Opera Mini and the new Full Screen Midlet thingy

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by g-funkster, Oct 9, 2007.

1. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

Opera Mini and the new Full Screen Midlet thingy

Hai thar

Check out the screenshots below, as you can see, you can now run Opera Mini in full screen, as in, without the softkeys at the bottom and the signal-o-meter at the top.

[​IMG]

Just tried this out on the Q, and the instructions are the same as those I wrote for the 700wx in the following link. The new Java engine is called JBed, and you can find it here:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=152078

Note: Also attached is the shortcut for the Start Menu for quick launching Opera Mini, so you wouldn't have to register with treocentral to download it.

Updates (April 15, 2008)
    1) Font fix in the 'Recommended Tips' section below.
    2) New Version of Jbed Cab, here. I do not know what differences there are. JBed.exe is not compressed as in the CloudyFa version, so the executable is much bigger. You can UPX it to make it half as big if you wish. The jbed link also gets put under a Start->Programs SubFolder if you are having a hard time finding it. Connection fix still works. Seriously, may not be worth installing, you be the judge.

Recommended Tips:
    1) Suppressing the Connection Popup, see here.
    2) Font Fix, see here.
    3) Screen Glitch fix available *only* for the new version (above). A UPX (compressed) patched executable is available here.

Issues on Q:
    * Graphical Glitch at the bottom of the screen during installation, when selecting midlets and when writing text, but all Opera browsing functions work 100% (as they look above). *Edit* Fix available for newer version. See Recommended Tip #3.

Attached Files:

2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

looks nice.... makes me think maybe i should give Opera a whirl..

(ps. i can host the file if need be)
  3. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

host plz

By all means, it would certainly be helpful to those without TC accounts.

Instructions for Suppressing Connection Popup:

1. Copy selector.utf from \Windows\Appdb on the Q to a folder, the same folder where Fix.exe is (Fix.exe is inside Fix.zip, thanks Rudeboy for hosting this file) on your computer.
    2. Run Fix.exe, it will create a new selector.utf and a backup of the original, selector.bak.utf.
    3. Copy the new selector.utf and overwrite the original on the Q.

To make this manually with a Hex editor, just change "untrusted" to "tckmax " with 3 trailing spaces.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

email it to me plz :}
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Fix.zip

ok, here is the file: Fix.zip
  6. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

thanks rb! I've altered a post to include the info with the link.
  7. ii Candor ii

ii Candor ii New Member

Can you use Opera Mini on a non-Sprint Q? I have USC.
  8. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

i tried it on a Verizon Q, but frankly it shouldn't matter, it works on any or at least most Windows Mobile devices.
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

thanks... i am going to mess with it and see what it's all about,
  10. ii Candor ii

ii Candor ii New Member

I thought Opera Mini was a Java based browser and thought only Sprint Q's supported Java.

Can someone clear this up?
  11. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

Opera Mini IS java based, No Q comes with Java support.
    This thread is about how to add Java to your Q, then intalling Opera Mini.
  12. ii Candor ii

ii Candor ii New Member

Oh, well in that case I'll have to give it a shot. Opera Mini is way better than IE IMO.
  13. gmardre

gmardre New Member

So now that we have this Java program to run Opera Mini, will this same Java thingy run the GMail application?

gm
  14. scottjb

scottjb New Member

It is a Java application. You have to install IBM's J9 JVM on your device to us Opera Mini.
  15. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

Actually, no. This thread is about another JVM called JBed that you can install on your Q to run Opera Mini, which runs Midlets in full screen where appropriate.
  16. webcrush

webcrush New Member

I can't find a selector.utf file in /windows/appdb. Possibly somewhere else for us? The jbed file doesn't work for me either, as I believe the java shortcut reference s0_ is denoted in that file.
  17. webcrush

webcrush New Member

Ok, I figured it out finally, sorry but terrible directions.

Jbed is just another emulator, like J9, with the ability to install Jar files.

The selector.utf file is created by Jbed after it has been run and you have installed jar applications. To install them, launch the application and select Menu-->Install-->Local Files. It will then search your device for jar files and let you select the one you want. I had difficulty installing any from the Storage Card (couldn't do it from J9 either), so I had to keep the jar on the device. jad file didn't matter.

after you do that it will create its necessary files, including the selector.utf. You can then modify that file to over-ride the permissions. Inside there is also an alias name (ie--'s0_' which is the name you will want in your 'one click' .lnk file to launch the application)

for those not interested in using this new emulator, you can also over-ride the permissions in J9 by modifying the security.policy file in your J9/Midp20/lib directory and changing the security under the domain:untrusted section to be below "allow: " followed by whatever permision each line is for.

hope this helps.

i found the jbed one click link in full screen to work great with Opera mini, but not idea for other jars like Gmail.
  18. webcrush

webcrush New Member

btw, I'd kill if someone found a way to import bookmarks into Opera Mini and/or make the browser the default (ie--launch anytime a URL is accessed)
  19. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

thanks for expanding on directions, but you make the claim you HAVE to do those certain things.

If Opera Mini is the only installed application, s0 will be applicable for the shortcut, so the lnk file on the first post is adequate for those with no desire to peek inside selector.utf.

And as for Browse->Local Files, again an assumption that one keeps JAD & JAR files on their device. I don't. JBed installs a PIE plugin such that when the browser encounters a JAD or JAR file, it automatically launches JBed for installation. Browsing to http://mini.opera.com/beta will give you a download link which, when clicked, does just that.
  20. webcrush

webcrush New Member

Not true. I installed Gmail first and it had the alias shortcut of s1_. After I installed Opera Mini the Opera shortcut became s1_ and Gmail's became s-1