OT: bluetooth for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Bluetooth' started by Cyclone42, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Cyclone42

Cyclone42 New Member

OT: bluetooth for Windows XP

I have a Motorola S9 headset that is working more-or-less fine with my Moto Q. Now I'd like to use it with my XP-based laptop. I have a cheap bluetooth USB adapter that appears to work, but I can't get it to use the "headset profile". I did a google for "bluetooth headset windows xp" and got several articles about getting headsets to work with XP. Basically, the short story is that you need a "Widcomm" driver for the USB bluetooth adapter, because the standard Microsoft driver doesn't do anything fancy like headset profiles. I can't find a "Widcomm" driver for my cheap USB bluetooth adapter, though.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap USB bluetooth adapter that comes with a driver that supports headsets, and does not rely on the *** Microsoft driver.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Toshiba BT Stack

You are right, M$ BT Stack is pretty worthless. I have installed this on my compaq laptop and it works great with my Moto Headset (I forget the model):

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/bluetooth/?page=download

EDIT:
    Hmmmm... according to the FAQ's on that site, you can only use it for 30 days. Try looking for a non-trial one. My Kensington BT adpater came with a Toshiba BT stack.