OZ Instant Messaging

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by stine, Dec 2, 2007.

1. stine

stine New Member

OZ Instant Messaging

Does sprint include this in the data plan or text messaging plan? When installing it was not clear under which section is it billed.

Thanks.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

instant messaging programs are going to use data
    so its going to come out of the data plan
  3. stine

stine New Member

4. n99hockey

probably to use the program...but the actual data should be covered by your data plan

you can probably contact sprint and they might be able to tell you
    but it seems its like an added service kind of like how with verizon you can get extra things with 'get it now' but they cost a monthly charge
  5. n99hockey

with that being said why not get another IM program that has either a 1 time fee or is free and use the data plan that you are already paying for...
    why shell out an extra 2.99 a month?
  6. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

7. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I had a conversation with someone here last week about this issue. I believe you are charged one text to initiate a conversation, and then straight data for the balance of the conversation. This was verified in my Usage Details online at sprint.com. I've gotten my first bill, and it did not reflect any extra charges to use the OZ IM client. I have a SERO 500 plan.
  8. Dr.Snyder

Dr.Snyder New Member

this still doesn't answer the question if we get charged a monthly licensing fee to use their proprietary "messaging" software. anyone have the low down on that?
  9. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

Does anyone find that IMing with the default IM app (Oz) that their messages are delayed? Try signing on from a computer under a different screen name and IMing yourself. The delay is anywhere from 5-45 seconds in my experience. Sometimes messages just go into a black hole and the other party never sees them, nor does the sender see an error message. That makes for some cumbersome conversations..

Is the delay because all IMs are sent via SMS? I read on the forums that IMs were SMS'd when the app ran in the background, but once you were running it realtime, then messages were sent directly over the net to AIM. I don't believe this is true, it seems like all IMs are SMS'd, why else would there be such delays?
  10. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

I use the Oz client as well; have been since nov. 26th (when i started using my phone). i have IM'ed A LOT since then. Under my usage details on the sprint site, it shows only 8 text messages used. if it was counting each IM message, it would be much much higher than that.
  11. stine

stine New Member

Are those 8 text messages the conversations you initiated? Or were they regular text messages and you are saying that texting is not part of the deal with OZ messaging.
  12. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

regular text messages (SMS).

now, there is one thing i'm testing on my own: yesterday i didn't do any texting. I did, however, get 2 notifications about an incoming IM (i switched away from the Oz client and was browsing in IE). If my text messaging count goes up by that much, then i will know that those notifications are counting towards text. I will report on my findings.
  13. Brudarik

Brudarik New Member

I did some digging around, and it looks like the IM's using the IM program for AIM, MSN, and Yahoo all use either the text or the data package. I know I've got unlimited text and data a month on my plan, and so far nothing out of the ordinary is showing up on my sprint page online.

It looks like another program to use and then if you don't have the option for text or data that's where they get you.
  14. stine

stine New Member

the delay maybe because of the OZ gateway that sprint probably controls.
  15. pjsnyc

pjsnyc New Member

Was trying to dig a bit more into how OZ works and found this [SIZE=-1]

Does this mean OZ is using a combination of SMS as well as DATA to log in (and 'stay' logged in/always-on)? If so, does this improve battery life (I would assume yes)? If thats the case, then I definitely wouldnt mind slight lags on message delivery.
    [/SIZE]
  16. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

Yeah I guess it's not SMS. I'm still not sure why there is a delay. I've since switched to the free OctroTalk and all IMs are instantaneous (however, like all data apps, you do get signed off when a call comes in, Oz app has a nice advantage there with no disruption).
  17. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

Wait, I thought Oz was free! DANGIT!

And no, it surely doesn't use text messages.
  18. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

Oz is free. OctroTalk became free as well, that's why I mentioned it. Every other IM client charges something.
  19. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

It doesn't use text msgs for each IM sent, but it does take one txt msg to initiate a conversation. However, once a conversation is initiated, it's straight data usage. Also, I believe that when the program is running in the background, each IM received counts as a text msg (I haveln't verified this myself, but I recall someone mentioning this earlier in the post).
  20. BIGD

BIGD New Member

there is nothing free ;)