Please Help, Q9h 3g and internet incredibly slow..

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mkvgti, Jul 5, 2008.

1. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That's very interesting. I can't get my Q9h to go above 700kb/s. Which speed test site are you using? Could be some discrepancies between different sites. But then again you've doubled our results. Guess the speeds promised by ATT do exists, just not everywhere. Thanks for sharing.
  2. sniffs

sniffs New Member

I'm using dslreports.com/mspeed as mentioned above.

Weird thing is I remember my 6700 being faster than 200kbps.. I'm wondering if they've capped the bw?

I used to tether the thing and remember getting 150k downloads.. *shrug*.. I use my Q9h now for most things..

Here's the thing tho.. the 6700 is Rev0.. Supposedly RevA devices are burstable to a much higher data rate.

The 6800 (aka the HTC Mogul) is RevA and should provide more bandwidth.
  3. Q-Me

Q-Me New Member

Results for 3G, 1 mb test, Opera, DFW area:

602 kbit/sec
    .505 lat
    13.939 d/l
  4. tendomentis

tendomentis New Member

Your reported speed can also be affected by any other processes you may have running on your phone. At 3G speeds, modern smartphone processors have trouble keeping up with actually PROCESSING that much data that quickly, which can throw off your speed test if done from the handset.

Case in point:

I just ran a speed test on my phone from Opera.
    677 kbit/sec
    .29s latency

Then, I tethered to my laptop (still right here at my desk).
    873 kbit/sec
    .552s latency

Notice that the laptop tethering speed is higher, but the latency is also higher (possibly due to the tethering).

Something worth noting: If I go to speakeasy.net/speedtest and do a speed test off a local server, these are my results.

1260 kbps download speed
    316 kbps upload speed

This might have something to do with the servers doing the speed test are all of 30 minutes away from me (but their relative closeness would also have me trust that figure more).
  5. CBonney

CBonney New Member

I checked as well from Georgia and I got

Results for 3G, 1 mb test, Opera,
    518 kbit/sec
    .316s lat
    16.084 d/l

Seems to be about normal to me.
  6. sniffs

sniffs New Member

Strange.. at my house, my Q9h didn't really notice much of a slowdown compared to when I'm in my office in Irvine.. both at my house and at work i get about 1.50mbps

I did notice that while at home, my 6700 which was showing 200kbps in Irvine, I saw it peak above 1.2mbps while at home..

Weird!
  7. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

Jealous...

EV-DO doesn't seem as fast I thought it was "sold" to be. I get nowhere near the speed AT&T customers (apparently) get. I did 3 runs, and here are my results. I have 1 to 3 bars at all times, and get great call quality (never drop calls here, either). I used the website (BBR) mentioned in this thread on PIE. I know decent differences between the technology, but is it just me that didn't know GSM 3G is faster than CDMA 3G (EV-DO)? What gives...

I'm on VZW with an EV-DO connection, and get the following results:

1st attempt

Size: 1MB
    Speed: 234kbit/sec
    2.729s latency
    36.663s d/l time

2nd attempt
    Speed: 121kbit/sec
    1.565s latency
    69.196s d/l time

3rd attempt
    Speed: 391kbit/sec
    3.088s latency
    23.49s d/l time
  8. jwperez1

jwperez1 New Member

I have a question. When I go to dslreports.com and run the test on my Motorola Qh, I get speeds averaging between 300 and 350 kbs. Sometimes I get 5-600 kbs, but nothing any faster. I do tethering using intShrUI and when I run the dslreports.com speedtest in Firefox I get around 100 kbs. Does anyone know what is happening to the bandwidth when tethering?

Also, when I download somethin (when tethering), Firefox reports speeds of 20-30 kbs (sometimes I get up to 50 kbs, but never higher). Why this big difference between actual download and the tests?

Thanks
  9. endobrian

endobrian New Member

Thank you for re-posting this. It's not on the faq...or not that I could tell. :smile:
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You're welcome :laugh2:
  11. DUTCH

DUTCH New Member

Javascript - Lack of Support?

When I try this test from Opera on a stock ATT 9h, I get an error message that my browser does not fully support Javascript, and it cannot do the test.

What can I do to fix this? TIA.
  12. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

It'll probably do this with all of us, but within about two seconds it will go on to the site after realising that JAVA is supported by the browser.

If your device is an exception for some reason, then you could always try Internet Explorer.

In my experience, however, all phones get forwarded to the test regardless of the message.
  13. DUTCH

DUTCH New Member

I'll have to try IE, because Opera kept giving that message. Thanks.
  14. DUTCH

DUTCH New Member

Both Opera and IE will go to the website, but when I click on the Speed Test link, it displays the same error message and goes back to the opening page for the link. No speed test happens.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Most people don't unfortunately. Verizon likes to tout that its Rev. A is as fast as our 3G (which is really like 3.5G because of HSDPA) but they'll only tell you that when you bring it up to them. I don't know how fast Rev. A actually goes, but they're standard EV-DO is definitely not as fast as HSDPA.

UMTS and EV-DO are similar, speedwise. But in a sense, HSDPA is a technology that came after UMTS, and thus I said its kinda like 3.5. Its a seperate technology that was developed to increased speed. And because our 3G towers took longer to come up than Verizon, AT&T implemented HSDPA in virtually all towers. They were actually the first company in the WORLD to deploy a HSDPA centric network. So enjoy. You are on the fastest mobile network in the US :2cool:

It might not be as fast as everyone wants or wishes it was given the claims, but its still the fastest there is.
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

What do you mean by centric network? I know they use a different frequency but haven't Europe and Asia been on 3G for years now?
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

3G is a very generic term for radio protocols. It encapsulates most protocols developed after 1xx and EDGE.

However, HSDPA is more of a 4G speed, but not quite. Its a bridge between the 2, so its like a 3.5G in simple terms.

Yes, other countries had "3G" before us. But AT&T was the first mobile company to deploy HSDPA onto their network. Its faster than what most tech savvy people call 3G, which is UMTS on the GSM/TDMA roadmap. Like I said, because AT&T was late to the game with 3G (although still WAY ahead of T-Mo, which makes me think it wasn't completely AT&T's fault), they pretty much simultaneously deployed UMTS (it can do voice and data), and HSPDA (which, like EDGE, is a data only protocol). And that protocol, HSDPA, is what AT&T first deployed in any 3G network in the world. I don't know if the other 3G networks have caught up, but for a while at least, AT&T was the fastest mobile network, data wise, in the entire world.

Maybe I should write a sticky about this. Its a bit much to explain.
  18. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Oddly enough, I get better speeds with IE. I get between 600 and 700 kbps while opera mobile gives me between 300 to 450 on average.
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Do it! I would love to read up on that...
  20. Lyle Beach

Lyle Beach New Member

I am getting the same message?! won't work for me??