Problem! Q frequently turns itself off, help

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by MCPHEE23, Nov 26, 2007.

1. MCPHEE23

MCPHEE23 New Member

Problem! Q frequently turns itself off, help

Hello,

I've had several problems with my Q, mostly hardware, and they were resolved with a handset replacement from provider (Telus-Canada). I am now on my second handset and it frequently shuts down with out notice.

Even with the keygaurd active I will notice it has shut down. Sometimes when I am searching a contact, sometimes when I am not even touching it. This happens mostly once per day but sometimes more often. They say it is likely a Windows issue (I noticed that MS has two versions of Mobile 5 and now the new Q has Mobile 6).

Does anyone have some advice here? Thanks.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard...

i see another exchange in your future... unfortunately. did you update to the latest MOL ? probably if you just received the replacement.
  3. MCPHEE23

MCPHEE23 New Member

I can't wait to see what happens next. After my third handset I get a "Loyalty" credit and I can pick any handset I want. It looks like I will go with a Blackberry as the other brands HTC etc are likely to be worse then the MotoQ. I really like this phone despite it's short falls with Windows but I have limited choices here. Thanks for your help.
  4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane New Member

same thing was happening to me.. i think it has something todo with not having service. i love this phpne thogh
  5. MCPHEE23

MCPHEE23 New Member

I do love mine too, maybe I will suck it up and move to another network and the Moto Q 9h. I am sure the issue I am having is a Microsoft one and should be resolved with Mobile 6.0. Any thoughts there?
  6. q-rocks

q-rocks New Member

Is it doing a graceful shutdown (of the "windows is shutting down" type) or is it just all of a sudden powering off?

If it is the latter, many on here, including myself, have traced this to the battery coming loose and breaking the power connection.

For me, all I have had to do was reseat the battery and all is fine. Some have tightened it up with a wedge of some kind because it happened so often.

My $0.02.
  7. MCPHEE23

MCPHEE23 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I have gone through that issue and I've found that it's not the problem with the extended 1640Mh battery.

Do you think this issue would be resolved by going to the Q 9h?

Cheers.
  8. piranah

piranah New Member

Its a power save problem...there is something in the hacks thread regarding this...My q used to shut down about 3 times a day when i first got it..after the hack, maybe once a day, but i think its a software issue not hardware...check the hacks thread tho and you will probably find your answer...
  9. MCPHEE23

MCPHEE23 New Member

Q powering off issue

Thanks.

I haven't checked the 'hacks thread' yet and to be honest I'm not really that savy with hacking my operating system. I was hoping that the provider (Telus) would be able to fix this issue for me.

As for the power save concept the Q powers off even while I am using it sometimes even when I'm on a call. Does that have an impact on the power save issue? BTW I have emailed support at Motorola and still no response.