Pocket Peepel - Great Windows Mobile Tracking App

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by rmctainsh, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rmctainsh

rmctainsh New Member

Pocket Peepel - Great Windows Mobile Tracking App

Pocket Peepel is a FREE tracking app for windows mobile devices which allows tracking via gps, wifi or cell tower locations. Your location can be viewed on a touch interactive map.

Pocket Peepel ties in with Peepel.com which allows you to signup for free & view your location on a web based map.

You can also add contacts to your account and let them see where you are by using tracking permissions. You can also track your contacts if they have given you permisson.

Pocket Peepel also allows you to view your contacts locations on its inbuilt map.

Also did I mention that it's free :)

Check it out... www.peepel.com
  2. the1after909

the1after909 New Member

Hi everyone,

I work for Peepel.

If any of you want to give our mobile software a try, I'll be monitoring this forum to give a helping hand if and when required/requested.

Hope you enjoy using Pocket Peepel,
    John Pritchard
  3. the1after909

the1after909 New Member

If you want to know a bit more about Pocket Peepel before you install it, I recommend you browse the user manual. It's got plenty of screenshots and should give you a good idea of what it's all about.

Get the Pocket Peepel Guide PDF here.

:)
    JP
  4. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

And why would someone use this instead of the Latitude feature on Google Maps for Mobile?
  5. txter

txter New Member

either one is always good to track the significant other when in doubt
  6. rmctainsh

rmctainsh New Member

There are a few features that Pocket Peepel offers which make it better in my opinion:

1. more detailed permissions

Latitude offers on/off for each friend whereas pocket peepel offers off/aquaintance (within 5km)/friend (within 2km)/trusted (most accurate).

2. controlling upload/download

Control it better by choosing how often to update your location and your contacts locations (to your device).

3. media pings

Take photos and attach them to your current location with ease. These photos are then sent to anyone tracking you on a peepel webmap (through a browser) and are also accessible throught the Media Gallery application on the website.

4. peepelpoints

Points of interest can be saved to your account as PeepelPoints, can be shared (viewable by your contacts) or made public (viewable by any user).

5. map data cache

PocketPeepel can be used without a current phone data connection. Simply download the map tiles you need for the time you will be without data conn. by using the tile cache feature, you can even choose where to store the tiles.

you can also turn off/on tile (map image) downloads to save download.
  7. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

Odd that Peeple is not mobile accessable until you have an account and the user manual is in .pdf. Does it work on non-touch phones?

* I switched Opera 8.65 to Identify as Desktop and tried to load peeple.com. I got a blank screen after a rather long wait. FAIL.
  8. rmctainsh

rmctainsh New Member

Sorry for the misinformation. You will need to view the website (peepel.com) through a desktop machine (pc/mac/etc.) to get more information about Pocket Peepel.

There is a mobile device version of the website but it seems you were taken to the actual site. Perhaps putting opera in desktop mode has gotten past the mobile device detection and sent you to the normal site.

Pocket Peepel does work on non-touch phones.

Alternatively, here is the link to download it: http://peepel.s3.amazonaws.com/PocketPeepel.Setup.CAB
  9. the1after909

the1after909 New Member

10. bberryhill0

I installed PocketPeepel. It opens and then closes on my Q9c. No error messages it just goes away.
  11. the1after909

the1after909 New Member

Sorry it is not working for you. To help us assist you with this problem please send the contents of your PocketPeepel logs folder (located in the PocketPeepel folder in the Program Files folder) to support@peepel.com and we'll get back to you asap.

Also, please ensure that you have at least Microsoft Compact Framework version 2 installed.
  12. the1after909

the1after909 New Member

13. bberryhill0

This keeps getting weirder but here you go. My phone hasn't bricked yet.

Attached Files:

14. the1after909

the1after909 New Member

Pocket Peepel won't brick your phone :)

I've passed your log file onto the phone dev team and they should have some answers for us tomorrow.
  15. the1after909

the1after909 New Member

The current version of PocketPeepel may not work with some non-touch screen phones as access to hardware for testing was limited. Thankyou for highlighting this issue for us. We will look at correcting this problem early next year and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

However, the good news is that the current PocketPeepel version does work on all touch screen Windows Mobile 5 and above phones.
  16. bberryhill0

Bet it doesn't work on ANY non-touch phones.
  17. helltoupee

helltoupee New Member

bberryhill Q9s have neither wifi or stand alone gps or phone accessible cell tower location functions from what I understand. It would be my guess that the app finds no way to connect and fails. I could be wrong but in any case I don't think this app will work on a Q9c. Possibly with the original Q because if I remember correctly the cell tower location function works with that model but not the newer ones.

Sent from my Q9c soon to be replaced with a TP2
  18. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I can't speak for the Q9c, but the Q9h Global has gps and cell tower location functions.
  19. bberryhill0

The Q9c has GPS. It is just locked down to various degrees by different carriers. Other GPS apps connect to the Intermediate Driver on my USCC Q9c but the ID doesn't connect to the GPS so they never find any satellites. Sprint left GPS unlocked on the Q9c. Verizon restricted it to their app.

Sent from my not soon to be retired Q9c.