Ordering a Focus from Amazon Wireless, SD Card not included.

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by ninjaap, Dec 7, 2010.

1. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

For reals??? I was under the impression that they all came with an 8GB card. Yeah it was a penny for the phone, but now I gotta go out and buy a "MS cerified" SD card. And seeing as some people are having problems with "MS certified" SD cards, I'm not a happy camper right now.

It's wierd, because even the Quickstart guide states how to install the SD card with "not included" in parenthesis. Did everyone get an SD card with their phones?
  2. bnk999

bnk999 New Member

The Focus has 8gb of included memory, the SD slot is for memory expansion (with some caveats.)
    ninjaap likes this.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Thanks for that info! I thought I got ripped off! Somehow from all the reading I did about this phone, I thought that the 8GB SD card was the internal memory and people were just replacing the SD card. Now I know better, that it is actually a flash memory of type.
  4. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

Were you really able to purchase the phone for a penny? I heard about this deal somewhere on the Internet the other day, but when I went to try to see if it was true it never showed up as $0.01 for price.
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yup. I got it for a penny from Amazon. No tax (depends what state you live in). Maybe it's over. I made the purchase last Friday (Dec 3, 2010). I even called AT&T and made sure that I was able to keep my unlimited data for $30. They noted my account and told me to call back 611 if my data plan changes. Got it today, sure enough my data plan changed. Just got off the phone and they assured me they are going to change it back. They just need a manager to override it. Instead of staying on the phone I told them to just text or email me once they have succesfully changed it back.
  6. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I had to deal with all that as well, however I was blaming the store I went to as they barely knew anything about the Windows Phone 7 anyway and were passing my Samsung Focus around like a toy. I called AT&T to make sure them telling me "yes you have to change your plan" was true, and as I figured it wasn't so I was happy they solved my problem directly and I sent a not-so-happy feedback survey about the store I went to.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You got that survey they sent through email too? LOL Yeah I didn't give the store I visited a very good feedback. Or more specifically the associate that helped me. I usually go into corp store first to check out the phones then order from Amazon, beacuse it's always cheaper. It was the first time I had held a WP7 phone and she was pretty amazed at the phone as I was playing around the menus and settings, like it was the first time she had seen it work. I mean she works there? What happened to all the training they supposedly got? Maybe she was new. I dunno. But she didn't leave a very good impression.
  8. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

For what it's worth, Sandisk 16gb class2 holding up great in both of our Focus's, couple weeks now with no issues.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Thanks for letting me know! But I'm a bit of a chicken shit. Especially from reading all the horror stories about the SD cards. I'll just wait for an update that addresses this particular issue.
  10. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

Judging from this guys post
    you might indeed want to wait.
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

12. bnk999

bnk999 New Member

Can't beat one penny for that phone. I thought I got a good deal with the buy one get one deal.
  13. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I purchased my Samsung Focus on Amazon Wireless on November 19 for $50 so I'm not complaining. Of course, if I would've known a few weeks later it would be a penny I would've had no problem waiting, but hey can't have it always the way you'd like.
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yeah price isn't everything. Right after I purchased my phone from Amazon, I found out Costco had it for $49. I would have rather bought it from Costco, because I know they are very good about exchanging items.
  15. mem30075

mem30075 New Member

yep, I got mine from Amazon as well (I'm a stockholder ;)) and they are typically pretty good to deal with.
  16. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

17. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I just received a coupon code for 20% OFF SanDisk memory cards on Fommy.com (link).
  18. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic New Member

Can someone comment on if the amazon penny deal is legit? I just ordered the phone on amazon, while it is still being sold for $199 at the ATT store. Just seems too good to be true... Only extra stipulation from amazon seems to be that you can't change your plan for the first 6 months - otherwise a hefty fine will be imposed.
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

It is. I got my phone off of Amazon for a penny. Been buying from them for years now. Amazon wireless has one of the best customer service IMO.
  20. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic New Member

Thanks for your swift reply. I was also wondering if swapping my new focus phone number with an existing ATT line (so I can keep the old number on the new focus) would somehow be viewed as "changing my phone plan" by amazon and somehow incur that huge penalty... My old phone doesn't have a data plan, so I would be tranferring the data plan from the new number onto my old one. Sorry if this sounds incoherent - I am kind of paranoid about violating some part of this confusing contract.