OK- so Papyrus VS. XTreme Agenda

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by tngirl, Jul 13, 2006.

1. insulator

insulator New Member

Desktop Version of Wallet

I thought this was coming in version 2.x of Extreme Agenda? Any idea when it will hit?
  2. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

Its still being worked on. I had a few things come up in the version of eXtreme Agenda I was working on and hoping to release last week. That should be released today or tomorrow now and then I will continue work on the desktop wallet. It should be out in the next couple weeks...
  3. insulator

insulator New Member

Extrene Agenda Desktop Wallet

Beginning to sound a little like the Alltel Q. Always just beyond my reach...
  4. sulster

sulster Active Member

well, that seems a bit...harsh. Birdsoft has always been responsive and true to it's promises as far as I can tell.
  5. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

Its coming, Id show you a screenshot if it would help...

And since I plan on being at my local Alltel store when it opens tomorrow to get mine (since they come out tomorrow FINALLY), I guess that isnt quite as bad a statement as it was say...in January....

Im finishing up 2.25 of eXtreme Agenda, which should be in your reach in the next couple hours too... Pretty cool features in there, including the next month preview, and the ability to check for updates over the internet and download them from within the program, among many other enhancements...
  6. insulator

insulator New Member

Meant to be more humorous than harsh. Didn't realize the "Alltel Q" would cause such deep feelings.

Hopefully picking up my own Alltel Q soon--but I've been hurt too many times to be sure. I will definitely be considering Extreme Agenda with the Wallet, and can't wait for notes to synchronize. That would fill all my needs.
  7. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

Version 2.25 of XA

Thanks, I didnt take it harsh. It actually got me excited again thinking that the wait is finally over!! Or BETTER BE!!!

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier:

------------------------------------------------------

Birdsoft is pleased to announce the release of Version 2.25 of eXtreme Agenda, the premiere Personal Information Manager for your Windows Mobile Smartphone(Standard). This new version adds a number of great enhancements including Windows Mobile 6 Support, Next Month Preview on Calendar, Internet In Program Updates, Custom Recurrences, Blackjack and Dash full Keyboard Support, and many others...

eXtreme Agenda is currently available for the Sale Price of only $19.95! Save 20% Now.

[​IMG]

New 'Next Month Preview' on Calendar!

eXtreme Agenda

A FREE trial is available so be sure to check it out!

Thanks
  8. Csquared

Csquared New Member

Great update. I see you made the text larger in the preview pane. Its great to see that you listen to your users. Its exactly what I wanted.

Thanks
  9. sulster

sulster Active Member

Oh! sorry--sometimes I'm a bit obtuse!:) Heck, I don't even know what the Alltel Q is! :)

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program...
  10. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

Yep, a ton of the features in this are actually suggestions including...

Bigger Preview Text, Custom Recurrences, OTA Updates, Overdue Tasks Move Up, Tasks/Appts screen page up/down(1 and 3), Start On Today, Clock on Title, and even the next month preview....

I Like Suggestions!!!! :)

Thanks

(and a note, if you have 2.25, there is a 2.25.1 that brings back Date Items(Birthdays/Anniversaries). It should be available thru the OTA update, 'Check for Updates' in the Options Menu.)
  11. garth

garth New Member

Google Calendar

I have plowed through alot of posts, and i am sure i am not the first to ask, but couldn't find it addressed, any plans for Google Calendar in the near future? Oggsync wont work will it?
  12. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Papyrus supports the default PIM database on Windows Mobile devices. If Google calendar or Oggsync update the default PIM database, then Papyrus will work. I hope this answers your question.
  13. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

It appears that OggSync just synchs to the standard Pocket Outlook Databases, which is what both eXtreme Agenda and Papyrus use so...

It appears to be a solution for you...
  14. tom21

tom21 New Member

Birdsoft (Brian?): I am a current user of Papyrus and have been for some time. Upon seeing the maturation of your program, based upon screenshots in this forum and others, I finally decided to give it a try. Here are my initial impressions:

1. Wow!! It's so much prettier than papyrus:smile: . The gradient feature is a nice touch and the color schemes are much more easily customizable. I also like how you can save all your settings and modifications under a theme.

2. The large preview pane on the right side of the month view is AWESOME!!!:2cool: !!! I use my calendar heavily and enter 10-15 appointments each day. In Papyrus and previous versions of EA you could not see more than just the first 2-3 appointments on each day in the preview pane. This larger preview pane makes the screen real estate so much more usable on the Motorola Q. I can now find appointments much more easily and can scan for openings or conflicts with proposed meetings dates without having to change to a daily view. This alone is enough to make my buy this program over Papyrus.

3. The clock in the icon bar is also a great feature. Like I mentioned earlier, I use my calendar quite heavily and spend all kinds of time without access to the system clock. Having the clock up there is very nice and keeps me on track.

4. The ability to sort call history by contact is nice. I can see how for a sales person this could be a very powerful solution for tracking sales calls.

5. The presence of a search function is obviously a step up from Papyrus. One thing that I have noticed though is that when the search query returns multiple results you can't go back to that list. Example: I searched for meeting with Dan. I get three results and I go to the first looking for notes on a specific conversation. The first item in the search result was not the item I was looking for. At this point I hit the back button but then the search results are now gone. I must then re-search and then go to the second and then re-search and go to the third. It would be awesome if this could be addressed in a future update.

6. Lag Time:
    6A. I had read in another post by a different user that there was the presence of a minor wait time when scrolling in the daily view. I have noticed this as well. As i mentioned I have a large amount of information synced. I have 10-15 appointments a day with a notes section of about a paragraph for every other entry. I don't know if this is what is causing the lag. This is a very minor issue and is quite bearable.

6B. On a much more important note, I experience a consistent wait time of about 10-12 seconds when scrolling from one month to another in the month view. I have noticed this behavior only upon initially changing to another month. Example: I open EA and it was not running in the background. It is April and I want to scan days in the month view for a recent meeting. I can't find it in April so I need to look in March and possibly February. When scrolling initially to a different month I always have to wait 10+ seconds for each month to load. Once the month has loaded, then this is not an issue and the scrolling is much more immediate and no lag is noticeable when going from month to month. But, once the program is closed then the wait time returns. I would not mind this if i could just leave the program running and have the months loaded once but this behavior also occurs anytime a new appointment is entered.

To be fair, there also seems to be a significat wait time when going from month to month in Papyrus.

6C. I also have a significant wait time of about 12-15 seconds when entering a new appointment after hitting the done button which only happens with EA and not Papyrus. This is a deal breaker for me despite all of the other significat advantages that EA has over papyrus. I can not wait 10 plus seconds after pressing done when entering a new appointment. I would love to see this addressed in a future update (Note, I have an aforementioned Motorola Q with the latest firmware update, no other programs are running in the background and have had no lockups or any issues all other commands in other programs occur without lag or issue).

Well I hope that this input will be of value to either you or a prospective buyer of this product. Overall I was very impressed with the program and it has some definite features that put it head-and-shoulders above the other products out there. I hope that there is some way to address some of the lag issues that I mentioned. I congratulate you on the great work that you have done on this product and can't wait to see what the future holds for you and EA:smile: !!

---Tom
  15. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

Thanks for all the great feedback. I appreciate it.

5. I will consider implementing this in an upcoming version as I can see how this would be useful, and have other search changes and optimizations planned as well...

6a-b-c

Yes, This is due to the fact that you have 10-15 appointments a day each day, so that is a ton of information to load in, and while Microsoft claims that
    the Development API they give us is quick enough for us to use, it really is lacking. We have done a ton to speed this up to about as optimized as we can. And so far we were able to speed up task and contact loading by bypassing this API, but due to recurring appointments, this is not quite as straightforward, but is still planned in an upcoming version . Obviously the people that arent quite so intensive with their calendars dont notice this at even close to the degree you do.....

I should be able to eliminate the lag time after a New Appointment as I assume I am re-loading the month after this, which is causing you the same
    wait as when the initial month loads. On lesser datasets(the vast majority) this isn't a problem, but yes we agree that for you and others with huge schedules that it is a real problem, and I can possibly eliminate this re-load...

Thanks again, as I appreciate great feedback like this and will do all I can to keep optimizing our product....
  16. rubinproj

rubinproj New Member

I register a copy of EA lately. I'm from Israel meaning i writing in hebrew and i noticed a big problem when i enter tasks/appointments in hebrew. word are going one on enother, its almost impossible to edit existing tasks/appointments. I tried agenda one end its working well in hebrew, what i can do?
  17. jim9112

jim9112 New Member

version 2.25.1 wont install on my q. It keeps saying install unsucessful

nevermind, my q was acting up, after a reboot it installed just fine
  18. tom21

tom21 New Member

Brian: Thank you so much for your thorough reply to my initial observations. Your presence here on this forum and on others is refreshing and a testament to the kind of customer service and support that can be expected with the purchase of this product..... I just wish I could get all the information I have on my calendar to cooperate with phone. :frown: I am now thinking my probelms are not an issue with your software or others but rather a hardware limitation.

I wondered if you could help me clarify something.

So, you said the API that microsoft provides is what is primarily responsible for the lag that occurs when processing large numbers of appointments? If this is the case then it would seem that no matter what software I choose I will expereince similar lag time for each. I could definitely attest to this statement because I have tried three different calendar programs and all of them take 10+ second to load a month's worth of information.

I was looking over at your site and noticed that you have a PPC calendar program as well. Do you know of any similar lag issues with the MS API loading large amounts of appointments as mentioned above on a PPC device. If this is the way to go I would definitely consider buying a PPC and switching to your Ulti-Planner software.

Thanks again for your help:smile:

---Tom
  19. nivek911

nivek911 New Member

I installed Extreme Agenda today and it appears nice. However, one feature I use occassionaly doesn't appear to be there for contacts. Is there a Find Online feature like the build in Q Contact Manager?
  20. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

On the Smartphone I would guess this to be true. Unless they write similar things that bypass this API, they are dealing with the same limitations, and since we have bypassed and optimized a lot, ours is going to be much faster
    in some areas... And other areas will get faster soon...

Yes, it has the same limitations as it uses the exact same API. And I have not yet had the oppertunity to update UP to the WM5 bypass code, so will be slower yet if you have a lot of tasks or contacts....