OK- so Papyrus VS. XTreme Agenda

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by tngirl, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

I know users use the application with Facade and Ill be more than happy to add and/or share any APIs I have to add more advanced interaction with SBSH, but it does work the way you would expect if you have taken over the
    default shortcuts(settings in main setting screen).

I have the "incoming calls" thing on my list for consideration in one of the next versions!

Thanks again...
  2. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Awesome! You guys rock! =)
  3. gw63

gw63 New Member

I'm giving eXtreme Agenda another trial shot, but I must be doing something wrong. Only my Tasks are showing up in the calendar - no appointments.

Also, are there any instructions other than this forum and trial & error?
    How long does the trial last before it times out?
  4. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

There are FAQ and a Forum and User Guide on our site at www.birdsoft.biz.

Your Appointment thing is I believe the first question in the FAQ. Try the "regional appt fix" option under schedule options to see if that helps with the
    Appointments showing..

Thanks
  5. gw63

gw63 New Member

Birdsoft,

I've searched your forum and looked at the FAQ and can't find what you mentioned. No "regional appt fix". On my Q, I don't have any "schedule options" to change that I can find. The only "Options" I seem to have are "Select Views", "Category Setup", etc.

I downloaded from your site the "Cab File Only", approx 270 KB. Should I have downloaded the other file at 305K?

It seems like I don't have a fully functional version.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
  6. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

When you can see the options "Select Views" and "Category Setup" push the lower right softkey and in the menu there will be a choice for "Schedule Options". Hope this helps...
  7. gw63

gw63 New Member

It helped very much. Now I'll get in there and see what all I can do. Thanks!
  8. Corvida

Corvida New Member

I'm using XTreme Agenda. So far I love it. The only gripe I have is that I'm coming from the Treo 650 to the Q and I absolutely love the calendar that the treo has mainly because I can select with days I'd like certain appts to be for. If I want it on Monday, Thursday, & Friday, I can do that with ease. I've yet to figure out how to do it with Xtreme Agenda except by copy the original appt and changing the date.
  9. ChinnoDog

ChinnoDog New Member

Ok, so I have tried both Extreme Agenda and Papyrus. Am I allowed to not like either one? I mean, I know I need something. The tasks that comes with Smartphone '05 is just plain weak. Sacrificing simplicity and elegance is difficult on a device that should only require a few button presses at a time. Some real problems to me are:
    -My tasks are cluttered with things that are already complete! I don't care about those!
    -bad separation of calender and tasks. Combining them is nice for a summary, but really irritating when you want to work with one or the other. Not everyone is calender centric.
    -Closing tasks is unintuitive in both applications. In Papyrus it is on the menu. In Agenda it is a right or left arrow, which intuitively should be reserved for scrolling pages quickly. (And hence, the lack of a fast page scroll is a problem in Agenda too.)
    -Applying views can be tedious
    -Category separation would be nice. Just because Microsoft has a shared category list on Smartphone doesn't mean you have to use the same ones for tasks and appointments

Anyway, end result is that Papyrus seems to me a lot more powerful, especially with all those views. But, it is still the lesser of two evils. I'm not sure I will use either one yet.

In response to the monkey comment, I said that about the WinXP and Office XP interfaces were new (just look at the stupid Outlook 2003 icon!! Compare with the old one.). However, in this case I would have to say there is beauty in simplicity.
  10. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Try Agenda One

Of course. Have you tried Agenda One? It has a Display Tasks option to turn tasks off on the Calendar views. (I suspect that both Papyrus and XTreme Agenda do, too, but maybe Agenda One's method will work better for you.)

Steve
  11. ChinnoDog

ChinnoDog New Member

I just looked at the screen shots. It looks just as bad. However, I installed Oxios ToDo about half an hour ago and have been playing with it. I think this is the thing I really needed. Calender and Contacts works good enough for me. Oxios tasks has a every setting imaginable for managing tasks. These are the things that were missing from the others. I'm happy with this. :)
  12. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

Just to clear it up a little bit for other readers as Im guessing you missed a lot of the functionality of XA by your responses.

You can hide completed Tasks in XA. (and yes, you can turn tasks off in the calendar).

Were you on the Task View, as that is a view with only tasks and so there is no need to be "calendar centric". If you never even found this view then Im assuming you missed most of the program, and it has as many views, actually more, than Papyrus.

What would be intuitive? We have it in the menu or left/right or space bar. And we do not agree that left/right should be only for scrolling pages. It has different uses on different views.

No idea what this means?

Actually based on the MS Outlook defined data that we write against, yes it kind of does mean this...

See Above. You must have missed about 90% of the functionality of XA.

But yes, it sounds like you need something like Oxios....

Thanks
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Palm User

Regarding separate Categories:

I'm wondering if Chinno was a Palm user. Apparently Palm had separate category lists across applications (and maybe even across records).

Nothing really prevents you (or any other PIM) from supporting this, though. You could have a "Common Categories" or "Outlook Categories" field for the Outlook categories and a "Custom Categories" field for user-defined application (or record) categories.

Those non-Outlook categories obviously would be maintained in a separate file and wouldn't sync, but it's a thought. (In Ulti-Planner on the Pocket PC, which offers file synchronization, you could even sync them to the PC for safety.)

Do any other Windows Mobile PIMs offer custom categories like that? (Personally, I think they'd be a waste of time. Unless you have dozens of categories, a common category list is easier to maintain and it's not that hard to differentiate Calendar-specific categories from Contact-specific categories.)

Steve
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

newbie ?

i'm still pretty "green" w/ all this.. but i do use Outlook on my laptop for tasks, appoinments and contact managment (and yes, it even allows you to sent e-mail :} anyway... XA takes over above mentioned things except e-mail ? and it syncs w/ Outlook ?
  15. scottjb

scottjb New Member

@rb,

The basic concept is that these two PIMs take over the interface. The Outlook database remains intact, which provides the compatibility with PC Outlook and the ability to sync.

Each product brings with it features that may not be available in Outlook, especially the mobile vesion, which lacks severely in certain areas.
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

aha.. that explains it, so if i am understading it correctly those 'extras' would need to be added/entered on the phone or are they available on the PC Outlook version ?

2ndly: if i test ride one of these programs and uninstalled them for some reason, would i still be able to use the mobile version as before the install ?

thanks!
  17. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Most of the features that the mobile Outlook lacks, that these PIMs provide on the mobile, are things that are available in desktop Outlook. The mobile PIM applications extend the features to the mobile platform.

In addition to those items, each PIM may provide views and customizations not found in either version of Outlook.

And yes, if you remove them, your mobile will revert back to Pocket Outlook.
  18. malatesta

malatesta New Member

I've tried both and both are really solid products.

I decided to stick with Papyrus though not b/c it did more but if anything, b/c it did less :tounge:

Fact is, I didn't need all the things XTreme Agenda offered even though it did work very well.

All I needed was a more robust Calendar/Tasks app with nice graphics and customizablity and Papyrus fit that. But if I did need those extras, XTreme Agenda would have been my choice.
  19. sulster

sulster Active Member

Steve:
    I believe that on Datebk5/6, which was a suped up calendar program for Palm, you could have 16 categories for Tasks and 16 categories for Appointments. However, I don't believe those then translated to the Outlook or the Palm Desktop unless you had a 3rd party syncing software (I used Chapura's.)

IIRC.
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

thanks.. i have to check them out one of these days, so much to check out and so little time :}