Old G3 IMac!!

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by Karie, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Karie

Karie New Member

Old G3 IMac!!

Hi everyone, I just bought my Moto Q and love it already! The one problem is I need Tiger to download MissingSync. My question is can I even upgrape my operating system on the older Imac to Tiger and if I do can I then use MissingSync?

Thank You!
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

As long as there are not processor requirements, you can use the USB connection on your iMac after upgrading to Tiger. Just be sure you have a suitable amount of RAM for Tiger (512MB). 256 will not be enough.

-Chris
  3. Karie

Karie New Member

Thank you,

I'm planning on getting a new Mac in January, so I'll just wait.

The main thing I want to be able to do with my Q is synch my address book, and calendar but also be able to watch movies and listen to mp3. That said I was reading some of the posts and the more I read them the more confused I get :)

Can you explain to me in layman's terms the exact process I need to be able to watch and listen to downloaded movies and audio files. I know there's free shareware player but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Thank you
    Karie
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

If you are getting a new Mac, then all you need is Missing Sync. That will enable you to sync iCal and Address Book.

With regards to movies, you need to convert them to a playable format. In order to do so, you'll need a program called Handbrake. I just noticed they have a new app called Instant Handbrake. I'm guessing the iPod settings would work just fine for the Q.

There is a freeware player called TCPMP and that's available here in our free Motorola software downloads section. They have released a commercial version that supports MPEG 4, it's called CorePlayer.

Good luck with your new Mac!
  5. Raindance

Raindance New Member

Older iMac. How old?

If your 'old' iMac has firewire you're in luck. Upgrading to 10.4 is easy. However if yours is really old (like my Lime 266) it only has old slow USB 1.1. But fret not! You can still install Tiger using XPostFacto. The following link at LowEndMac will get you going in the right direction:

http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-c.shtml

The other problem is the older iMacs only had CD drives. Tiger was distributed mainly on DVD. However Apple did release CDs but getting them nowadays is kinda hard. So even if you get XPostFacto to do the Tiger install you may not get Tiger on because of no CDs. I've installed Tiger up to the lastest updates (10.4.8) on both my old 266 Lime iMac and my old 300 Tangerine iBook. Both are CD only and no firewire (which is a requirement for a Tiger installation) using XPostFacto. The thing that surprised me the most is that with these machines maxed out on RAM and a fast hard drive Tiger ain't bad on them (changing the hard drive in a Clamshell iBook is a bitch too let me tell ya). Anyway, if you need more pointers let me know. I'll check this thread over the next few days to if you need some help.
    -rain-
  6. Karie

Karie New Member

re: old Imac

Thanks Rain,

I could have used that info before my hardrive crashed. :smile:
    I brought it in for service; new HD, and asked them upgrade to software to Tiger. No idea how they did it but it works smooth as can be now. Plus I was fishing the net and found a link for the demo of missingsynch for 14. SWEET!
    Everything's been working like a charm.

Thank you for you input.
  7. Raindance

Raindance New Member

Good, good good!

Sweet! I'm glad for you. And yeah, video will work fine on the Q and a Mac. I use "Squint" or "Handbrake Lite" to create the video then play it in TCPMP. Only catch is you're gonna need the AAC audio codec for TCPMP. It can be found on the net but not at the TCPMP site anymore. Apple got a little goofy about it. As far as MP3 files, I just drag them straight from iTunes over to the MiniSD card after I mount it on my iMac G5. They play just fine on the Q.
    -rain-