Phone keeps dying, needs master reset

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by K.AuthoR, Jan 28, 2008.

1. K.AuthoR

K.AuthoR New Member

Phone keeps dying, needs master reset

I got a q9m about three weeks ago, and so far, it's pretty much crashed on me 4 times. When I say crash, it randomly decides to lock up and I cannot turn it off without removing the battery, and when I re-insert it, it doesn't go past the Verizon Wireless screen. My only option is to do a master reset and lose all my contacts and appointments.

It's not very much of an issue since I sync everything important to the computer, but the fact that I have to reconfigure all my settings and custom ringtones and stuff is just annoying. Plus, I would hate for this to keep happening when I won't be near my computer for an extended time and won't be able to get my contacts back - as a matter of fact, it happened to me while I was at work tonight.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on or how I could prevent this from happening over and over? I'm considering taking it back to best buy and exchanging it for a different one.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

bring it back to verizon and get a new one
  3. K.AuthoR

K.AuthoR New Member

I thought about it, but I'd first like to try and see if it will last any longer if I don't apply any hacks to it.

The only ones I've used are the speed hack (changes the cache values) and the Pocket IE speedup hack (changes the max number of connections). I really don't see how either of those could possibly be related to a lack of functionality but I'll at least give it a shot.
  4. n99hockey

give it a shot
    alot of people use these hacks with out the problems you are having
    give it another day and see...if it craps out then return it...
    but you should be able to use the hacks and NOT have it crap out too...keep that in mind
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

several other Q9's have had the same/similar issue.

the "fix" was by doing 2 master resets.
    1. was during boot up, 2nd was after it booted up
  6. K.AuthoR

K.AuthoR New Member

By "fix" you mean the people that have done this don't have that problem anymore?
  7. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

not yet.....this problem just started showing up recently here. Had maybe 10-15 so far I guess.

Check your available memory, the lucky ones had a memory file size issue and it caused them to lock and freeze at will
  8. MSUPope

MSUPope New Member

Q9 Stuck on Verizon Screen

My Q9 is froze up and stuck on the Verizon Screen too. How did you master reset it? I tried holding the center button on the D Pad while turning it on but it didnt work. any other ideas?

9. n99hockey

on a q9 i think its the z and e buttons
  10. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

yep ^

..should you wish to give the "fix" a try, backup all data then..

1 press and hold "e" + "z" while turning the Q9 on, when prompted hit yes to do the reset.

2 after the reset and Q starts up go to start ) system tools ) Master reset follow prompts