Opera Mobile 9 (8.65 beta 2) browser...

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by extremum, Jun 2, 2007.

1. satchels

satchels New Member

This worked for me. I utilize my companies SSL VPN connection and open our very heavy network monitoring website, without any lockups.

Opera is now my default browser

BTW, I previously used this browser http://jataayu.net/ which is better than IE in my opinion but it does have https support yet. So I had to use IE for browsing to my bank.
  2. scruffy420

scruffy420 New Member

I decided to download and try Opera, everything downloaded fine. When I open the program it takes me to the homepage and lets me scroll up, down and click icons, but i cant type anything. I cant even get into the address bar. Not sure what could be wrong.
  3. GldnBear

GldnBear New Member

Address Bar

Hit the Action Button (Left Menu) and select Go To. This will give you the Address Bar.
  4. scruffy420

scruffy420 New Member

I have tried that, it just give a flash of the screen and im back to the same problem. I can click the links on the homepage but cant even type in the yahoo search box.
  5. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Are you certain you downloaded the Smartphone version? Sounds like you might have installed the PPC version. What is the name of the file you downloaded?
  6. scruffy420

scruffy420 New Member

Thats what the problem was Thanks I thought I checked for that.
  7. binder

binder New Member

as a weird update, i just got my Q today....i downloaded the opera and went to install it and it said "do you wish to overwrite the exsisting file named Opera" and i chose no then i searched for it...

my Q already has Opera 8.65 beta installed on it. i opened it right up and started using it without having to do any installs or anything.
  8. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

for all the newbs.. the file is located at \Application Data\Opera\
  9. Skilover

Skilover New Member

I have NEVER gotten 8.65 SMARTPHONE (yes, I've checked I have the sp version) to allow me to enter any data into the browser on my Q. For example, to do a Google search, I can't type into the search bar. This makes it worthless. To my knowledge, I'm the only person with the problem, on two different Q phones, one has no other third party software. Unless I'm missing something, this is very odd. I've posted on the Opera forum, and no one replies. When it installs or boots, I forget which, I get an error that it is'n't formatted for my screen size, but I presume that is a generic error. Obviously, it works on everyone else's Q. Pathetic, right?
  10. dribnus

dribnus New Member

I am FAR from an expert with the Q, but what I have found is this.....in order to type in a field such as Google Search field, you have to press the "action" button (middle) first. Then it will allow you to type into fields. This may or may not be related to your problem, but I thought I would share the info anyhow.
  11. Skilover

Skilover New Member

I very much appreciate your reply; I deleted the application in frustration, but I will now re-install it, and see if this turns out to be the case. In the IE browser, there is no need to press the "action" button to input data, and I've never seen a user manual for the Opera browser, but if this fixes things, then I'll be very grateful, and somewhat embarrassed. I was contemplating using the opera phone browser instead, but I presume the smartphone browser is more powerful, and would be the better choice, if I can make it work. And, perhaps this same issue would have surfaced on the phone browser as well.
    N
  12. dribnus

dribnus New Member

I tried the phone browser, but had some navigation issues with that. I do like the smartphone browser, especially for gmail, and multiple windows being open. I just haven't figured out how to download gmail attachments yet.
    Let us know how it works out for you.
  13. Skilover

Skilover New Member

Thank you! You were 100% RIGHT. I'm embarrassed to say, you can't imagine how much time I spent on figuring this out, re-installing, writing to the Opera forum, etc. It just never dawned on me to hit the "action" button before typing into an input box.
  14. miro

miro New Member

I tried this for about 3 minutes. After installation I just tried visit the first item on my imported favorites list. Instead of loading the mobile version of the site, Opera tried to pull down the full-browser version, and then locked my phone up completely about 75% through the page load process.

I've never had to pull the battery until today. Opera, this is an offense punishable by uninstallation.
    :wink:
  15. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Did you do the suggested "opera.ini set priority hack"? This must be done or you get lockups.
  16. daedelus

daedelus New Member

Beta expired

The beta for this software is expired and the regular version doesn't display properly on the Q... Has anyone been able to get this working again? I would much rather use the beta because it actually fills the whole screen. The released version cuts off about 50 pixels at the bottom and looks all screwy...
  17. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

You most likely installed the wrong one. Works fine on my Q.
  18. daedelus

daedelus New Member

Can you send me a link to the right one? That would be awesome because Opera is the only decent browser for this phone... Thanks
  19. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

I actually have been using this opera for about 2 days now and have had to pull the battery 3 times. Maybe its because I only have a 30day trial but that kinda aggrivating.
  20. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

I actually have been using this opera for about 2 days now and have had to pull the battery 3 times. Maybe its because I only have a 30day trial but thats kinda aggrivating.