Opera Mini and the new Full Screen Midlet thingy

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by g-funkster, Oct 9, 2007.

1. rbrainard

rbrainard New Member

ROFL... AHA!

I was using JBlend, not JBED... That'll do it.
  2. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I saw that in your earlier post, but I assumed it was just a typo. Should be an easy fix for you now that you'll be using Jbed.
  3. rbrainard

rbrainard New Member

Has anyone figured out how to do this!?
  4. jimbetts3

jimbetts3 New Member

Just new to trying to install Opera and I have been reading these posts all day. Finally tried and it took me awhile to get the fix.exe file onto my phone. I finally did but when I clicked on it, I was told it wasn't a valid Windows CE application. Any advice?
  5. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Fix.exe does not go on your phone. You need to put it in a folder on your PC, then copy over the selector file from your Q to that same folder on your PC. Then you run fix.exe on your PC, and it will create a new selector file to copy back to your Q.
  6. cheri

cheri Active Member

you need a java virtual machine to run Opera Mini. rainmakerrc posted a zip a few days ago in another thread,
  7. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

Opera mini allows you to synchronize your bookmarks with a free opera account. What you can probably do is download Opera for the desktop, import your bookmarks from IE or whatever, then synchronize that to your Opera account and then sync mini with the same credentials.

Know what I mean? ;)
  8. jimbetts3

jimbetts3 New Member

Thanks for the clarification. Now I can't seem to locate the folder \Windows\Appdb on my q which leaves me unable to find the selector file. Sorry for the simple questions, but sometimes what seems obvious to pros is a little elusive to amateurs. Thanks again.
  9. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

are you exploring you Q from your PC? Is the trouble just finding the Appsdb subfolder, or can you not even see the Windows folder on you Q at all? Make sure you are showing hidden files and folders on your PC.
  10. jimbetts3

jimbetts3 New Member

I am exploring the Q from my PC. I can see the Windows folder, but the only subfolder in Windows that starts with app is called appmgr. I also have all hidden files and folders visible.
  11. sulster

sulster Active Member

Kewl!

Okay, thanks to the OP for the full screen Java and thanks to everyone else for commenting/explaining. I'm really digging Opera Mini--anyone using the link.opera.com to get bookmarks over?

I might switch from Firefox to Opera so that will be even easier. Need to figure out how to get my (multiple) Google bookmarks into Opera first.

Finally, anybody fix that little graphical glitch, or is that just the price of Mini 4 on the Q?
  12. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member

I have a question, forgive me if it's been asked, but it's a long thread.

Is there any way to make Opera Mini the default browser to that it opens if I click on an email or sms message instead of Opera Mobile, which I have set to default now.

I guess the 2nd part of the question would be, if there is a way, can I easily revert it back to PIE or Opera Mobile later on if I don't want to use Opera Mini.
  13. TheDrizzle

TheDrizzle New Member

Does anyone know a way to change the icon of the shortcut? For example, I created a shortcut in jbed to access opera mini and another one to access the gmail app, but on my quick launch they both look like the "e" jbed icon, so I forget which is which. Is there a way to change the icon of a shortcut? Via google, I found this:
    http://oldsap.blogspot.com/2006/07/customising-icons-on-your-ppc-shortcut.html

but it uses this "resource editor" program that only works with Windows PocketPCs, not smartphones. However, if you knew the resource id it looks like the method described would work for changing the icon (near the bottom of the page). Am I on the right track here? Is this information already known and available somewhere?

Thanks.
  14. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

Big, BIG ups to user lovetz1 at another message board, we have a font fix!! Check out Opera Mini with Tahoma.ttf in the image below. MUCH nicer IMO. If anyone prefers another font after testing, do let me know.

How To:
    1. Copy Tahoma.ttf from your computer's C:\Windows\Font directory to some other temporary directory on your PC, like your desktop.

2. Rename it with an 'a' in front of it so it is alphabetically the first font. In this case, I renamed it to ahoma.tff

3. Copy it into your Q's \Windows directory and restart your Q.

[​IMG]
  15. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Nice font fix....i wonder why it works that way? it's much cleaner now...a titch more narrow would make it the best.

Also, now that 2 and 8 page up and down, i wish we could assign the left and right d-pad directions to actually move the cursor left and right...like PIE. That still messes me up.

Oh, and the Q's back hard button actually functioning as a back button would be great..

Posted from opera 4.1 on my Q9c,

Matt!
  16. crazykay

crazykay New Member

Just loaded 4.1 to my q and i will have to say this is pretty sweet.. After reading this extremly long thread i decided to go ahead and do it.. Anyone whos been running it a while have any issues i should know about?
  17. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

2 & 8 did page up and down in previous versions. What we need to get them to do is e & x.
  18. cheri

cheri Active Member

i have issues with email being blank .
    when i am most certain i thumbed an email.
  19. crazykay

crazykay New Member

Do you use this as your main browser?
  20. cheri

cheri Active Member

i would like to use it as my man browser but can t t due to the email issue.

works fine with myspace or EQ when i use it.
    just dont like thumbing emails that turn up blank lol

otherwise its wonderful for me...