Opera Mini 4 on the Q9c?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by BrianFX, Nov 28, 2007.

1. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

Opera Mini 4 on the Q9c?

Anyone able to get it working? I can't even download it. The operamini.com site doesn't detect the phone model, and when I try to download Opera Mini 4, I get the error, "file cannot be viewed on this device".

edit- I'm guessing it's a lack of java issue, though I thought JVM came with WM6..
  2. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

Here's what i did:
    1. grab and install the jbed midlet manager in this post:
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=445655&sid=d07ceafb34b776b607b615140845e740

2. launch jbed -> menu -> install -> browser

3. when the browser opens, point it to the address of the .jad file of either the generic basic or generic advanced (your choice). currently, they point here:
    basic - http://mini.opera.com/global/opera-mini-3.1.9746-basic-int.jad
    advanced - http://mini.opera.com/global/opera-mini-4.0.9800-advanced-int.jad

4. once there, jbed will take over installation. just 'ok' through all the prompts.

5. to launch opera mini once it's installed, launch jbed again and select Opera Mini in the list.
  3. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

Thanks. Is JBED better than IBM J9 for mobile java?
  4. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

i only used jbed and it worked on the first go around so i didn't put in J9 to do a comparison. (the steps should be similar, though.)
  5. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Much better. Full screen and the backspace works. I like mini better than mobile and the price is better (free). My most used browser on the Q.
  6. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

who would be at fault with the ugly opera mini fonts? is it the browser or java client?
  7. DrQ

DrQ New Member

There was a Font fix for J9 that I was using 4 months ago. The new java app doesn't seem bad.
  8. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

Wow, it's amazing how much faster OM4 is vs IE! :laugh2: I wish I could set OM4 to be loaded automatically from the home screen, and from html links in emails. It's ridiculous how much slower IE runs vs this.

Fonts look fine to me..
  9. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Dunno about html links from emails, but you can add a shortcut to OM4 to your start menu (which, presumably, you could add to your start screen, depending on your homescreen). In the Software forum, look for the thread titled Opera Mini and the new full screen midlet thingy (or something like that), and there's a link in there to how to set up a shortcut on your start menu (as well as a fix to get rid of that connection popup screen). I used it on my Q9m, and now my Q9c as well, and it works great. Note that the shortcut is set up to point to the midlet first installed in Jbed. If OM4 was not the first midlet installed, then the shortcut needs to be edited using Wordpad on your desktop (i.e., s0 in the shortcut should be changed to s1 or s2, etc., depending on how many other midlets were installed through Jbed).
  10. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

Been happily using Opera Mini4 for days now and it's really impressive. The full page viewing with zoom cursor makes surfing nearly as seamless as on the desktop.

I figured if Mini is this good, surely Opera Mobile 8.65 must be even better. Shockingly, Opera Mobile is nearly as slow and clunky as PIE is! First and foremost, scrolling web pages is choppy just like PIE (a huge peeve of mine, choppy scrolling, amazing how Mini has smooth page scrolling). Secondly, there's no cursor zoom feature! How on earth is this $24 while the superior Mini is free?
  11. danwo

danwo New Member

Wait, OM4 is better than IE in just about every way except I cannot play ANY, and I mean ANY, videos. WTF?! :angry:
  12. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Correct...lots of threads out there on videos....best way is TCPMP via IE. OM4 does not actually give you the web page as HTML or as written but repackages the page on its server to a compact format which it then send to the Q resident program. Cool and quick for phones. Another program using an intermediate sever to translate and feed was being tested 6 months ago to a limited number of users. That was called Deepfish but I haven't heard anything in awhile. Anybody?
  13. danwo

danwo New Member

IE... well... beats nothing. Deepfish, huh? Quick google session begins... and ends in bullcrap.
  14. papaslides

papaslides New Member

Jbed on Moto Q9c

Hello, I just recently got my Motorola Q9c running Windows Mobile 6. I have jbed installed to run OM4 as well as Jabp Lite (probably the best java financial tracker program ever made, and it's free www.freepoc.org) Anyhow, jbed runs funny on my phone, it must be programmed for a different screen resolution as it leaves this annoying bar of dead space at the bottom where you can see a small bit of my phones home screen. This carries over into every app that does not run full screen. I have tried switching over to IBM's J9 JVM but that doesn't work either as although it aesthetically is better, it does not register the Q's back button as backspace, so once you type a character there is no deleting it, which obviously makes it unuseable. What I'm looking for is suggestions on other JVM's to try or how to make jbed work properly on my phone.

Thank you for any help
  15. danwo

danwo New Member

You should try installing it again, that may work.
  16. papaslides

papaslides New Member

Ok so I got IBM J9 to work, but by using the IBM "copy and paste" installation method (which means no handy shortcut in the start menu) AND the installation process is way complicated (pointing the instilation thing to the correct url) and even then when I try to install opera mini 4 it asks for air time permission then the installing bar gets almost full then it just dies and goes back to the IBM launch screen. So not sure what to do here, if IBM J9 is going to be the one I go with I need to make it easier to use... i.e. launch from start menu, have a shortcut to apps using .lnk files (like i used for Opera Mini 4 with JBED) and then still work as well/better as JBED. Any suggestions would be greatly needed at this point.
  17. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

This happens to me when I first launch jbed, then launch OM4. When it asks me if I want to allow net access, I can see the bar on the bottom showing me the home screen. However, once OM4 is running, I never see that issue again.

I think it's just a bug with the alert windows in jbed. Did you still see the bar once OM4 was running?
  18. Breeze Loo

Breeze Loo New Member

i avoid this little annoyance by launching jbed via a speed dial (i have it set to 22). if you notice when you launch through a speed dial, the bottom of the screen is white, which then appears "blank" when the jbed window comes up.
  19. danwo

danwo New Member

Why not just use smarttoolkit?
  20. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

What does that do in regards to Jbed?