Opera Mini and the new Full Screen Midlet thingy

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by g-funkster, Oct 9, 2007.

1. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Very good work, thanks !! I was able fully opera mini as described in the OP...and i did it all from the comfort of my Q while on break at work.

the ony thing, however, is that altering the SELECTOR fie using fix.exe has to be done on a PC. would someone be so kind as to please post the 'fixed' selector for their Sprint moto Q?

thanks a ton in advace. once again, good job on the new midlet. oh yea, will this new platform replace the old JVM9 or whatever it is called that i used in the past?

thanks,
    Matt
    -SFMQ
  2. webcrush

webcrush New Member

I'm not sure you can share a selector.utf as there are generated values in it from the install.

I personally just edited the file with a hexeditor by hand, 1-2-3 easy. copy it back.
  3. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

ok. i thought there was an option to single out web images and view them....as well as be able to save them. is that option available here?
  4. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Ah, so it is! :gasp: I stand corrected. I never took the link to see it was a different JVM.
  5. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

6. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

Can anyone else confirm that the .lnk file on the first post does *not* work when *only* Opera Mini is installed? I'll update first post if necessary.
  7. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Not sure which one i downloaded (this post, or the treocentral post that's linked above) -- but whichever one I downloaded, it works flawlessly~!

IN addition, on the Q, i could not get fullscreen wo work. I tried the * key with and without the "alt" key being used... Any thoughts?

Matt!
  8. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

On the Q, as opposed to the 700wx, you have to hit * twice somewhat quickly for it to become Full-Full-Screen.
  9. webcrush

webcrush New Member

fyi, the other files in the appdb directory are in regards to installed apps, and are named after the jar alias (ie-s1_, etc).

I also found a hex editor for WM5 that you can edit the selector.utf file with

ps--thx for the gmail jad, looks nicer in full screen.
  10. ii Candor ii

ii Candor ii New Member

I really want to do this, but I'm confused. Would someone mind writing a detailed step by step explanation?
  11. WPerry66

WPerry66 New Member

Got it to work on my 9m, its great! Only problem is, I can't log-in to anything. Any site that requires a password comes back saying that it is incorrect. does it have something to do with the security?
  12. webcrush

webcrush New Member

I don't think so because I log into places without issue. I am using a standard Q, not the new one.
  13. WPerry66

WPerry66 New Member

Got it...

Just had to be reset I guess..
  14. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

i concur, I can log-in to sites just fine with it.
  15. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Hey all,

Do you guys have the Opera connection settings set at HTTP, or SOCKET? It seems that either one i choose, if i type in a url, the progress bar will just sit there for 30 seconds, THEN it will start to load at a decent speed... odd. PIE is working just fine...

Thanks,

Matt!
  16. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

I always have it on socket. There is a delay when using Opera, but 30 seconds seems way high every time, though it could happen at times.
  17. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Has anyone noticed how FAST the Mini is? Check your speeds with this browser.

gm
  18. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

FAST is almost an understatement...LOL :tounge:
    I am getting 2000 kbps on average with the dslreports.com/mspeed speed test. Those that are trying those '10X faster' or 'make the borwser fly' Hacks, just should see what fast 'really' is by trying out Opera Mini.
    Also love the zoom feature. Can't believe it's free. IMHO it's even better than Opera Mobile and there's no comparison over JB5.
  19. webcrush

webcrush New Member

If Opera Mobile had the zoom feature, I'd actually buy it. Seriously, its the best thing about OperaMini and they left it out of Mobile? What were they thinking. Its the best selling point.

As for the speed, I think the way it works is that Opera cache servers actually host you an image file of the url you requested, so the actualy speed experienced is from Opera's servers having a fat pipe and just serving you a small snippet of the results.
  20. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

I was wondering the same thing??? Although Opera Mobile isn't nearly as fast as Mini either.

If you are saying that the reason it is so fast is because it is actually only serving us a blur of the page instead of the actual page graphics itself...only one loophole to that theory, it loads that blur of the page instantly and then you can zoom right in instantly as well, and move around that page instantly also...all STILL in less time than either Opera Mobile or IE could load the full page.

It's just wayyyyyyyyyyyy faster, period. :wink: