Potential Q owner needs advice!!

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by RBillyQ, Jun 1, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel New Member

after i updated to MR3 (verizon), my phone stopped rebooting randomly
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

cool... whatever it takes right.
  3. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

I've been involved with the Q for quite some time now, and while not perfect, it will do quite a bit more than your standard phone. I believe that often, because we see what this device can do, we expect more of it than it is capable of providing.

Look at your PC and then look at the Q. If the Q (or any "Smartphone" for that matter) could do it all, there would no longer be a need, or a market, for PCs, desktop or laptop, and we'd all be doing it on Smartphones. That isn't the case however, at least not yet.

I looked at Blackberry. I don't think their call quality is all that stellar, and first and foremost, to me at least, my Smartphone is a phone. I also didn't especially like the idea of having to add one more server into the mix for email communication. I also looked at the Treo's, both Palm and Windows powered. The Palm OS version had one thing I liked, and that was support to synch with my Debian Linux laptop. I do also have an XP desktop, and my work PC runs XP, so the lack of Linux support wasn't a show stopper. I didn't like either of the Treo's as well as I like the Q. Having support for A2DP (stereo Bluetooth) was important to me, and the Q had that. The Q also just feels more comfortable, especially in the new 'rubberized' finishes. I looked at the possibility of getting an unlocked iPaq, but I wanted to get away from the bulk of my old Axim. Everything kept drawing me back to the Q.

So, if you need access to every site on the Internet, full use of MS Office products, and everything else that comes on a PC, then carry a laptop loaded with a Wireless access card, and use Skype for your calls. If like me, you just want a phone plus the ability to do some things while you're away from a PC, then the Q might be just right for you. All I can tell you is that it works fine for me.

Oh yeah, my provider is US Cellular. While they are a regional carrier, they cover my region pretty well and they've got, IMHO, some of the best customer service out there. Customer service, good or bad, can turn the best phone into a nightmare, or the worst phone into a pleasure to own. USCC and Motorola do it for me.
  4. winotree

winotree New Member

Wow! rasmith3530...that was very well said. Thanks.
  5. donnykc

donnykc New Member

theres a posting on here on how to fix the locking up and shutting down issue
  6. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Although I might be wrong, I thought that was pretty well corrected with the MOL3 updates.

+++++
    Sent from a laptop running Debian GNU/Linux
    www.debian.org
    +++++
  7. Looking for a smart phone, then I'd look elsewhere... Leave the Q out of the running... If you are looking for the best of the three, I'd go with the blackberry. If you are looking at T Mobile, I'd still stick with the blackberry.

If you are looking for another carrier, I'd really look into a Treo if you are looking for the complete smart phone. Where it's a bit bigger than the others, it's far and away a better device... I'd look into the palm opperating system. There are several problems with the Q that nobody can seem to explain if they are a Q problem, Windows, or Motorola...
  8. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Blueonblackstrat, I have to wonder what type of phone you use? I am assuming it is not a Q, based on your statement above, and if not, then I wonder why you are spending your time trolling in a Q forum? If you own a Q and dislike it that much, then why haven't you replaced it and moved on with your life?

The Q has its faults, and like everything else in this world, it is not perfect. If you are looking for a device that handles email like no other, then a Blackberry might be your best choice, although the Q isn't all that bad here. If you are looking for a full bore PDA, then I wouldn't even waste my time with the Treo, I'd go straight for an iPaq, and I'd only look into the Palm operating system if your hobby is Apple IIe's and Commodore 64's. Like OS2, it was a good, albeit almost dead operating system. Seriously, look around at how many devices are still running the Palm OS.

Now, if you are looking for a good phone, with some PDA functionality (not full blown mind you), in a compact package, then the Q might just be right for you. You will have to live with limited battery life. You can only pack so much punch into such a small package, and the Q's designers had compact dimensions at the forefront of their design parameters. They wanted to make as small a phone as they could, while offering a full QWERTY keyboard and WinMobile software. For those needing extended battery life, Seidio has come to the rescue on that one with their 3200mAh battery. Also, the latest software update, MOL3, has helped as well. Many of the freezing issues you hear about either have been dealt with through MOL3, or can be dealt with through vigilant use of the Task Manager. This isn't a laptop, and it isn't even a PDA. It is a cellular phone that has some PDA functionality.

Currently, I have a Q with US Cellular. It came with the MOL3 updates. It has not locked up once, even with some of the hacks I've done to it. Right now, I'm looking at three bars on the battery meter since coming off the charger at 8:00AM this morning (it's now midnight), and other than spending about ten minutes tethered to my PC at work to synchronize, it's been running off that battery all day. I've made some calls, surfed the web, checked my email accounts a number of times, and even played a few games of Bubble Breaker to pass the time.

The Q is not perfect, but it's a pretty good compromise for the present.

+++++
    www.debian.org
    +++++
  9. I do own a Q... Didn't anyone tell you what Assume means....tsk tsk.

I've owned it for a very short time mind you, so I'm still a bit new at trying to figure out some things so I figured I'd "troll" here to see if there aren't some things I could get working on the phone/pda.

Now, he asked should if he should get a Q, whilst in the market for a smartphone. My opinion, and I'm sharing it with the world, is... No you shouldn't.

Like I've said before, even Bin Ladens track phone switches time zones automatically, where as with the Q, you have to shut it off, and turn it back on to get an update on your current time zone, not a big problem with some. I however, drive a truck, and I go through 3 time zones in a 24 hour period, thus I have to shut it off and turn it back on that many times to get it right. I came to this phone, from a Treo, with a Palm operating system, that worked quite well. There are certain things that this phone does better than the treo, and certain things the treo hands down does better.

This is my second phone in a months time, as it stopped charging after only three weeks. This problem occured while in the Los Angeles area. I had to truck around the area trying to get a replacement. The first place wanted to send it out and send me another in 3 to 5 days... Well, I was to be in New York in 3 days, so that was a no can do! Therefore I had to go to 2 differant sprint stores to get this problem fixed. Just so you know it's not easy to find a place to park 83 feet of vehicle in a state that loves that we bring stuff, but hates to have us there. I realize this was more a Sprint issue, than a Q... Don't for one second think I didn't let this slide either. I was very vocal in my disproval of my treatment and the fact I had to receive after 3 weeks a remanufactured phone, where as they should have handed me a brand new one at the first place I got to, with a sincere "Sorry dude".... But alas, that didn't happen.

Why have I yet to replace the phone you ask... Well, like I said, it's only a month old at this point, meaning I would have to shell out another 600 bucks to get the Treo at this point. So when people ask, what I think... I tell them.
    I realize this is a phone, and that's all it really ever will be. And remember the original question posed, should he look into a Q... My opionion is he shouldn't
  10. DrQ

DrQ New Member

The time zone thing is definitely a Q killer for you but as I've been trolling 2 forums for 10 months I haven't heard anybody complain once about that being a reason not to buy a Q.

At least in your second post you explained why the Q is not the choice for you. The OP can make a more informed decision if we offer specific advantages and disadvantages rather than "leave it out of the running and go with a Blackberry"

My Q was $99 vs $249 for a thicker treo which was the original reason I bought it. "For me" now that I'm retired the Blackberry data plans are way too pricey and are more of a business device. I like the BT A2DP (wireless stereo music), Slingplayer and wide range of "personal use" features that I can't get with the Blackberry. I like the form factor of my Q, although the OP might want to look at the new Palm Cento if Sprint is a possibility and he like the Palm OS. I would consider it if I didn't have so much invested in 3rd party windows apps.

As to your problem, I have read that some people have had success with convincing Sprint to replace their Q with a Treo because they either were having to much trouble of it doesn't allow Sprint TV as an advertisement shows.
  11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Q Problems

You shouldn't make a statement like that without explanation. I don't have many problems with my Q (I bought one after having a review unit for a few months), too).

I've certainly read about several other people having major issues, but I've only had minor problems.

Steve
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

The Q IS a PDA

Since I updated to MOL 3, the occasional reboots I had have pretty much disappeared. And I almost never use Task Manager to kill programs -- that's not really necessary.

Actually, it is a PDA. It has all of the Personal Information Management (PIM) functions necessary to be called a PDA. Yes, those applications aren't quite as powerful as those on a Pocket PC (and the Tasks applications is far less functional), but it's still a PDA.

Think of Pocket PC Phones as PDAs first, phones second; Smartphones (like the Q) are phones first, PDAs second.

Steve
  13. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Steve, that thing about the Q being a phone with limted PDA capability came from Motorola, not from myself, and I've got to trust that they at least know what they're building.

As for your predicament strat, I've heard very mixed reviews with Sprint. Being in a business situation, especially one that sees you on the road most of the time, you are in a unique situation, and in your case, you may want to look at that full-blown iPaq that I mentioned. Of course, it would mean a switch of carriers, as the iPaq is GSM, but that might, in the end be a small penalty to pay in order to have most everything that a laptop offers in a package slightly larger than your Treo.

BTW, my first Palm was a III, and my last was a Tungsten (and I had a Kyocera 7135 in there somewhere), and when I went to the Dell, it took me a while to adjust to the change in landscape, but now, there is no way I'd go back. I miss a couple of features in PPC, but none of them are show-stoppers. I do like that I'm no longer pecking at the screen with a stick! When I'm not doing my thing in IT, I play a little bass, and one day was getting together with some folks at a practice loation I'd never been to before. I'm walking down a busy street with my bass guitar case in one hand and my Q in the other. I was able to pull up the address on the fly and made it to the session on time. It was at that moment that I really began to appreciate my Q.

Oh yeah, I play a ZON Sonus 4 and a Leo era G&L L2000 Mahogany.

+++++
    Sent from a Moto Q
    www.motorola.com
    +++++
  14. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

To Be Or Not To Be a PDA

They may know what they're building, but that doesn't mean the marketers describe it correctly. :laugh2: But I would be interested in an exact quotation where they say that (or a link to a page saying that).

But it doesn't really matter who said it -- the Q is still a PDA. It may not be the most functional PDA out there, but it is a PDA. If you don't believe me, see the Free Dictionary PDA definition.

Why recommend an iPAQ specifically? There are many Windows Mobile devices based on the Pocket PC Phone OS that the iPAQs use that should be every bit as functional as an iPAQ phone.

For example, Palm makes Windows Mobile Treos. Also, companies like Samsung, HTC and ASUS make Windows Mobile phones running the Pocket PC Phone OS.

Plus, there are CDMA Pocket PC phones (including the Treo), so you can use them on Verizon and Sprint.

Steve
  15. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Steve, I got that from a supervisor in Technical Support at Motorola. The person I was speaking with made the comment when I brought up the lack of edit capability for MS Office documents, and that is an important distinction.

I chose recommending the iPaq to Blueonblackstrat specifically because in addition to it having the Pocket PC edition of Windows Mobile, it also features WiFi and GPS capabilities, two things that put it head and shoulders above the Treo. The unit I was thinking of specifically when I made my recommendation was the hw6945 (unlocked), although HP has another unit in the works, specifically the 610c Business Navigator that also adds 3G capability (at the expense of the QWERTY keyboard).

A friend of mine drives a truck (intracity) and finds the GPS capability built into his phone to be almost indespensable these days. Although the big guys like Verizon and AT&T have pretty good coverage nationwide, there are fringe areas that they miss, and the ability to connect via WiFi could come in quite handy, and in many cases is as close as your local coffee emporium, Micky D's or public library.

I am not familiar enough with the WinMobile PPC offerings of Samsung, HTC, or ASUS to make recommendations on them. I have gotten to use my friend's iPaq, and it is a capable unit. If you feel comfortable recommending an alternative to Blueonblackstrat, then by all means.

Oh, as an interesting side note, another friend of mine is the Director of IT Services for a medium sized, national business. When it came time to decide on cellular smartphones for the companies sales force and executives, he checked out the market and narrowed it down to two phone choices, the Q and the Treo. He took input from the people who would be carrying the phones into consideration, mindful that the phone had to be available on their official carrier, Sprint. He told me that it is about an even split with his users on which of the two phones they chose.

+++++
  16. Masun

Masun New Member

I don't think that this was answered but, the phone does display myspace, however, it renders it as the default white page you have when you first sign up. It doesn't display or, nor do you hear music if you have the music player running on your page. One of my friends has moving graphics on thier page and the phone lock up when it goes to thier page, even though it doesn't render the graphics. Everything else I go to renders, some with errors. Sites that are built around flash or java (in my case) just have no functionality. Ex: www.bmwusa.com
  17. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Smartphones vs. Pocket PCs

It's no longer much of a distinction in WM 6, which includes the ability to edit Word and Excel files in all versions. (The Q 9m went with Documents To Go, but that also allows editing them.)

However, a PDA does not have to be able to edit Office files to earn the PDA title.

Fair enough; it originally sounded like you were just making the recommendation based on better PDA functionality, though, which almost any Pocket PC Phone will have.

I also don't recall Blue saying that he needed GPS and WiFi. If he did, he probably wouldn't have gotten a Q. :wink:

I've used GPS on my Pocket PC since late 2001/early 2002, and I love it. However, I'm not so sure that I'd want it on my phone, especially if I do a lot of calling on the road. I suspect the phone call would mute the audio and it would be too easy to miss a turn.

If you're an extremely responsible driver and don't make or take calls while driving, it's a moot point, though.

Steve
  18. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

I used GPS on both the V3m (RED) RAZR that I was using prior to my Q (it was a software based solution) and on a specially GPS outfitted AT&T V3xx that I was checking out. It functioned great in each case, although the true GPS of the puck that came with the AT&T phone had a distinct advantage over the purely software based solution on my USCC V3m.

Although Blue did not specifically mention a GPS or WiFi in his list of needs, I took it upon myself to recommend a unit that would be able to exceed the needs he had pointed out, in a direction that would be useful to someone in his occupation. That's the support tech in me coming out.
  19. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

For out and out web browsing, so far I haven't seen anything that can touch the iphone. Even a Q with opera IMO. Even though the iphone is on a slower data network it can download and display pages many times faster and more complex than the Q. Browsing, due to the UI and HVGA is also several times faster. Better battery life for the same size as a Q is nice too. The Q is woefully inadequate as a cell phone in terms of battery life. A good cell phone should last a week and the Q is more of a day proposition. The iphone isn't without other issues though; most of which is expandability of function to date.

You mentioned that your home computer is on dialup. Get a WM phone and pdanet and you could be surfing at DSL speeds on your PC. Today you can edit word and excel on a smartphone via several options though I don't think you can edit the new XML file formats as Pony implies. I could be wrong. Maybe Doc-2-go added that functionality.
  20. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

First, I have heard of battery life issues with the iPhone as well in a couple of respected IT trade journals. You can only pack so much into a small device. The more the phone is capable of, and the more that capability is used, will determine the power consumption. Battery technology has its limits currently, so unless you want to carry a larger device around, which you have the option with the Q, unlike the iPhone, you are going to see limits. At least one carrier that I know of (USCC) gives you a second battery, and an external, portable charging device with their Q. As I mentioned, if you are OK with going larger, you can pack that whopper 3200mAh battery from Seidio. For comparison, the battery is not a user replacable item on the iPhone!

You mentioned other issues with the iPhone. Aside from expandability, which has always been an issue with Apple products, I don't believe that at present, there is a capability to set up an OTA (Over The Air) Exchange mail account synchronization with the iPhone, and that is a biggie!

So far, the iPhone, like the iPod, is a nice toy.

+++++
    www.debian.org
    +++++