Please help..I'm considering the Q9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by decypher44, Nov 30, 2007.

1. decypher44

decypher44 New Member

Please help..I'm considering the Q9c

Hi all,

I've been visiting this board for the past week or so as I am considering jumping on the Q through Sprint. Currently, I use a RAZR with ATT and it's...ok. I'm just looking at getting current with the times (and a cheaper plan...SERO) and the Q9c is the only phone that meets my criteria. If you guys and gals could give me your thoughts on the following, it would really help me out in deciding if I should go ahead and get this.

1) GPS - I would really benefit from this as I need to drive to different areas that would be constantly new to me. What I want to know is it worth it to pay for the Sprint Navigation, or just use Google maps. How is the accuracy on both? I'm really trying to justify spending the money on Nav versus using that to pay for the insurance plan.

2) I have a Mac (Leopard). I know that Syncing won't work, but it's not all that important to me. I just want to be able to transfer photos and music. Anyone here own a Mac and the Q that could give me any pros and cons?

3) MMS. I know that the Q through Sprint currently does not handle this. If someone sends you MMS from another carrier, are you still able to retrieve their attachment?

4) I use Gmail as my primary email service. Is it easy to get my mail using the Q?

In advance, I'd like to thank you for any help you can provide. This will be my first smartphone and I'm a little nervous about taking the plunge. I'm fairly competent when it comes to tech, so I'm not hesitant to take on something new, I'm just concerned about hard limitations.
  2. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

GPS - I've used the GPS on the Q9c with Windows Live Search, and it works well - it tracks your movements, and moves to the next step in the directions automatically. It does not give you voice turn-by-turn directions, though. I've not looked at the Sprint Navigator service, but I would hope for the $9.99 per month they charge, that it would include voice directions;

MMS - If you've set up your picture mail account with Sprint, when you get an MMS, you'll get a text message with a link to your picture mail account to view the message (at least this was the case with the MMS (picture attachment) I sent from my Verizon phone to the Q9c);

Gmail - It's very easy to set up.
  3. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

1. GPS - I think google maps and windows lives search are competent navi solutions for the driver who just needs a quick direction here and there. they are certainly not replacements for a dedicated system like a portable garmin or tomtom. (the q9c with gmaps or wls would be most useful if you always had a passenger with you to punch in queries or call out directions :) )

4. Gmail - although i haven't set it up yet, i think it will be extremely easy to do so as you can use the automatic settings to do it. go to the following page and scroll down to "Setting up Email with Automatic Settings" for instructions: http://www.motorola.com/Hellomoto/M...ls/Static Files/US-EN/SettingUpEmail_Q9c.html
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

actually the gmail setup is different from the regular email setup
    follow the instructions in this thread for it to work properly
  5. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

but it's specifically listed under Automatic Email settings section. it still won't work that way?
  6. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Those won't quite do it for you because of the way Gmail threads replies. You can set up the receipt of incoming mail very easily, but unless you change the setup slightly, each time you reply, it will pop up as a new msg in your inbox on the Q. There's a thread (probably the one linked above) which details a method of setting up a second account for incoming mail forwarded from your primary account and using your primary account for outgoing mail. It's not hard to do though.
  7. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

i see. i will keep this in mind when/if i ever get around to setting up mine. thanks!