Overnight Charging?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Paul G, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Paul G

Paul G New Member

Overnight Charging?

My son got a new phone at Verizon tonight, and we were both warned against overnight charging...salesperson (who actually knew as much as I did for a change) said don't charge even my Q9 overnight.
    Battery debates have gone on for years. Lithium Ion batteries actually like to be topped off...or held at full charge...not like old batteries where memory effect was a concern.
    I can only guess that perhaps heat is the reason?
    Anyway...I've charged my Lithium Ion batteries overnight since they started being used, without issue.
    Appreciate you thoughts and comments.
    Thanks.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i have had my Q since Feb and have charged it every single night while i sleep without a problem
  3. Paul G

Paul G New Member

...guess Sony didn't make that battery? :tounge:
    (couldn't resist)
  4. regression

regression New Member

Same here, I have had my Q since March and charge it every night, no problems.
  5. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

If you do a forum search you wil l see an extensive post I had about Li-Ion batts and ok to charge and top off. Actually damages batteries if they hit 0, and if you store them store @ 40% of a full charge.

So salesman was wrong...you are safe.

**posted from my Q
  6. TJM

TJM New Member

I've always charged overnight but only when I have one bar of battery left. I try never to charge without it being one or less bars
  7. mbrevard

mbrevard New Member

In my info packet there was something about not to worry about extended charging. I can not locate it right now to repeat verbatim.
  8. K3SRK

K3SRK New Member

You don't have to worry about overcharging or exploding if you're doing a 'normal' charge routine.

Days and days on the charger may cause it to get just hot enough to affect it but everyday on-off won't hurt anything.
  9. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Some salesmen will tell you that with phones and laptops as they are thinking they are like the old days when they had dumb chargers which could overcharge the NiCad or NiMH batteries used at the time. Lithium Ion require a smart charger so they shut off the charge when its complete so no worry about overnight.
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

darnit... it was one of those nights yesterday and i forgot to plug it in, woke up and still had 75%. it's currently charging btw since i just had to sync.

empty spare still right here on my desk.. dragging my feet buying the cradle.
  11. mwitzah

mwitzah New Member

really? no problems from overnight charging? my Q9m is the result of poor overall performance by my original Q (battery performance & crashing/freezing issues). when i'd bring my old Q in to get fixed i'd be repeatedly told I was overcharging by keeping it plugged in overnight. they said overcharging changed th battery's cell composition. since getting the Q9m i'm not charging til the battery's dead. from what I see here not only is overnight charging ok but waiting to recharge like i'm now doing is bad.

is that really the deal? given my past experiences i'd appreciate specific confirmation (if anyone is willing to give it!)
  12. gmardre

gmardre New Member

It stops charging when the battery is fully charged, no? What do they think you're gonna do...sit there and watch it charge--ready to unplug it when it dings?

It is interesting, though, I JUST noticed on my car charger that there is a little white tag hooked to it that says average charge time is 3-3.5 minutes.......

gm
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

now he tells me this... sjeez man :}