similar problem. After downloading a video file from my Q9h to my desktop PC it played the video without sound in RealPlayer. I tried it several times and could not figure out the problem.

After opening the same video once in QT (with sound) it also played in RealPlayer with sound.

Strange....
  9. facadegeniality

facadegeniality New Member

yeah me too...its specifically 3g2 format....

apparently i heard that the audio in the files we recorded are in the AMR narrow band. and hence we cant play it in the computer...any settings that we can change in q9h?

btw, the klite mega pack did the trick...altho i dunno exactly what was the codec that helped.
  10. BoostedKnight

BoostedKnight New Member

Glad I found this. I'm also having an issue with this, but my main issue is that the phone is recording in this .3gp format and I sweat I've recorded stuff before on this phone and played it. I don't understand why the phone would record in a format it can't play in it's default media player. What player will play .3gp files on the phone, if any?
  11. ProtoJMB

ProtoJMB Member

I really don't like the format they chose myself, but oh well. :(

I have the latest Quicktime player, and it plays fine in that.
  12. BoostedKnight

BoostedKnight New Member

On the computer is one thing, but I'm talking about a player on the phone itself. Unless I missed a quicktime player for mobile devices somewhere?
  13. ProtoJMB

ProtoJMB Member

OH, ok, sorry I misunderstood. Well the video you take with the phone itself should play on windows media player on the phone. It works fine for me.
  14. BoostedKnight

BoostedKnight New Member

That was the issue I had. I took the video on the phone, then tried opening it and get an error message "The file format is invalid" when I try to just play it in MWP. That's what I don't understand is I think I've taken video on this before and played it. I take pictures more than video, but I don't get why taking the video wouldn't play on the device I recorded it on. I know my old WinMo devices only played .wmv files for video, is it still the same with this WMP?
  15. ProtoJMB

ProtoJMB Member

No, this WMP on your Motorola Q should do the same as mine does, which is play the .3gp video that it takes. I don't really know why it isn't playing it. Is your WM 6.1 an official AT&T image (not an unofficial release)?
  16. BoostedKnight

BoostedKnight New Member

Yep. Got it from the Motorola site. I know it's played videos before I just can't remember if I took them on the Q or if I took them on my old 8525 and transferred them over on my micro sd card. Really not sure why they're not playing, and I've taken more videos since trying to test it and the same result.
  17. braj

braj New Member

I'm having the same problem. One question: do you have CorePlayer or Kinoma installed? I have both. I'm not sure if it is one of those app's fault or a 6.1 issue, but I would love to get the files to play. They actually do play in Kinoma but without sound.
  18. BoostedKnight

BoostedKnight New Member

I don't have either of those installed. WMP is my only media player. Everything else I have installed in the facade trial (which should be expiring by tomorrow), and a bunch of home screens along with Windows Live Search, Pocket Express, the screen capture program, flashlight, and I think that's everything.
  19. Dast

Dast New Member

All videos taken with q9h are "invalid format"?

Is anyone having the same problem BoostedKnight reports (trying to play video (3gp) files on the q after taking them, yields a "file format invalid" error)? I'm seeing it on a q9h with 6.1 installed, but only on some 3gp files. It seems like files past a certain size trigger this error for me...

Anyone else seeing this? I've combed through a lot of threads and I haven't come across anyone experiencing this.
  20. BoostedKnight

BoostedKnight New Member

I just tried taking a 2 second video and seeing if that helped at all. It didn't. The message I'm getting is

"Player:\Storage Card\DCIM\057.3gp
    Unknown file format!"

That's the precise message I'm getting n TCPMP, which is supposed to play .3gp files. I even have the mpeg4 file set associated in tcpmp.