PocketDos

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by rudeboy, Oct 7, 2008.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

join the club, i could not either :]

if it's a regular dos game it will work.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I think I was in the download section when the pop ups came. But a good site never the less. I found ROTK3. That was my favorite game when I was in high school. Can't seem to get it to work.

How does pdos work? I open dos and cd to the ROTK3 folder. I run MAIN.EXE and I just get a blank screen. There are a few other exe files, and I tried to run all of them, and I can't seem to get them to work
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

well, i have not tried that particular game but yea, cd to the directory and start the .exe/.com/.bat.. that should do it.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well, it sounds like I did everything correctly but still can't get it to run. I guess I'll try to download another game and see what happens.
  5. k_semler

k_semler New Member

Out of curiosity, has anybody tried to install Windows 3.11 For Workgroups on it?:) Now that would be cool. :)
  6. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

That is an interesting concept. If I can find a version of it, I will see if it will install. That would be awesome to run some old school windows apps on my q.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

whahahahaa.... i know i have 3.11 at home, might try.. and after that it's Novell's turn :}
  8. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

Alright, I have DOSbox installed on my laptop, and I went out and downloaded a copy of win3.11. I got it to install under DOSbox, so I know the version works. I'm copying the files over to the Q right now, and I will post installation results in just a minute :)
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

this is pretty cool :}
  10. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

That idea is quickly defeated. When you run the setup program (from the original Q) it throws this exception: "You attempted to run Windows 3.11 from a computer running a 8086, 8088, or 80286 processor. Windows 3.11 requires an 80386 or higher processor
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

big bummer man....
  12. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

I'm getting a little further. I found a plugin on the pocketdos site that will emulate an x86 processor. I installed that, and I can get setup to run. Now it tells me that my copy of HIMEM driver is not compatible, so I need to edit the config.sys file to finish the install. I'm too tired now to figure out where pocketdos put that file, but later today I will investigate and see if I can't get windows running on the q :)
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

keep us posted.... interesting stuff.
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

15. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

Are there some optimum settings for PocketDos to get it running as fast as possible? I can get Monkey Island 2 to work but it's pretty sluggish.

Craig
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Who knows how to turn up the sound on this thing? I already went into settings and "enabled pc speaker". But I still don't have sound.
  17. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

Okay, i found the config.sys file locatd in the A:, but after editing it as MS suggested I get an error saying there is no himem file instaled (perhaps because you told me to disable it hmmm). I'm going to look around at some settings on my laptop to see if I can't get the proper drivers moved over to make the install a success.