pim.vol will not overwrite or be removed

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Shasta, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Shasta

Shasta New Member

pim.vol will not overwrite or be removed

Hey guys,

I know there's over 100 pim.vol threads on here (I've been sifting through them for about 3 hours now) but this one really takes the cake.

I updated my Q9m to 6.1 two months ago. All was going well until it started freezing (I narrowed it down to an issue in the texting, but all predictive/text correction was turned off), so I admitted defeat and did a master reset. Before I did that, I copied my pim.vol file as I have done many times before.

My new issue is that when I try to overwrite it using my computer & usb connection (running XP, sp3) it tells me "cannot copy pim: there has been a sharing violation The source or destination file may be in use." I tried copying it to my storage card, renaming the file, and trying to move the one I want into the root with my computer. Won't take it. Won't delete the new one. Says it's in use.

So, thanks to you awesome people, I have downloaded Total Commander. Sweet program. However, sweet as it is, when I try to copy the pim from the storage card to the root to overwrite the target file it says "cannot copy or move file." I tried to rename it, everything. It simply WILL NOT DIE.:dft007:angry

If I just leave both vol files hang out in there (altered, nothing-in-it file and my vol file) and restart, the phone freezes at the WM6.1 screen and I have to master reset. It even wouldn't master reset one time, so I had to flash it using the 6.1 how to sticky and the flash file VRZ_P3_NN_C_07.7A.00I_UPGRADE_FILE_01.sbf .

I'm beside myself. I thought I did it all correctly, and it's just bricking and being ridiculous. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

-------------
    Edit: Ok, after getting really angry, I renamed the unwanted pim an expletive, and was able to move it to the MUSIC folder. Then I copied in my old pim, restarted the phone, and Bam! My contacts were all there.

Just goes to show you that cursing actually can help you. haha!
  2. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

i used to just rename it
    drag the one i want to use to the same folder
    soft reset
    delete the renamed one
  3. Shasta

Shasta New Member

That worked for me until I upgraded to 6.1. Believe me, I tried that about 50 times. It could be renamed but not moved. I'm not sure how it resolved itself, but it did, so I'm a happy Q user.
  4. Hyundaifixer

Hyundaifixer New Member

i have the same problem. I moved the pim.vol file to my storage card. I evey sycn'd my phone to the lap top. did the master reset. renamed the pim on the phone after the reset pim1.vol. I moved the pim.vol off the storage card @ nothing. I cannot delete the pim1.vol & I have no contacts.

So I connected the phone to the lap top....I have no clue how to get the contacts off the computer to the phone...it wont transfer.

I need help... Thanks.
  5. manbat

manbat Active Member

Did you soft reset the phone? Turn off then on? After that it should read the saved pim.vol and display the contacts you had when you saved the original pim.vol, you will then be able to delete the renamed one.
  6. Hyundaifixer

Hyundaifixer New Member

yeah. did the soft reset and the phone locked up. it would not move past the green WM 6.1 screen. Even pulled the battery a bunch of times.

But I found out tonight that there is a software master reset and a hardware reset.

I had to turn the phone off. Hold the Center key (q9c) and turn it on. It went to a black screen with "master reset" in green text. "Yes" in the lower left corner and "NO" in the lower right. pressed yes and it went to the green screen for a min or so....then the phone went dark, I pressed the home button and it was back to the way it was new out of the box.

I still could not move the pim over.. But I think since I MOVED it to my storage card instead of COPY that might have been the problem. But this morning I sycn'd with the laptop so it was all there. phew.....

never could get my renamed pim1.vol deleted, but now I don't have to worry about it. but maybe this info will help someone....
  7. manbat

manbat Active Member

Forgot to add that it takes Total Commander or Resco File Explorer to do the delete...mentioned many times here before though...glad you got it working.
  8. txter

txter New Member

next time try this.
    rename the one with all your contacts "pimold.vol"
    THEN rename the empty one "pimnew.vol"
    THEN go back to the one you want to keep and rename it AGAIN back to "pim.vol"
    soft reset the phone and you should be good. you really cant do anything when their is a pim.vol unnamed. it will always try to read it. you need to change it first before overwriting anything.

if you start to get them mixed up, just look at the size of the files. the one that has the contacts will be larger.
  9. JoshuaReen

JoshuaReen New Member

I have used “Long Path Tool” in this situation and it helped me easily and quickly.