Outlook email app

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Hiram, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Hiram

Hiram Member

I don't know why I hadn't asked before, but is there an outlook app for the windows phone? I think I've seen the tile on commercials.

EDITED: Oops! Big blooper. :oops: I found where to set up Outlook on the phone (settings>email & accounts>add an account>Outlook).

Questions: I have various email accounts set up on my Outlook 2010 on my PC (Gmail. Aol, etc.). Can I set them up all under Outlook on the phone? If yes, will they be identified/separated or will they all show up together?

Thanks
  2. Hiram

Hiram Member

There have been 64 views and no replies. :oops:My fault, so I'll re-word.

Currently, I have a gmail and an aol email set up. They show on separate tiles on the Focus. If I set them both up on the Outlook app on the phone, will they both sync to phone, and if yes, will they be divided by account or lumped all together?:confused:

Has anyone set up their Outlook app on phone and can enlighten me?

Thanks
  3. Patrick Sullivan

Patrick Sullivan New Member

As far as I know this release of WP7 has no support for syncing with Outlook unless you are using a corporate Exchange server. However, you can use the Outlook to Windows Live connector (or the equivalent gmail connector) to get your contacts and calendar to sync with the phone.
  4. Hiram

Hiram Member

Thanks Patrick.

Actually, I'm using Companion Link to sync contacts and calendar to Focus. It works great. (no Live, Exchange, etc.)

This issue is another one. When I receive emails, they appear in each of the respective tiles I have on the phone (gmail, aol). What I want to know, is, if I setup the Outlook app, will I receive them here, and will they be separated by account? Hopefully I've made myself clear.

Regards.
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

You will have multiple Outlook accounts each represented by it's own tile.
  6. Hiram

Hiram Member

Thanks kareljack:

I entered my email and address into the Outlook setup, and it comes back asking me to check information. It also asks for a "domain"??? :confused:

Can you help?
  7. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

If it's a Gmail addy, then Google for the instructions to set up Gmail active sync on windows mobile 6.1 and use the same server and domain settings
  8. Hiram

Hiram Member

Thanks. I'll check it out.
  9. Hiram

Hiram Member

Can't get this solved. :mad: I want to set up the Outlook app. I have a gmail address and an aol address. Does anyone have it set up, and can tell me what the server and domain names are for each?:(

Thanks.
  10. Hiram

Hiram Member

UPDATE: I was able to set up gmail in the Outlook Hub.:) (server: m.google.com ... domain: google) For aol, I finally found "m.mail.aol.com" and "aol". First, anyone know if this is correct? Second, now, when I try to sync aol, I get a message that says: "There is a problem with certificate for m.mail.aol.com".
    I'm frustrated. :confused: Any suggestions on solutions???
  11. xpistou

xpistou New Member

I think there is probably some confusion regarding the "Outlook" tile. When the tile says "Outlook" there really is no correlation between that and the actual Outlook desktop application. It's poorly named on the phone. It should be called "Exchange Mail" or something to that effect, because that is all that it really is. I would set up your Gmail on the phone using "Gmail" on the phone, and your AOL as an IMAP account. Setting it up through Outlook (cough Exchange) will be of no advantage to you, and you will likely sacrifice features of your email client using it.
  12. Hiram

Hiram Member

xpistou:

I really am not too techy, but you seem right. I did set up Gmail on the Outlook (cough Exchange) tile. Aol is currently as IMAP, and I think it'll stay that way. Windows needs to make the syncing of contacts and calendars from Outlook desktop easier. I use Companion Link. Pretty good.

Thanks
  13. xpistou

xpistou New Member

I agree. I want the whole Outlook experience myself as well. I use a Hotmail address (which I use in Outlook through Outlook Connector), and Windows Phone email is missing simple functionality that is available in Outlook and in the Hotmail internet client, specifically flagging messages. I'm thinking Microsoft will add more functionality as the phone software progresses, at least I'm hoping so.
  14. Hiram

Hiram Member

I'm hoping that as popularity grows and word gets around, Windows will hear the "people" and fix a number of minor issues. We'll wait. ;)
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Why not set your Gmail account to pull AOL mail?
  16. Hiram

Hiram Member

Please enlighten me!!! ;)
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Sure!

Go to settings/accounts and import/check mail using POP3/add POP3 email account.
    Follow directions on screen and your done.

Your AOL emails will show up in your Gmail's inbox, which in turn, both accounts will show up in Outlook.

But, why even use Companion Link at this point? Gmail is capable of pulling any POP3 account. I have my AOL, Yahoo and Live accounts all going to Gmail. So, I only have to set up Gmail in my phone. Looks cleaner and more organized. Yes, we all have to set up Live on the phone, but I just turn off sync for emails, so it doesn't show up on the phone; just contacts.
  18. Hiram

Hiram Member

Sounds good, but forgive my ignorance :oops: ...

1. If I add AOL to gmail (via the desktop settings), a) my Aol will show up in my gmail inbox/pc? ... b) my Aol will show up in my gmail inbox/phone? ... c) will they be all together (not identified as gmail or aol) ... and finally, will my Gmail and Aol still be separate in my Outlook 2010 desktop program, as it is and should be? (I mainly use gmail for personal, and aol for ministry and others.)
    2. I use Companion Link to sync my Outlook (desktop) calendar and contacts with WP7.
    You're being a great help ninjaap. ;)
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

a) yes
    b) yes
    c) you will be given the option to label as aol
    d) I believe it will show in both Gmail and AOL, unless you specify it not show up in AOL. But you can set Gmail to reply to AOL labeled emails as an AOL user.

You will get a better understanding if you go through the process I have given above. Gmail makes it easy.
  20. Hiram

Hiram Member

You are good. :cool: I'll get back as soon as I get a chance to setup and test.

Thanks a bunch.;)