Ozone call quality question

Discussion in 'HTC Snap | Ozone' started by gsf4726, Jul 21, 2009.

1. gsf4726

gsf4726 New Member

Ozone call quality question

Hi all. I'm glad to see a dedicated Ozone thread here as I just picked one up last week...

Anyway, I have a question about the call quality I'm getting. First off, I'm able to hear the person on the other end very clear and loud. The thing that I notice is that, during a call, it sounds a bit like my voice is coming back through the earpiece a tiny bit. So when I hold the phone to my ear and talk, it sounds like I'm in a bathroom. I know that some older land line phones used to do this (called it sidetone I think). I was wondering if anyone else can confirm this with their Ozone, and if it's just something I have to get used to.

I don't think it's affecting how I sound to the person on the other end. It's just different that what I'm used to. I'm coming from an i607 (BJ).

Other than that, I've been very pleased with this phone, considering the price.
  2. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

I have not noticed this on my Ozone yet, but I have had this happen before with a cell phone. I think it just happens when you get a bad connection or something because it has happened to me at random times over the years and I have had many different types of phones....

Hope this helps!
  3. gsf4726

gsf4726 New Member

Thanks for the reply J.K. I want to add that what I'm describing happens everytime, all the time. It's definitely not as bad as the echo you hear during a random bad connections. It's really not an echo at all, because there is no delay. It's really just like I hear my own voice out of the speaker... I guess it a little hard to explain... or maybe I'm crazy :\
    I appreciate the help.
  4. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

Hmm... I would definitely take it to a Verizon store and see if they can help or replace it cuz that doesn't sound right at all.
  5. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Hey gsf, did you take your phone back? Because I got a good one about call quality. I received my Ozone yesterday, charged it and when I powered it on the first time, it never got a cell signal. It was always alternating between "Searching" and "No Service" before trying to activate it. I thought it was odd, but thought maybe that was an Ozone thing and wouldn't grab a signal until activated, since the getting started guide said on the first power up it would walk me through activating (which it didn't)so I tried out the WiFi and GPS programs and such. All that worked just fine.

Then today when I tried to activate it by calling the number on the yellow bordered sheet and giving my order #, etc. (I got it free on my NE2), it still wouldn't get a signal. Mind you on my Nap, I had full bars, the EV icon, everything. Then after spending a bunch of time with VZW in the hot sun on a payphone, I realized that every single phone I've ever had, even the Nap would still show something even before activating, whether "Roaming", "Extended Network", etc.

Long story short, my Ozone has no call quality at all, and will be going back.
  6. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

Hmmm...bummer! The call quality on this phone seems quite good actually, though I'd still give the edge to the Nap in general. I'll have to do a side by side RSSI and Ec/IO comparison to see how they compare on RF.

I haven't really used it much as a phone since I've had it, but the few calls I have made sounded good. The Nap has louder Speakerphone and Ring volume.

##778 send gets you to the programing menu for manual programming and ##3424 send puts it into DM Mode for modem access with QXDM or QPST for Service Programming and writing PRLs.
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Well, I've got a bit of an update. After spending some time with VZW CS tonight, before they were willing to replace it, I was told to do a Master Reset. After that was done, now I've got signal, full bars, etc. However if I try to dial anything (like access the menu CellZealot mentioned) I am given only the option to activate the phone. Which is cool, but I live in an "Extended Area" and OTA doesn't work for me here (I've gotta go about 40 miles one way). I've got the 1x and roaming triangle so now the phone is grabbing cell towers.

So tomorrow morning before work, I guess I'll be making the trip and doing the OTA activation and selecting opt 3 as the tech told me that would finish her off.

As I told them, who woulda thunk one would have to do a Master reset to a brand new phone. I thought we only had to do that after flashing, lol.
  8. igedoc

igedoc New Member

I've had a similar problem with a windows mobile phone in the past and now I got into a habit of doing the master reset with all new phones before activating.
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

The first Ozone in hand refused to accept the username and password to dial the internet. I could call but not get to the net. CS and I tried everything including a master reset and MSL manual programming.

BTW to get to the MSL press Send ##778# Send password 000000 Don't F anything up in there.

I swapped it to another Ozone and it programmed perfectly. VZW was very good about it all.
  10. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Yeah, the first CS rep I had on the phone walked me through that menu, but she was not very knowledgable about all the prompt there. Long story short there for me was that everything was already set right. I just wish she would have told me to do the MR first.

Now I've got my Ozone fully running and activated and I haven't yet had any call quality problems.
  11. gsf4726

gsf4726 New Member

Just wanted to follow-up on my original post. Actually there's not much to follow-up with, because I did not return it. My wife got the same phone, and hers sounds the same to me, so I didn't think going back to Verizon would be worth it. Besides that, I've actually gotten used to the sound, and don't really notice it anymore. Otherwise, still enjoying the Ozone!