Possible Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by n99hockey, Jul 13, 2007.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Possible Memory Leak?

Ok so on a whim I went to go and check the storage space left on the device. It said I had 3megs left, keep in mind the week prior I had 17megs of space remaining. So I went to remove my internet files/history/cookies and i only had 7 megs of space. So then I sync'ed my Q and removed any files on the device that I put there, got off the texts with Jeyo and got it up to 8megs. There is nothing on the device, all programs are installed on my SD card.

So I decided to go folder by folder to see the sizes of each folder. There was no folder over 2 megs with the exception of my \Windows folder which was 87megs (so the properties said). Now I thought the device only had 64megs of storage space!? How is that possible to have a folder say 87megs!? Could the reading be wrong on these things?

Any thoughts on how to go about this? I have not installed anything recently and if I did it was put on the SD card....
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

that is bizar... i'll investigate my Q see what mine comes up with.

wild.. my Windows directory is 73.57 MB. and my memory manager has another idea about the total memory....
  3. n99hockey

yes i am very interested as to what other peoples say....
    i just went to file manager..scrolled over the \windows folder hit the right soft key and then properties
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

that is also what i did... and see my reply.
  5. GEPTRONIXDJS

GEPTRONIXDJS New Member

MINE SAYS 83.7 MEGS
  6. n99hockey

how is this possible!?
    unless i am missunderstanding something...
  7. GEPTRONIXDJS

GEPTRONIXDJS New Member

MY WINDOWS SAYS 83.7 LIKE I SAID BUT MY MEMORY MANAGER SAYS 6.28 MB FREE...GO FIGURE
  8. n99hockey

alright well atleast im not the only one that has this....
    and with that said i am guess this is not the reason why i have no storage left....
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

this kinda confusing and weird to say the least... we must be missing something don't you think ?
  10. GEPTRONIXDJS

GEPTRONIXDJS New Member

i would say so but im not sure of any reasons for it
  11. n99hockey

im going to start uninstalling programs (atleast the last few that i have done) to see if i did put it on the SD card...maybe i made an oopsie

anyother thoughts in the mean time would be welcome :laugh2:
  12. n99hockey

After the Uninstall

so i did a little house cleaning...got my memory up to 13megs free...still not the 17-20 im used to but soooooo much better than the 3megs that i had....ill deal with that for now...
    ill keep looking and see what else i can find...if anything at all its good summer cleaning...LOL

thanks RB and GEPTRONIXDJS for your thoughts :laugh2:
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you're welcome buddy.. i have supposedly 15 MB free, but then again which program will/can we believe :}
  14. n99hockey

yea i know...
    i even check the standard Q memory manager with that WM5.0 task manager i found and they matched up...so there is something there...ill have to check out my emails that i have saved...maybe something crazy large got tranfered over that i didnt know of...
  15. GEPTRONIXDJS

GEPTRONIXDJS New Member

quite welcome i am now in the process of removing some stuff to see if it works for me
  16. braeleure2

braeleure2 New Member

Windows in RAM+ROM; misreported 4GB mini-SD

I suspect File Manager returns total RAM + ROM used to store the Windows directory.

Related side note - File Manager says my mini-SD is 2GB, but Memory Manager correctly says its 4GB.
  17. applejosh

applejosh New Member

Well, I don't know where all your space went to, but I have an explanation for the memory sizes you're seeing. The Q has 64MB of RAM (real RAM, similar to the RAM in your PC) and 128MB Flash (similar purpose to the hard drive in your system) of which a lot is part of the ROM image (i.e. you can't selectively remove certain apps the phone provider and Microsoft feel are neessary). I believe it's in the flash memory where all your apps get stored if installed to the "device" rather than a storage card.

As far as other places to look, have you looked in the Application Data folder? I know if I use Opera mobile, it sticks loads of files in the Opera\cache4 subdirectory. Also if you horde today screens like I do, the Home subdir fills up pretty quickly. Also, Live Search and Google maps take up lots of space. Beyond that, what are the sizes of your internal databases (I think pim.vol and cemail.vol in the root directory are these)?
  18. n99hockey

yea i was thinking that too...but i guess i kinda talked myself out of thinking that was right...but its possible
  19. n99hockey

well i dont use opera....
    only have a the screen i use plus the standard screens in the \home folder
    pim.vol is 3mb
    cemial.vol is 5mb
    and all programs are installed on SD card....who knows....
    just wierd that it disappeared like that when the week earlier it was much more

thanks for your input!
  20. n99hockey

Found It!!!!

ok so i was going through my emails and removing misc. things and i came across my drafts folder which had '1' file in it
    i dont remember making a draft so i go and look at it....somehow (im sure i did it but dont remember) there was an email in there i was attempting to send that had a 5meg attachement!!!!

i removed this email and bam...my memory is back up to 20megs free!

anywho...long story short...i found the problem and it was my own doing (as most of the problems that happen are :tounge:)

thanks for all your help and thoughts....:laugh2: