Phone Keeps Restarting

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by jacobnorton, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Willow989

Willow989 New Member

Re: Moto Q9h Keeps Restarting - Probable Battery Fitment Issue

Hi guys,

I think I have traced the problem to the battery or rather the battery connection and fitment in the Moto Q9h (I think someone pointed this out before but when I checked that time, it wasn't an obvious problem).

I will list out the evidence for your comments.

1. Phone restarts when I jar the phone such as drop it (5 inches in air) on to my passenger-side leather car seat (in my car when I am driving)

2. Phone restarts when it is squeezed between my waist (big waist lol!) and my bucket seats (I use a belt holster) in my car

3. I did a test, just squeezed hard on the back cover between thumb and forefinger when I am holiding the phone to my ear with the car charger/handsfree is connected and it restarts.

4. I opened the back cover and prised out the battery (still a very tight fit) and when I put it back in, the phone doesn't seem to detect that there is a battery! Had to fiddle around a bit and only then did the phone start.

5. Phone restarts when I pick it up to answer a call during syncing.

I have notified my local Moto dealer on this issue and he asked me to bring it in. I plan to claim for a replacement and get a new one.

Tell me, does the symptoms above sound familiar?

Jazz
  2. jayhay

jayhay New Member

My Q is le sick

So I am having problems similar to all the posts here. My Q is an original not fancy shmancy Q9c... (Sad)

Anyway I have facade, candlelight, and that is about it for programs. My Q shuts off and restarts at a whim; it drops calls when there is perfect reception; and recently it will take a full charge and drop dead after about an hour. The phone is less than one year old. I have done no damage to the phone. So tonight I take it in to get "repaired." The tech takes a look and comes back and says well you have WM 6, you have all your back light settings set to the highest, and there was some other craptacular excuse. So point by point I shot his excuses down. Number one although I do know enough to screw around with my Q, I am not cool enough to install WM6. I think he got confused when he saw the VISTA background and the facade program. Point 2 about all my backlight settings was also crap because the first thing I did when I got the phone was come here and change my settings as others have done to save battery life.

So the solution, the tech requested a new craptacular Q (i.e. a refurbished q that someone from this website probably returned). Bah! I thought for sure I was going to scrore with a Q9c.

Oh well I will keep you guys updated on the new phone when it comes in on Thursday morning. I am sure I'll have problems with it, I don't ever have good feelings about "refurbished" electronics.

Thanks for letting me vent.

JH

3. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

Which Q do you have? 9H?
  4. jayhay

jayhay New Member

The original Motorola Q for Sprint.
  5. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

Geekster!!! What happened to your Avatar??? Space for rent??? Too Funny. What are you up to?
  6. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Looking for the "right" avatar material. I've got an idea brewing in the back of my little brain!
    Since Crap-tel sales ppl don't have to lie about MMS to sell the MotoQ's anymore & the company not doing anything to stop the lies, (I wonder how many ppl were lied to around the country) I can take my protest "posters" down from here and other forums. I've been busy!
    And you missed my pix! Yesterday for 15 min's I posted my pix on my avatar as a way of celebrate the end of my "protest". It won't happen again! :smile:
  7. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

Oh yeah, I see it is the first line of your original post...duh...

Good luck with the refurbished Q. They are like a box of chocolates...
  8. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

Bummer! I can't leave this site for a minute or I miss all the good stuff. lol

Can't wait to see the "new" you!

DQ
  9. jayhay

jayhay New Member

Oh that is so comforting! I wondered what Sprint did with all the old Qs people traded in for the Q9c. Now I know! Do they actually fix refurbished phones? Or do they just slap a new batery on it and ship it back out?
  10. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

I was actually talking about anything refurbished. It's like buying a used car...you don't know how many "wrecks" it was in before you got it...right?
    The Qc has been around awhile so you may get one with a lot of "miles" on it. Did you consider one of the new models?

DQ
  11. jayhay

jayhay New Member

I would love one of the new models (i.e. Q9c), but I was not offered any "deals." The tech told me that in my situation the best he could do was offer me a refurbished Q for free. This was after asking if I could swap it for something else.

Any ideas?
  12. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

It's free so go with it and if it doesn't work...tell them you want a new one for a really good price. The refurb may be like a new one.
  13. jayhay

jayhay New Member

And so the drama continues...

I picked up my "new" refurbished Qc today and everything was going fine until I tried to connect to the Internet and tried checking my e-mail...

WTF Sprint!

I do not have time to deal with this. BAH!

I keep getting the same error message when I try to connect to the Internet or my exchange server e-mail.

"cannot connect. Verify you have network coverage and try again."

I guess now I have to go back into the city (out of my way). Take time off from work and have the tech look at it, probably tell me the phone is broken and they will ship another one...

I will keep you updated.
  14. jayhay

jayhay New Member

If you read my post in the other section than you already know

I spoke with someone in tech support this evening and he had my type in one thing and it fixed the Q... Interestingly when I went to Google it was in Spanish... go figure. Otherwise all is well with my Moto Q

For now.
    :angry:
  15. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

Did they have you change the outgoing mail to: cwmx.com or was it a different fix. I only ask because it might help the next person who reads this post.

The smartphones are a learning curve for sure. I didn't think I would like mine for the 1st month. This forum and others helped me alot and now I'm totally happy with it. I still read thru the posts to see what else I can learn from them and there is always something. The Moderators are very knowledgable.
  16. jayhay

jayhay New Member

Since you asked...

So Desiree et al. Good point. The least I can do is educate those who come after me. OK so I was given a refurbished phone that would not connect to the Internet. PCS Vision was enabled, but when I went to update my vision profile I would get error code 1012. I spoke to a PCS tech person and he had me enter the following:

##3282# and then I hit the call button

This brings you to the PCS Vision Programming menu.

From here he had me scroll to option D. Restore

Then the Motorola Q asks you for a 6 digit code, I did some googling and found this refered to as the msl or Master subsidy lock. The Master subsidy lock code is based on your ESN and an algorithm created by Sprint.

Of course I did not write down my MSL, but then again I should not need it again now that my phone and pcs vision are actually working.

At the bottom is a link that explains some of what I already talked about.

http://www.gospeedtest.com/sprintpcs.html

Best,
    John
  17. MotQNNJ

MotQNNJ Guest

I have the same problem recently when I put the phone down it shuts off. I have MOL3 installed, but I can't check if there are any more MOLs available, since my Q is out of warranty. I have the original Q.

Any ideas?
  18. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

This is what the Motorola Support site states:

"Motorola Software Update provides the latest approved software for devices that are in warranty. Your device is no longer in warranty based on your date of purchase, thus Motorola Software Update is unable to offer you an update. Please click here to recheck your warranty date or click here to see our newest selection of devices."

DQ
  19. MotQNNJ

MotQNNJ Guest

That's what I read and stated above. I guess I am out of luck than and will have to wait until I get a new phone.:frown: