Phone Died

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by jtothero, Feb 27, 2008.

1. jtothero

jtothero New Member

Phone Died

I've only had my Q9m for a week and tonight it just stopped working. I hit the red multimedia button and I got an error message. Then the screen froze up. I couldn't do anything, I tried to reboot it but it didn't work. So I took the battery out and put it back in, but now all I get is a black screen that says "Verizon Wireless".

What should I do?
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

how much battery was left when it died? may need to charge for a bit
  3. jtothero

jtothero New Member

Definitely more than half. There was some error message that popped up before it froze.
  4. cheri

cheri Active Member

i dont know the method of master resetting a Qm but i had experienced that problem i would do a master reset. I know you can do it manually on the Q1. I bet its postd here somewhere.
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

may let it sit in time out before nuking it. let it charge for a while with it turned off
  6. jtothero

jtothero New Member

I charged it all night and it still only comes to the Veriszon Wireless screen. I've tried to do the various hard resets that I've read for the Q9m, but none of them have done anything.
  7. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

Sounds like you have just experienced what I like to call the "Perfect Storm" a combination of events that has drained the battery into a coma. Try using a car charger if you have one, sometimes the battery drains soo much that it won't accept a charge from a reg. wall charger, this happened to me with the old Q, hasn't happened to me with the Q9M. I understand the situation. If the phone is new than just go back to verizon to get a new one. these phones will do some crazy things when the battery drains. I would definatly consider buying an extra battery. Also the battery indicator will lie to you so you can't alway's trust that either.
  8. jtothero

jtothero New Member

I'm going to take it back to the verizon store and see what they can do. I seriously doubt it's the battery. I am amazing at keeping my battery charged. It's never off the charger for more than 12 hours and it rarely goes below halfway charged. I just wish the reset techniques would work.
  9. jtothero

jtothero New Member

Verizon people had no idea what was wrong with it. Got a new one. Thanks to those who tried to help!
  10. jtothero

jtothero New Member

My BRAND NEW phone just did the exact same thing again tonight. Looks like I'll be making another trip to the Verizon store to trade in this phone for something else. I'm not even going to take a replacement, I don't need to replace my phone weekly.
  11. jmaynard1986

jmaynard1986 New Member

Mine did the same.... Ive been on my 3rd now for about 2 wks or so and so far so good...

I guess the saying "3rd times a charm" holds true :laugh2:
  12. jtothero

jtothero New Member

So the guy at the store said the problem is that I wasn't closing all my applications so the phone just got fried. he showed me how to do that and now I shouldn't have the problem anymore. I could have certainly used that info when I bought the phone, jeez!
  13. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

I personally wouldn't listen to the guy at the store, there are many users here that can testify, that they do not close applications and they don't have any problems. I personally close applications because I'm in the habit of doing so, however if you pay close attention to your task manager you will notice that applications will close themselves when resources are need to open other applications. The habit of closing apps certainly can't hurt the device and may or may not help save on battery life & system resources but that IMO is not what was giving you problems, the answer is more than likely a combination of several things.

14. I agree with Coop.
  15. poseidon7902

poseidon7902 New Member

I had two phones do this to me in the first week that I had it. Verizon said it has nothing to do with the apps open, or anything else, it just fries.

Now for my personal observation . Each time my phone did it to me, it was right after using a different charger. I have a charger at the house and one in my office. I keep the phone on the office one during the week and on the weekend used my home charger. Both times my phone did this, it was right after I had put it on my home charger on the weekend. I've now had this phone for two weeks and not a single issue like before. I don't know for sure if it was the charger, but if I was you, I'd take my charger back to the store and have them swap it out.
  16. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Was it a Motorola charger or third party that you think may have fried your Q?
  17. I used a third party charger from staples that used to work with my treo (it had multiple adapters) took longer to charge, but no issues.
    Connected it to the q and wouldn't charge, saying it was not compatible. Had to reset the phone and count my blessings. All is well now.
  18. poseidon7902

poseidon7902 New Member

It was a verizon charger. At least the red display that lit up said verizon, so whoever Verizon uses to spam their name on, that's who the maker was.
  19. I really like how the new chargers interfere with radio reception.....That really is an added feature that verizon threw in for free.....
  20. oresteez

oresteez New Member

i noticed you cant even use your charger that you might have had with a different verizon phone with the q9m...

i was charging my q with my razr charger (same connector) and my phone still died..apparently it was not getting a good charge..