Post Your Pet(s)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dafoxs, Feb 21, 2009.

1. EQBob

EQBob New Member

You can also see if she likes other items. Healthy things to try are pretty much any green vegatable, crackers, bread, fruit, carrots, rice, mashed potatos, pasta, etc. Cheese is ok for them in small amounts too. You can try potato chips and they generally like table salt and will only eat how much they need in their diet.

You can give them some meat, such as steak or ham or chicken or fish, depending on how it's cooked. If it isn't heavily seasoned, the protein will be good for them.

If you want to stick to bird treats, avy cakes are really good for them, as it millet. You can put sunshine yellow supplement in their water--vets love that--but I've never found that mine needed it except when they are sick (and mine are the oldest living cockatiels the vets here have ever seen...and this is the premier vet school in the country)
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Meat? Wow! I would have never thought. I sometimes feed her millet sprays. She goes crazy when I bring a bag home. My mom used to put that sunshine yellow in her water. Maybe I should start doing that again.
  3. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Thier crap will tell the story, is it green,runny, solid.
  4. sherri

sherri Active Member

My sister has an eclectus parrot. Keeps it in her bedroom. Thing imitate sex sounds very well! I tell the bird: "Too much information, Tuki!" He laughs at me, then barks! (Sister has an extreme fear of dogs, so she had "desinsitization therapy". Included tapes of barking dogs.....)
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Its green. Doesn't look runny. Wet at first, but not runny.
  6. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I doubt it. Most cockatiels have the appearance of dry scale feet, toes, legs. If you notice any abnormal amounts of preening or if she is limping or anything like that, then yes it's a concern, but normal appearance is that.

You may know this, but just in case, things for concern are lack of preening, change in singing/chirping, change in eating habits, not perching, laying down (critical sign!), lack of flying (assuming you keep them flighted), excessive preening in one area, eyes that are not open wide, discharge from the nostrils and excessive sneezing.

Toes that very between hot and cold are not an item for concern. The temperature of the toes will vary with the temperature of the bird. IT's not really as much of a differential as your finger will tell you.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Phew!!! No signs of any of that...
  8. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Quite true. Bird "crap" (elegant expression there Fox <G>), is a mixture of pea and poo. In healthy cockatiels, the green should be a bright, almost forest green and the white is a bright white. It should come out as a moist ball. It shouldn't be clumpy, running, or liquid or olive/drab green or brown. It will dry hard in about 10-15 minutes. Birds typically "crap" about every 20-30 minutes.

Now...one or two off poos is not a cause for concern. When a bird gets startled, the instant reaction is almost always a runny poo. It should solidify up the next time or two. Anything more than a few off poos is time to start watching for the other signs of a bird not feeling well.
  9. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Your bird is probably nice and healthy.
  10. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I think so to. they usualy want to be alone when sick. mine did.
  11. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Not trying to scare you...just telling you things to watch out for if you don't know.

The other thing that cockatiels are prone to is night frights...aka nightmares.

This can be a very dangerous thing if you keep your birds fully flighted (we do). When they fly, they F..L..Y...and remember, they are Austrailia's fastest birds. Collisions at night with walls arre not a good thing. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often.

Nightlights help. Our birds have one behind their cages.
  12. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Millet spray is a great tasty treat for them. Ours have a sprig available to them constantly. Sunshine yellow is good, but damned messy. And if you've never seen a bird vomit sunshine yellow, well, let me tell you....it's a sight!
  13. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Them are some smart birds....
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yah I think mine has nightmares at times. I sometimes hear her scream and fall off her perch.
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Depends on the breed. Our male cockatiel comes to me when sick and indicates he wants pet. It is the surest sign in the world that he's sick.

It goes back to when he was only a few months old and he got gavely ill and it was a routine of injecting him with antibiotics 3x a day. After 2 days when he started to perk up, I came out of each session dripping blood. But damed if he didn't get the treatment he needed <G>. Ever since then...when he's sick, he comes straight to me. Any other time, I'm just the guy in the house to bite <G>
  16. sherri

sherri Active Member

Tuki (Hebrew for "parrot") doesn't know he is a bird. He is more lovable and "cuddly" than most cats and dogs. Loves being held, and since he is so good at sounds, gives "kisses". Hops downstairs, asking "hellooooo...",tells my sister "quiet", and imitates the ringing phone, but answers in my brother-in-laws voice........
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That is heeeelllaaa funny!!! I wanna meet Tuki!!!! :angry:
  18. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Yeah...that can happen. It's generally not a verry long lasting or often occurring situation. If it is, there is generally an underlying cause.

This past summer, our female started having night frights every night. It got to the point where I caged her up. They stopped for the first night. The second night, she had one and exploded from the back of her cage to the front in 2.3 miiliseconds. By the time she finished impaling herself on the front of the cage, she was bleeding and had no use of the entire left side of her body.

Vets tracked it to a cracked egg which leaked yolk which entered her spinal column and created an infection, which caused night frights.

That series of bills was not cheap....aout $700 for the initial middle of the night emerrgency vet visit and then several hundred more in follow-ups. I think the antibiotic was all of $5.
  19. EQBob

EQBob New Member

That's awesome. I would have loved to meet Alex, the world's smartest parrot (African Grey). Unfortunately, he died a few years ago at a very young age...was only 30sih....just starting to come into his potential. Very sad.
  20. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Mine did the phone thing. makes a ring noise, Hello. Then it started saying "What" all the time.