Our own CHome Configurator thread

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by kareljack, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

My editor will not let me delete :HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Security/CHome/CWindowsLive/DefaultSettings/Disabled

I get an access denied error. Also the string is slightly different: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Security/CHome/DefaultSettings/CWindowsLive/Disabled

any ideas?
  2. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Is it just me or do you have to start CHome and make the panels you created visible again after everytime you restart the phone?

I made one panel and everytime I restart the phone I have to go thru the process of making it visible. Is this the norm or am I encountering some sort of issue here??
  3. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

Just tested it again. I have quite a few 'test panels' to clean up now!! (All mexiken's fault for leading us up the yellow brick phone!! :wink:)

But, panels are visible and stick. I don't need to do anything.

Once you have your panel/pages all set up, make sure you 'Show' the panel, position it where you want it and then hit Menu>Exit>Yes on 'Save the panel'. Each time you make any changes in CHome you need to run through this 'Exit' process.

:2cool: R J
  4. JPOnion

JPOnion New Member

This program is sweet, I spent a fair amount of time working with it last night and came up with what I thought was unique but looks to be close to what other people have. Still, I'm happy with it and will expand on it as needed (or if anybody has any cool ideas). Basically, I've got the following panes:

- Time (with NRG Chrome weather)
    - Missed calls / texts / etc pane
    - Appointments
    - 5 day weather forcast
    - Music (Might take this off if I don't add any soon)
    - Settings
    - System Tools (A custom one that has frequently used tools, like file manager, task manager, flashlight, etc)
    - My Programs (a custom one that has frequently used programs, like gnuboy, PocketNES, Opera, LiveSearch, etc)

mbrown15, I like the idea of that contact pane. How did you get it so their texts get displayed and it has their pictures? Or is it something simple enough to figure out when I actually try to make it...
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I save everytime I edit the panel....

I just restarted my phone after confirming my test panel was still there..and it was still there after the restart. Maybe it only happens when the restart is initiated by the system after I delete a program??
    I am having problems with Seven push mail and I tried uninstall/reinstall a few times. After the uninstall I got the "some items could not be uninstalled, please restart to complete the process" and the phone rebooted itself. That's when I noticed my panel was gone and I had to go make it visible again.

Another question, I can only edit the panels with the asterisk next to them??? Seems like there are a couple there that are untouchable as far as adding pages to them.

I also need to learn the numbers associated with some of the system icons. One of the things I did with my test panel was to add a page for the Task Manager app and the system icon was more appealing than anything that came with Chome or iconpack 1.4. I had to look at the settings panel to get the number associated with that icon.
    It's also a pain in the butt to change the icon after you created the page.
  6. reckoningday

reckoningday New Member

Mine already has the texts and I'm pretty sure if I put a pic it will display beside it, and it already shows the text on the pane.
  7. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

You can add the picture in your contacts list.

Then create a panel (call it what you like) and use the "contact dialer" template to create the pages.
  8. JPOnion

JPOnion New Member

Cool, thanks guys. For some reason I read the original post as meaning you get the lastest text message from them displayed next to their name, but now having actually gotten a text I see it's in the default contact info panel just under the clock (by default) :tounge:

OK, now I've got a new pane: A contact one. Sweet!

EDIT: A bit of the advice for people like me that sometime overlook the obvious...when adding a picture to somebody's contact info, take it with a small camera resolution, not a large one. It'll make the contact panel go slow as it's loading up a much-larger-than-needs-to-be image.
  9. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Is 300X300 too large? That's the resolution I used for Photo Contacts Pro.
    I havent reinstalled it yet and I got my contacts back from Dashwire and the photos were imbedded in the contact info. When I made the panel it asked me if I wanted to extract and use the contact's photo and the extracted photo is stored in \My Documents\Contacts\.
    It's way too tiny for my tastes.
  10. JPOnion

JPOnion New Member

I initially attached a picture I took that was at 1600x1200 and thats what was going slow. I retook the picture at 320x240 and it was fine, so 300x300 should be a-ok.

Just to make sure, I took a picture at each of the 4 resolutions my phone seems to have, attached the picture to a contact and then checked the delay. Note that what I'm talking about is I have a panel for contacts, and in that panel about 9 people. If I try to scroll through the contacts as fast as I can, when I had a larger image attached to the person then when I scrolled to that person the screen hung for a split, but noticable, second.

320x240: no delay, this is what I'll set all these images to.
    640x480: a very slight delay, you can barely tell, but it's there
    1280x960: a relatively long delay
    1600x1200: large delay...too large imo

I'm pretty new to the whole smartphone scene, having just gotten this in the mail wednesday. My last phone was old enough the camera wasn't even worth using, pretty much had one game and could send calls...so, yeah, I guess in hindsight 1600x1200 could have been pretty obvious for everybody else. :)
  11. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Visually, does the size of the contact image on the panel increase in size as the resolution increases?
  12. JPOnion

JPOnion New Member

I didn't notice any. When I had the contact image set to 1600x1200 and attached it to the contact panel, it looked the same as when I had the 320x240.

Note that the images that come in the icon-pack are 60x60, so I believe whatever size image you set, it'll shrink it down to 60x60. Your 300x300 images might even be better than my 320x240 because it'll shrink evenly horizontally and vertically.
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

It should be shrinking because the time it takes for the processor to re-pack a 1600x1200 image is longer than a smaller one. The processor eats up compute cycles when doing this, so thats why you notice the lag.

It appears that 320x240 is around the border of noticeable clock cycles that the processor can render that photo. To us, it appears almost instantaneous around this resolution.
  14. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Well, this weekend is going to be devoted to planning my panels/pages. What groupings of applications work best etc etc, then I start hunting for free icons on the web.
    I wonder if the color of the transparent panels and the transparency level can be adjusted???? Hmmmm...

Ooooohhh.... I need a new signature icon now.
  15. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Can some one point me to the link for a weather app and detailed instructions on how to install it?
    I tried to install chome weather and I ended up having to do a Master Clear.
  16. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

NRG Weather mini seems to be the ticket:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=403343
  17. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

THANK YOU!!!
    Installation was easy.... far easier than the convoluted mess that was chome weather.
    The only thing that bugs me is that scrolling thru the home panels seems a bit sluggish. But I am enjoying this weather app.
  18. cyberillusion

cyberillusion New Member

Does anyone know how to configure the CMyPhotos panel? It seemed to work the first time I booted up after flashing 6.1 (grabbed all the pics I had on my SD card), but after booting the second time and ever since then, all it says is No Photos.

I've searched the registry, but that has been no help and I can't find any other information on it. I have not looked for a possible param in the xml or cpr files yet.
  19. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

That panel works for me after multiple reboots.
    Check the url associated with the panel and see if it is correct.
    Whoops, it seems that you can't edit that panel, so try creating your own photo panel then set the original to 'hide'.
  20. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

double post- sorry.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.