Potential Q owner needs advice!!

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by RBillyQ, Jun 1, 2007.

1. RBillyQ

RBillyQ New Member

Potential Q owner needs advice!!

hello all..........i am looking into getting a new smartphone in the next few weeks. I am looking at the Sprint Moto Q, cingular Blackjack, and T MObile Dash. I basically need the phone for light calls but heavy web surfing and email use. Does the web browser in the Q support all websites like a regualr desktop? Will i be able to log on to a shopping account, bank account, or myspace page?? And i notice that most people that have reviewed the Q have problems with it shutting down for no reason, several times a day. That is making me shy away a bit. My desktop is still on dial up internet so anything better than that is fine with me. I currently use verizon but i dont have a fully capable browser, just the regular old mobile web, where google reformats everything and i cant log in to hardly anything. Thanks all
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Web Browsing & Reboots

That all depends on what "support" means. The short answer is "no". The long answer is that it depends on what markup, scripting and plug-ins the Web site uses.

Pocket IE will support much HTML, CSS and JavaScript, but not everything. For example, it doesn't support the IFRAME tag (which is odd, because I believe that's a Microsoft extension) and it doesn't support JavaScript linking I don't believe.

Sites that require plug-ins are much less likely to work. For example, there's no Flash plug-in for Smartphones, so sites using Flash (like YouTube) won't work. There's also no built-in Java support; you can download a JVM from IBM, but I don't know if that only works for stand-alone applications or supports Java on the Web, too.

I don't know about MySpace, but some shopping and bank sites will work, others won't. For example, I can log in to my credit union account on my Pocket PC, but not on my Q (at least since they split the login screen into separate user name and password screens). I can't browse my accounts on the Pocket PC, though, because of the lack of support for JavaScript links.

I've read about those, too. I've had two Qs (one for review and I bought my own after that). Neither had problems like that, although my Q (using the MOL1 software) did occasionally reset. Ever since I updated to MOL3, I haven't had any unexpected reboots that I can remember (although I've read that others have).

Steve
  3. Ash2Ashes

Ash2Ashes New Member

Well after reading the first post I felt I needed to reply to this thread. My roomate just picked up the Dash, being that he is with T-Mobile and I have the Moto Q because I am with Sprint. Ive used both and we have compared them extensively. We are both electrical engineers and we use our phones above and beyond most, so we really wanted to break down which of the two would be better as far as functionality, accessability, compatability, etc, etc. There were things I liked and disliked about both.

First, the T-Mobile Dash really came with more things I liked as far as software. It came free with Fizzweather, which I had to pay for on the Q. It also came free with multiple web browsing utilities that I had to find and download. The Q with sprint had a bunch of useless links and was pretty much bare when I got it. I absolutly loved how much more updated his was than mine. That being said I move on.

When we were both doing the same applications or trying to, the moto Q was much easier to use, specifically with web browsing, camera/video options, and viewing multiple email services. In fact the dash was so un-user friendly, my roomate called customer support about the video on his phone because he believed there had to be an easier way. ( I will give more details, if need be.) On another note, we both went to the same web pages and while both had some issues displaying certain pages, the Moto Q had less problems and could effectively display more in the way that it should be displayed. On a last note, I like the way the Moto Q looks more so than the Dash, and I like the way it feels. After all is said, we both agree that the Moto Q is a better buy, however the differences are'nt huge, so I would really go with what you can get a better deal on. By the way, the Moto Q displays Myspace perfectly, Dash displays it ok as well if you dont want to reply to messages, without it being a total pain.
  4. extremum

extremum New Member

You'll be able to access all your webpages normally - myspace, google, bank accounts, shopping sites, whatever. I do it all, on my Q! The only differences are, there are some plugins missing from IE on the Q, so you won't see/hear all the flash-enabled fancies 'n such that you'd normally get on a desktop PC, but that's nothing major, unless you're an eyecandy Nazi. Email is fully accessible, with the exception of lacking email HTML format- this is a limitation of Windows Mobile 5, but like I said, nothing major, unless...

Nonetheless, Sprint's phone internet service will blow away your desktop's Verizon dialup.
  5. Slow35th

Slow35th New Member

I am unable to access my Wellsfargo account on the Q, Other than that no problems
  6. extremum

extremum New Member

As a suggestion, you may want to try the Opera Mobile browser.

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/
  7. RBillyQ

RBillyQ New Member

Thanks for the really good info. Yeah i don't care about any of that fancy flash as long as i can log in and maybe reply to messages. So how is the issue with the phone shutting down for no reason? How often does it really happen? Can the moto q be better than the bb pearl?
  8. extremum

extremum New Member

This hasn't happened with every phone. It seems as though, Motorola has released a small batch of defective Q's, and many of them are subscribers here. Luckily, mine is A-OK, even after the lastest updates. Coming from many previous Blackberry and Treo users, the Motorola Q is more user-friendly.
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Browser Differences

That's simply not true. MySpace may work, as will some banking and shopping sites, but I listed some specific features that Pocket IE doesn't support, some of which are used in banking (and probably shopping) sites.

The version of IE on the Q is roughly equivalent to IE 5, which hasn't been used on many real PCs for years.

Unfortunately, some sites use Flash for user interface elements like navigation and even the main content. For example, go to Aliph's Jawbone Bluetooth headset site on your PC, then try it on the Q. Almost none of the content works because their stupid Web designers thought they'd be cool and use a Flash-based site.

And that's not the only site that does that, so it doesn't matter if the user wants eye candy or not.

Overstating the Q's capabilities and understating its limitations aren't going to help the original poster.

Steve
  10. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Browsing Differences

I'm curious what that means. What issues did the Dash have that the Q didn't? If anything, I'd have expected the Dash to have fewer issues because it's a newer system. (For example, the original Q didn't support frames in Pocket IE; that support was added in MOL 1.)

Given that both devices use QVGA landscape screens and have similar levels of Windows Mobile 5, I'd expect most pages to render identically on both -- unless you had some options set differently.

Steve
  11. Bethington

Bethington New Member

I have never had my q shut down on me, I love it, if you are looking for a good smart phone the are all good, the Q was the most affordable to me, the Dash is nice with it's wifi and it comes with Mobile office, not just viewers. The black jack comes with an extra battery which is always nice. But I love the Q support and trust motorola.
  12. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Potentian Q owner

While I love my Q and the ability of combining my pda and cell phone. There are some drawbacks. If by shopping you mean ebay then no you will not be able to shop. The only shopping site I have found set up for the mobile web is www.overstock.com. I just went to www.jcpenney.com to see and while you can go there the site is not setup for the mobile user so it is not easy to navigate and I would rather just go there on my pc. And I can't go and check my bank account on my Q either. I am more interesting in the sports website and most of them are setup for the mobile user so I am happy. So it really is going to depend on what you are buying the phone to do. Be prepared to always either carry your charger with you or buy the extended battery because the battery life stinks! That said I have researched the other smartphones and found the Q to be one of the better ones and again it suits my purposes.:smile:
  13. extremum

extremum New Member

Strange, how some of you cannot access your bank accounts, from your Q. I'm able to access my WaMu account with ease. *shrug*
  14. Slow35th

Slow35th New Member

My bank requires approved browsers and the the browser that comes with Windows Mobile is not one of them. I think you are limited to ie 7, Netscape, and a couple of Mac browsers. Firefox will not work either. WellsFargo, btw.
  15. extremum

extremum New Member

I may have posted this earlier, but download the Opera Mobile browser - it may work.
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Web Coding

Why is it strange? Do you think that every bank uses the exact same Web code for their online banking sites? That would be really strange.

Steve
  17. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

User Agents

You can sometimes fool the Web site by changing the User Agent.

Steve
  18. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

I just don't know how good I feel about the terms "fooling" and "bank" in the same sentence.:laugh2:
  19. daniel

daniel New Member

wells fargo's mobile website:
    www.wf.com
  20. winotree

winotree New Member

@ RBillyQ -- in your original post you mentioned that the Q shuts down for no reason at all, several times a day. I am here to say that THAT has never happened to me in five months (to the day!) of very heavy use. It may be a problem for some but the only problems I have had is some squirrely beta software downloads which I got rid of quickly!!

Hope your experiences with your new device (of whatever name) is a good one.