phone turns off by itself?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by cheezykiwi, Aug 23, 2007.

1. cheezykiwi

cheezykiwi New Member

phone turns off by itself?

i think there has been 2 times when i have charged my phone at night and then i wake up and the phone is off.

has this happened to anyone?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i read quite a few of those things when i first started visiting here... lately it seemed to have become less of an issue. keep an eye on it and don't hesitate to exchange it. how long have you had it ?
  3. cheezykiwi

cheezykiwi New Member

I've had it since June. But I feel like if I send it back and get a "new" one it will be a refurbished one... boo.
  4. YamahaBlue

YamahaBlue New Member

It has happened to me a few times now too. it did it just last night. I use my phone as an alarm and well, i was slightly late to work his morning because of it. Won't make that mistake twice. I have taken my phone into a store with a list of issues. One of which was the power off and was told the tech could find no isues. Big surprise there! He reloaded the MOL3 update which I already had done and told me there were no faults found. Guess I am going to have to call CS and see if they will authorize me to swap my phone. I really am starting to hate the Q
  5. dyoung

dyoung New Member

Phone turns off

<P>Since the firmware update, and turning some battery saving settings back on (like beaming) my phone has been VERY reliable!! If you charge it powered on you should listen for the 'beep' when plugging it in, if powered off look for the indicator to light. For some reason every so often it doesn't kick into charging and then will drain the battery as it sits there.</P>
    <P>-dave</P>
  6. YamahaBlue

YamahaBlue New Member

Thats just it though. I have heard the beep and seen the battery indicator change to the charging indicator and it is still off in the am. I always charge my phone while its on. It's my only way off being contacted and i dont turn it off.
  7. dyoung

dyoung New Member

My experience has been that the phone shuts down by itself if 1)the battery goes dead or 2)the phone goes into a sort of a low power coma. The "coma" seem to be induced by applying all of the many battery management "fixes" to extend runtime. By turning on things like beaming and bluetooth you can trade runtime for reliability. 3 months ago I would have gladly pitched this phone- now its solidly reliable. I charge it every night, and carry a spare battery just in case.
    -dave
  8. buckguin

buckguin New Member

Mine does this constantly. A friend that has one has the same problem. I just deal with it because Im usually around it when it does it and I turn it back on. Id rather deal then get a refurb or try to get someone from Alltel to fix it.
  9. daggett003

daggett003 New Member

Low power mode hack

I had this same problem and performed the "low power mode hack" which configures the Q not to turn off if the battery begins to get low. (The hack only fixes this problem, not if your battery dies...just in case this is not self explanitory). My Q has not turned off on it's own since!

Here is the link to the hack:

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/sprint/question-about-qs-chronic-power-off-problem-6268.html

Credit: geoff101 (I think that is his username)
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

obviously the choice is yours.. mine works great and if it wouldn't i would want a new one.
  11. cheezykiwi

cheezykiwi New Member

hay how come sometimes when i plug in my phone to charge i dont hear the "beep??" it use to beep all the time but the last 3 days i've charged it, no beep.