Opera on Sprint Q

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by The Drift, Nov 16, 2007.

1. The Drift

The Drift New Member

Opera on Sprint Q

So, Opera mini was a lifesaver on my Krzr. But now I need opera mobile on the Q. I D/L the trial and hated it. I couldn't use the address bar or anything. Pretty much couldn't use any of the tools built into it. The toolbar for it showed up above the regular softkeys etc. Just functionality wise it sucked. Is this because it's a trial? Is anyone using it on a Sprint Q? Is it worth paying for? Are there other options? And is there any point in me getting a browser besides IE at this point?
  2. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

The fact that you are using a sprint Q does not make a difference. Based on your experience, I am inclined to think you downloaded the wrong software, or something is wrong with your Q. You said you can not use the address bar - this is not normal. "The toolbar for it showed up above the regular softkeys" - what does this mean? Generally the softkeys are at the bottom on all WM5 standard software. To access the address bar in Opera Mobile, hit the action soft key and choose "Go to". The software is certainly worth paying for, because it is a real web browser with standards compatibility and modern features.
  3. GldnBear

GldnBear New Member

There are two versions of Opera available for the Q, mini and mobile. Personally, I use the mobile version. I think the navigation features are much more user friendly. Opera mobile is 24 dollars. Opera mini is free. You can do just about everything with mini as you can with the mobile version. Try them both to see if you think it is worth paying the money for the mobile version.

There are a number of different versions available for download at the Opera mobile site. Make sure you get the Smartphone version 8.65. The fact that you see the soft keys sounds like you downloaded the PPC version.

There is a new version of Opera Mini available for the Q. You need to install a JVM to run the Opera mini though. Follow the instructions in the attached link to install the Jbed and then you can install Opera mini.

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=2302&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more2302