Please Help, Q9h 3g and internet incredibly slow..

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mkvgti, Jul 5, 2008.

1. mkvgti

mkvgti New Member

Please Help, Q9h 3g and internet incredibly slow..

I just switched from a BB Curve, to the q9h. My phone says its running 3g signal, but when I open opera or IE its just like using edge or even slower. I also have slingplayer installed and that runs ok, but is choppy every 5 seconds or so. Can anyone offer any suggestions or help, thanks in advance. (btw I've already switched to a 3g sim card)
  2. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

You said you switched to a 3G SIM, but did you also make sure your account had 3G services turned on?

If you go to http://dslreports.com/mspeed , what is your tested speed?
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

If you want 3g speeds all the time, then enable band selection and choose 3g only. Keeping it at 3g will help sling player significantly. I use that app all the time. If your browser still feels a little sluggish, you can try the IE speed hack:

Enable band selection:
    1. Go to Home Screen
    2. Type *#1546792*# and then send
    3. You will see new screen that indicates that Band
    Selection was enabled
    4. Now you can go to Settings/Phone/Network/Band
    Selection

IE speed hack:
    Set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\

change the key
    MaxConnectionsPerServer from 4 to 50
  4. mkvgti

mkvgti New Member

Yes, my 3g services are turned on, for the 100k test, I got 39kbits/sec 0.968 seconds latency, 21.161 seconds for the d/l time
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

That's not a good result at all. It should have redirected you to try a bigger file. My results after trying the 1mb file was 380 kb/s, .367s latency, 21.886s d/l time ... which is disappointing in my opinion.
  6. reckoningday

reckoningday New Member

Every time I get into a 3G network, my speeds are blazing. Pretty much like broadband internet speeds.
  7. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I guess the network here in NYC has so many users that it's a bit congested.
    Well... It's not like I'm downloading huge files to my phone. The speeds I'm getting is good enough for email and web browsing. Most of the issues are the web rendering abilities of the mobile browser and the phone.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

so...it's obvious that d/l time stands for download time, but what do the other two values stand for? I got the following values:

IE:
    490kbit/sec, 0.623s latency, 17.075s d/l time

Opera:
    457kbit/sec, 0.528s latency, 18.415s d/l time
  9. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

The kbit/sec is the primary measure of your download speed. Latency is, in simplest terms, the measure of delay in the network and the d/l time is the length of time it took to download the file that is used to judge your d/l speed.
    Man, we should be getting faster speeds than these. This is not that much better than Edge.
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Really? What should the speeds be for each value under perfect 3g conditions?
  11. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

No such thing as perfect 3g conditions but download speeds should be at least 800 kb/s especially since AT@T loves to flaunt 'rated to 3.2mbps'.
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

At least 800 kb/s??? Man I'm barely getting half of what should be minimum??? That really sucks. And here I was happy with the speeds. Because I thought, "it's a mobile phone, what do you expect?". Well now I know I should expect more. Is there anything we can do to increase performance? Or do we have to take it as it comes?
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Not all towers are HSDPA yet, and even if they are, some aren't upgraded to do 3.2 yet. So you've just gotta be patient. The network is ever changing, and still growing. Its faster than CDMA 3G towers, that much I can assure you.
  14. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

That makes sense, ninjaap, but with NYC being a major market there is no reason for me to be getting 400kbps average.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

So out of curiosity, I did a little testing with my internet speeds. Heres what I got. I locked in my bands so that they wouldn't switch or anything.

PIE:
    EDGE:90kb/sec; .94s latency; 5.127s d/l time
    3G: 645 kb/sec. FYI, the connection was so fast for smaller files, it gave me an error and said I needed to try a larger file. This was done downloading a 1mb file.

Opera:
    EDGE: 98kb/sec; .865s latency; 8.998s d/l time
    3G: 486 kb/sec. Again, too fast for a small connection, had to use the 1mb benchmark.

I enclosed screenshots of both 3G tests. Like I suspected, it just varies on what the network is equipped with. Here in LA, they haven't fully integrated with the 3G market, as there isn't coverage everywhere. You'll hit some dead serious dead spots if you set your phone to 3G only. But in Las Vegas for example, I can't find a place where my phone drops to EDGE only. So the good news for LA, they seem to be upgraded to HSDPA.

Attached Files:

16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

So, mexiken, if LA has already upgraded to HSDPA, then you're saying your 645kb/s is good? But kareljack claims we should be getting at least 800kb/s. All three of us are only averagiIng 500mb/s. You live in LA, kareljack in NYC, I'm from San Francisco Bay Area... these are all major cities. I'm sure these are where the HSDPA towers would have initially been built. Shouldn't we be swimming in 3.2mb/s HSDPA towers by now?
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well, I'm not exactly sure on that. See, in LA, we were one of the LAST major markets to get 3G. Its a HUGE market (more than 5 million suscribers here), and you don't want to deploy it in such a huge market for logistical reasons. So they didn't. So who knows really. I guess it just depends really.
  18. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Ninjaap, keep in mind that my statement is a personal and unprofessional opinion. I based it on the line that 3g is supposed to triple the speed of edge and push the 2mb barrier.
    I am well aware that the 3.2mb rating is the theoretical capability achieved under optimal "lab" conditions. However, based on everything that I have read about 3g, I think it's fair and well within reason to expect 800kb/s average.
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I totally get what your saying. And I agree with everything you're saying. I'm just hoping someone out there could give us some type explanation. I mean I am with ATT because they promised HSDPA, 3g. We are paying a premium for this service, so it's only fair that we get what we pay for. If I knew what I know now, I would have just went with sprints EVDO. Shoot... their unlimted data plan is alot cheaper than ATT's. But I guess I have no choice but to wait and see if things improve as mexiken suggests.
  20. sniffs

sniffs New Member

I have 3 data devices on my desk. I am in the middle of Irvine, CA which is a huge commercial city that has near perfect signal's for pretty much any carrier.

I have a ATT Motorola Q9h (3G), a Sprint PPC-6700 (CDMA, also 3G) and a Blackberry Curve 8310 (EDGE)

I've tested all 3 and can say without a doubt that ATT's 3G is mucho faster than Sprint's 3G.. (EDGE is obviously the slowest. I didn't necessarily test them against the other 3G devices.)

I did the 1MB tests on both the 6700 and the Q9h and average speeds on my 6700 are about 200kbps. I didn't even bother doing the tests on the BB.. Dont want to waste my time.. lol?

On the Q9h, I peak above 1.5mbps average. Definately a huge increase.

Keep in mind that GSM 3G is not offered everywhere.. Mostly in major metropolitan cities.. and even then, it may not be full speed available due to congestion.