Picture Mail MMS?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by CumulusWI, Jan 24, 2007.

1. CumulusWI

CumulusWI New Member

Picture Mail MMS?

I have a treo 700wx and there was a registry hack that you could install from Arc Soft to allow you to send pictures like normal Sprint Picture mail from the days of the 700p and 650. This was a handy hack.

I tried to use the same cab file on the Q and no luck. It installs but it doesn't provide the same functionality. Does anyone know of a registry hack to send MMS picture mail?
  2. Tha187um

Tha187um New Member

I am glad I am not the only sprint user on these forums complaining about the same thing... unfortunately I have looked everywhere and have not come accross any apps or hacks what would enable the feature. I did figure out a work around for the mean time... all the techs kept telling me was to email them... but what good is a picture to an email for someone that checks it once a week? what they didnt clarify was that EACH carrier gives you 2 email addresses, a regular email address and the MMS or PM address... so:

Step 1. Set up an email address, for outgoing mail put smtp.sprint.com and check the require authentication box. set it for 15 minutes or to your liking.

Step 2. Find out the carriers from your contacts. (sprint, verizon, t-mobile, etc...)

The hard way Ive been able to figure out only 4 of the major carriers email format, which in miami there is only 5 :) ... here they go..

Sprint:
    10digitphone#@pm.sprint.com

Verizon:
    10digitphone#@vzwpix.com

Cingular:
    10digitphone#@mms.mycingular.com

T-Mobile:
    10digitphone#@tmomail.net

Alltel:
    10digitphone#@message.alltel.com

Step 3. compose a new email, send it to your contact which has the following format and when is sent, it will either be sent in 15 minutes or press right soft key, send/receive to send it right away... the user will receive it the same way they always have...

remeber, other user can still send you picture the old way...

now 2 questions of my own, if anyone knows the mms email format for MetroPCS please post it... or even better if anyone finds the hack :) post it..

something to ponder... I gather from Verizon users that they can just simply snap a picture and click send, mms... and it works, even motorola told me the same thing when I called them, yet sprint is denying disabling the feature on the phone and stated that the feature is not supported by the OS, when I told them that Moto and Verizon users see it enabled he said it might have been a modified version of the OS.
  3. widdlewade

widdlewade New Member

I'm getting errors, left and right..

Are you setting up the new acct in under text messages of outlook? Are you leaving the incoming server names blank?
    Thanks!
  4. Bwizzy

Bwizzy New Member

Check it thun. When you have your email poppin on your Q, go like your going to send an email and this is what you put in the address bar: 5555555555@pm.sprint.com or whatever that person celly number is by whatever carrier. I'm using sprint as an example.
    Then you insert the pic you wanna send. Then send that jont. BAM picture mail. F^%$ Sprint for doing this to my Q.
  5. Tha187um

Tha187um New Member

Ok, you have to set up a NEW email account... I know it can work with anything that supports pop3, but I really recommend to just use your sprint account, trust me on that one... that way they cant blame your mail provider if something doesnt work...

if you do the sprint one, when you are creating the email account, it will prompt for your full emaill address... username@sprintpcs.com do next and let it autodetect the server settings.
  6. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Can someone respond to this? Do you leave the incoming maile server blank?

Also I dont have a Vision Password. I just checked. Does it matter?

Thanks 4 the Help!
  7. crippler19

crippler19 New Member

what do you put for the incoming mail server? The Sprint server? Im guessing it is pop3.sprintpcs.com ?
  8. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I'll try that. Thanks
  9. ZATZAi

ZATZAi New Member

It's pop.sprintpcs.com, the outgoing is smtp.sprintpcs.com, the username is the first part of your email address, so if your bob@sprintpcs.com, it's just "bob" sans quotes, oh, and the outgoing server requires authentication, but Sprint does not require SSL.

I don't know if you have to do anything special to setup your email account, I had the tech over the phone setup mine when I got my phone, so you may have to call it in to get it setup before you can use it, I think you can just dial *2 for that.
  10. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Actually, I've had one setup with them for a long time now and I had to use it before to send pictures with one of my old Sprint phone (can't remember which one). I was able to get my Comcast email to come through no problem. So I should be ok not having a Vison password right?
  11. ZATZAi

ZATZAi New Member

You can use any email provider you want. If you want to use Sprint, you just need to have an email setup with them and know the password, sounds like you have one setup. Same applies if you want to use Comcast, I use Gmail and Sprint myself, but have all outgoing routed through Sprint because of the annoying Gmail sent mail appearing in inbox bug (It's a google bug).
  12. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Cool. Sounds great. Thanks for all the help.
  13. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I tried it and I keep getting and error saying it can't connect for incoming mail. Also it took me back to the username screen and highlighted the password.
  14. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I created a Vison Password, entered all the necessary information and I'm still getting an error: the mail server cannot send or receive messages at this time. Try again later.

Been getting this messages since this morning
  15. bennyandthesets

bennyandthesets New Member

Cingular:
    10digitphone#@mms.mycingular.com

Dose anyone know if this changed now that Cingular is now AT&T? I have tried sending my wife some pix and she never got them. (obviously I am on sprint and she's on cingular come at&t)

Thanks
  16. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

17. crippler19

crippler19 New Member

I keep getting sent back to the password field. I reset the password yesterday but I guess it isn't working. I've used the PCSMail on my previous phone with no problem. Guess I'll just call customer service to see if they can help with it.
  18. bennyandthesets

What are you using as the outgoing server? cause pop.sprint.com, pop.sprintpcs.com and pop3.sprintpcs.com are not working for me[/quote]

I use Gmail but this is an ongoing thing for the last week or so.
  19. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I use Gmail but this is an ongoing thing for the last week or so.[/quote]

Sorry. I what I meant to say was incoming server. I haven't gotten an errors on the outgoing server. Dont you need to use sprint server in order for you pictures to come through at all or will they come up as a text message with a link?
  20. bennyandthesets

they come over as txt with a link, I haven't been able to download attachments from mail