Opera Mini

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by carlg, Apr 2, 2007.

1. carlg

carlg New Member

Opera Mini

Seeking advice. I recently tried installng the opera mini browser to my Q. I understand that the device supports this browser. First, I used the install method of using the q's browser and downloading directly to the device. I got an error message saying that the file couldnt be read by this device. Next, I tried the method inputting my phone no.,and recieving an SMS message containing a direct link. Well, I never recieved the message. Could someone in the community out there advise me on this? Or is the device even compatible?
    Thanks my friends
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

3. carlg

carlg New Member

Opera mini reply

RUDEBOY. Thanks for the quick reply on opera mini install. Loaded cab file version on the Q.The device verified the install was successful and complete. Went to the opera icon in the menu and clicked on it. Would not launch. Nothing, not even an error message. Did I do something wrong? Please advise me.
  4. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Trying the Opera, but it will not let me enter anything in "search" boxes. I tried to buy it, but it tells you to get some code by starting Opera, selecting "Options" then "Register", but there is no Options item to select. It does look like it would be fast and good, but I can't even purchase it, or try it to tell.

gm
  5. SimpleBinary

SimpleBinary New Member

I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about the Opera browser...how do you like it so far??
  6. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Ah! Just figured out that you have to press the button to "activate" the fill out portion. I liked the first one...a while back, that we were using. Liked it better than PIE. Really looking forward to the Fish, though. Of course, in true Microsoft fashion, by the time they release it, we will have an Apple OS to use and I will be done with them ( msft ) altogether.
  7. scottjb

scottjb New Member

@carlg,

Opera Mini and Opera for Mobile are two different products. Mini requires Java. A Java environment for WM5 Smartphone can be had from IBM. You have to register to download it.
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/wireless/weme/

Opera Mobile for WM5 Smartphone is a brand new beta just released today (it was available from Opera's ftp server over the weekend). That's the cab RB pointed you to.

I find Opera Mobile crashes my Q, so I stopped using it. It shows a lot of promise, but is not ready for primetime IMHO.

I have been using Opera Mini Basic version with IBM's J9 Java and it works well. Mini's Web pages are served up to your device by a proxy server making it very fast. Due to the proxy server, Opera Mobile, nor any standalone brwser, will ever perform as fast as Mini.

I download OM using TagTag's WAP emulator from my PC, then copy it over to my Q. From there, fire up Java and install. You get two files, a .jar and a .jad. Install the .jad.
  8. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

Question for scottjb: Almost 50% of the time when I load Opera Mini (java), it just disappears on me (crashes) and I have to reload it upon fetching the first page. What's weird though is that if I try again and reload the same page, it works fine and in fact I can have a very long browsing session with Opera.

This happened to me on the 700wx too, so it must be a common issue.
  9. scottjb

scottjb New Member

This happens to me too. I posted this on the Opera forum and they seem to think it's the Java environment acting up. Try this--I have no scientific data behind it, but it seems to work.
    Load Java and wait 30 seconds.
    Load Opera Mini and wait 30 seconds.
    Select a site to go to and the connection prompt should appear. Wait 30 seconds before saying "Yes."
    This usually will get me connected the first time.
  10. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

thanks, I'll try that!

BTW, get rid of the darn java connection prompt by going here to the "Disable Permission Pop-up" section:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1122324

Edit: Also go to the second post to find out how you can make a shortcut to open Opera/gmail etc from a single shortcut
  11. gmardre

gmardre New Member

The Opera Mobile works great for me. Faster than PIE. Never messes up my Q.

gm
  12. My-Q

My-Q New Member

How do you set a page as the homepage?
  13. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Try looking in \Application Data\Opera\opera.ini. There should be a home page entry in there.
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i believe he is using PIE..
  15. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Oops! :embarassed:
  16. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I have Opera installed to play with.
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

keep us posted how you like it..
  18. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Please do update us. I have found that the basic version works well on my Q, but the advanced version locks up my Q frequently.
  19. thebigh

thebigh New Member

I'm using Opera Mini 8.65 Beta and it is fantastic! It is FAST and so much more functional than PIE in every respect, and it seems rock solid so far. Too bad it expires June 1st! Not really interested in paying $24.
  20. jim9112

jim9112 New Member

i love it too way even shell out the money so far no crashes and its faster than IE. also much more options to tune the display to your liking. no problems viewing the polls now on this site. it is not by any means perfect but its a big step in the right direction