PDAnet and verizon

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by mwp98223, Jan 25, 2007.

1. mwp98223

mwp98223 New Member

PDAnet and verizon

I installed a trial version of PDAnet and using it with my laptop and Q. This works well. Other then possible tension with the TOS with the "unlimited" plan, assuming I'm not using a constant tether, should this work with Verizon without paying the additional $15 per month charge? I'm not planning on any heavy use or major streaming, just the occasional use for my laptop when there is no wifi available.
  2. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

There has been a lot of discussion about this in other
    threads. I think most will tell you that you are perfectly fine to do this. I use PDANet as well.
  3. mwp98223

mwp98223 New Member

PDAnet won't kill

For some reason I am unable to "kill" PDAnet. It is listed in the task manager and will not shut down. I'm also having trouble with the phone refusing to automatically wireless sync. Could these be connected issues?
  4. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

When you disconnected the phone from your PC did you pull the USB wire from your phone without disconnecting PDAnet through your PC first? I had the same problem and I think this was the reason. Kind of dumb you can't shut it down through task manager though. Give it a try and let me know.
  5. mwp98223

mwp98223 New Member

This is possible. I thought I shut it down on the computer first, but I will check this. Would you suggest just plugging the phone back in, restarting PDANet and then shutting down again?

BTW...I figured out the wireless sync issue and it was not related to PDAnet
  6. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Yeah that is what I did. Not totally sure that was the reason but its worth a shot.
  7. mwp98223

mwp98223 New Member

I did that. Interesting, I'm not sure it is PDAnet "running". The taskmanager showes it as PDANet.exe and I can't "kill" it.
  8. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

That is interesting. On your home screen do you have two arrows up near your battery level display?
  9. mwp98223

mwp98223 New Member

YES. Not the "radio tower" for signal strentgh.
  10. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Okay, just turn your phone off and then back on. It should reset this.
  11. mwp98223

mwp98223 New Member

Yes, and no. I restarted the phone. At first I saw the radio tower, quickly replaced by the arrows. Went to task manager and saw PDAnet running. I was able to "kill" it this time (left taskmanager). However, I still see the arrows, not the tower.
  12. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Try going into your programs and select PDAnet and select Stop PDANet.
  13. mwp98223

mwp98223 New Member

It has "stopped" don't know how or why.
  14. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

15. mwp98223

mwp98223 New Member

This is interesting, especially the second link. I sort of figured this out today experimenting on my own. I noticed that wireless sync was probably what kept the arrows there. Since I had it set to push/pull constantly, the Q was keeping the connection open ready for data to transfer.

I'm experimenting with timed interval log ons instead. Interesting question, does it take more power to reestablish the connection and transfer data, then it does to create the connection and just transfer? See my other post here about battery life I posted today.
  16. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Yes that is interesting. I only sync my calendar right now so I manually sync about once a day. I may start using push email, if my work decides to help me out with the costs of the phone otherwise I rather not be bothered by constant email on my phone.