Outlook email app

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Hiram, Dec 4, 2010.

1. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

No problem!
  2. Hiram

Hiram Member

OK, ninjaap ... here's the latest

1. Aol mail arrives in gmail/pc inbox ... identified as AOL, and even has a folder on the left. Gmail arrived as usual. :)
    2. Aol mail arrives to my Gmail/Phone. ... I know that it's to aol only if sender has me as an address (xxx@aol) and not my name. I guess I can deal with that, since I know what is what, and I sill have gmail desktop and Outlook desktop if I need to verify. ;)
    3. NOW THEN: gmail arrives at Outlook 2010 desktop as usual (gmail folder). BUT: aol mail goes to both the aol and gmail folders. So aol is duplicated. :( Any suggestions.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Remove the AOL account from Outlook 2010 on the PC, then it will come in to Gmail only.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

3. Should be an easy fix: Gmail on PC/settings/accounts & imports/check mail using POP3/edit info[xxx.aol.com]/leave a copy of retrieved messages on server[uncheck]

Or... do it the easier way, do what hockey ^^ said :)
  5. Hiram

Hiram Member

Hockey a bit drastic for now, since I have both accounts separate and configured with rules/folders that segregate them by topic. This helps prioritize and minister. On the other hand (Plan B), I could create the aol rules/folders in gmail folder and aol mail should go to each. I may even add an identifier to the name. ;)

Ninjaap: I followed your suggestion, but messages are still duplicated. Any more suggestions, or do you think it's gonna be Hockey plan B? :)
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Here's why it shows up on both folders:

Gmail "pulls" mail from AOL at an interval, which is not set in stone. It seems to adjust pull intervals depending on how much mail you get. In other words, Gmail learns as it goes, and the more mail it gets from AOL the closer the interval becomes, because it's anticipating your needs. Now, AOL mail will not be deleted from AOL server until Gmail pulls them. So yes it shows up in AOL, but it's temporary.

So it's up to you to go with plan B....
    Or... you can go with plan C: do not use Outlook and just set up Gmail. ;)

EDIT: I just realized the frightful similarities between Gmail and Skynet :eek:
  7. Hiram

Hiram Member

I get what you say, but the aol @ the gmail/pc inbox is AOK, as is the aol@outlook/phone (gmail) inbox. It's in my Outlook 2010/desktop inbox that it is duplicated. It enters in the @aol.com inbox and in the @gmail.com inbox, too.

So, gmail inbox and WP7 are good. It saves a tile on the WP7 (for more "stuff") and I don't have to switch between gmail and aol tiles. The issue is Outlook desktop. :confused:

Never heard of skynet. Are the similarities good or bad?
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I wish I could help you with Outlook on desktop but I don't use it. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I'm guessing, but I think Outlook on desktop does not actually mirror email servers, but only pulls new emails.

Yeah, forget about the Skynet comment... :(
  9. Hiram

Hiram Member

The truth be told, you've been a great help, and I'll look for your insight anytime I have some input here.
    I'll see what happens with the Outlook issue, and maybe I'll try plan B above.

For practical reasons, I'm glad I consolidated gmail and aol under one tile on the WP7. I owe that to you. It may sound corny or childish, :oops: but I'm glad it's the Outlook tab, even though it's not really one. (Micrsoft must fix the whole outlook, sync, exchange, web app .... issue!)

If push come to shove, I'll go back to two separate tiles: gmail/aol ... no outlook.

I wish you, your family, and loved ones a Merry Christmas.

Jesus loves you and I'll be praying for you. (God knows who ninjaap is! :D)
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You're very welcome! Please update this thread with an Outlook solution, if you come up with one, as I'm sure there will be others in a similar situation that will read this thread.

Merry Christmas and good luck.
  11. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

I hear ya, it can be drastic.
    Although I would then recommend ninjaap's suggestion of not using Outlook all together. For my personal mail I dumped Outlook a long time ago in favor of Gmail. I have all my mail forwarded to Gmail, and have it set to send mail from the account it was sent to. So I can reply from @gmail.com or @personal mail.com depending which address the sender addresses. And rather than keeping another program running (Outlook) I just keep my browser open, chances are you have IE, Chrome, Firefox or Safari open anyways.

You can very easily create filters and rules within Gmail.
    Try a few things out and see what works best for you!