pMSNServer.exe??

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Drewfu$, Jan 27, 2007.

1. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

This does not load on my phone unless I sign into MSN Messenger.
  2. K3SRK

K3SRK New Member

ActiveSync to \Windows and copy the attached file, overwriting the existing.

Attached Files:

3. binder

binder New Member

what is this dll for?

i think it might be safer just to change the dll files to .dl files so you can make an easy adjustment back.
  4. K3SRK

K3SRK New Member

Same difference. You can either change a bunch of references to .dl or use mine once. Either way accomplishes the same thing. But as always, keep a backup of anything you mess with.
  5. kyderr

kyderr New Member

fix for pmsnserver

I was able to create a small text file and replace pmsnserver. Since its in ROM there was no need need to back up. it will return when I delete the text file. (Tested ok) I used word pad to create the file (Vieka)
  6. jondiehl

jondiehl New Member

Overwriting the file didn't work for me (either going in with Activesync, or doing with with Resco Explorer).

It gave an error saying that the .dll file is read-only, can't be deleted or overwritten because it's in ROM, etc.....

I tried changing the properties of the file and same deal, it won't let you take it off read-only.
  7. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

i really think this is pointless. It only opens if you are using MSN Messenger and sign in, or have a hotmail email account setup in pocket outlook. If you are doing either it would be safe t assume you are using it, so why delete it?

It does not load on my Q unless I manually sign into Messenger.
  8. nags

nags New Member

I've never signed into MSN messenger on my phone and I dont have a Hotmail account and it's usually open on my phone as well.
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ditto as nags.... never opened anything even close to it and it starts itself anyway. it started doing it directly after i did a Master Reset a while back and i do know if i start anything or not :}
  10. R_Miller

R_Miller New Member

you're right it only shows up when you send/receive an sms.
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

not sure if this is true, it could be i guess... but i remember a while ago we had a member here who timed it and without doing anything the pMSNServer.exe started running every 10 minutes, yes he had quite some time on his hands i guess :}
  12. prberg

prberg Member

So which method actually works? I keep reading suggestions but then someone said the suggestion didn't work. I was going to try to delete the registry entries but my registry editor (PHM) can't find any entries when I try to find: 'pMSNserver.exe'. Does anyone know which specific keys need to be deleted?

thanks,
    -Peter B
  13. TimTheGreat

TimTheGreat New Member

Okay guys, I think I might've figured this one out. I used Mobile Registry Editor because it sucks a lot less than trying to navigate the registry on the Q itself. This is very similar to the solution posted earlier, but I was a bit more selective about what I deleted. It seems to be working for me thus far.

I only recommend doing this if you don't use MSN on the Q. Do this at your own risk!

1) Delete this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Pocket MSN
    2)Restart the phone. I noticed I only saw the service pop up after receiving a text. Sooo this leads me to the next step.
    3) Take a look at this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Hotmail.MailRuleClient\CLSID
    I guess when the mail program receives something, MSN wants to process mail rules for Hotmail so it looks for a process here. Note the value of the string contained in the key, you'll need this in a sec.
    4) Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID and look for the string you just took note of. Delete the key that matches the string in the key we just looked at.
    5) Restart the phone and see if that helps you at all.

If that didn't work for you, try weeding out some more services. There are a couple other Hotmail services under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT you could try. Also, further down, there are a TON of MSN processes you could try. No guarantees as to what they'll do though.

And of course, if you do this, post your results!

ADD: Also, I wouldn't try running the MSN program anymore, because it might repair what we just broke. Not sure though. Be careful.
  14. johndubya

johndubya New Member

I downloaded Resco Explorer / Registry for Windows Smartphone from here:
    http://www.resco.net/smartphone/explorer/downloads.asp

I installed it and opened up the registry and followed the steps of using "Find" and then "Find Next" for pmsnshared.dll and changed them all to .dl instead. This completely fixed my issue. I sent a text, synced to my PC, and checked my Gmail without problems. I also do not ever use MSN or MSN Messenger, so if you do use these, editing the registry may cause problems. Just be careful. Good luck, everyone!
  15. RnRExpress

RnRExpress New Member

Worked perfect - thanks!!
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea... this is a repeat, this same "solution" was posted when i just joined EQ which is over a year ago...
  17. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

Well, I finally got around to tweaking the Registry.

I've had this phone for nearly 1.5 years and finally started tweaking the registry. Nothing like taking it slow.
  18. johndubya

johndubya New Member

Amazing. Before this hack, I took my phone off the charger at 8am, and it would be dead by 2pm. After this hack, I still have 2-3 bars by 10pm. I can't believe they haven't fixed this bug in the firmware yet.
  19. txter

txter New Member

i dont know what the deal is with this server thing. i only see mine in task manager when im using PIE. i dont see when i send sms or mms either. the only thing i can think of is that it pops up on mine while data transfering. it then goes away, i guess. as for batt life it just plain sucks. i have a chrgr with me @ all times.
  20. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i dont use the pocket msn that came with the Q but i use MSN messanger on Slick
    would this affect that or just the pocket msn if i get rid of it?